Why become a member? ×

Do Bassists always get slagged off

arabassist

Hello,

Sorry if I'm ranting like an old man. I'm just curious if all Bass-tards (bassists) get slagged off by their smaller, weaker and more feminine cousins: the G-tards (g**tarists).

People say to me "Oh bass is so easy, only 4 strings...bla bla...you have no sense of melody...". What do most bassists come back with? I generally insult their lack of rhythm, or if i'm really annoyed I insult their lack of manliness. Sometimes, I say to them "two words for ya: slap and pop...you try doing that...." and they immediately shut up.

Frankly I find it quite arrogant and annoying cos I get slagged off cos what I play is 'easier' or it 'doesn't hurt my fingers'. I've played guitar several times and I find it so much less painful to play (and more painful to hear). I don't see what's so much more difficult about strumming loads of strings 75% of the time.

Anyone feel the same?

I may have to resort to counseling :)

I don't slap or pop either, but the ultimate shield is being able to play "their" instrument as well, knowing they couldn't really do the same job on the bass. And being able to play the mandolin as well.

We recorded a song some months ago, where one of the G-tarists just could not get the rhythm guitar track down against the drums. In comes the bass player, on guitar,and gets it down 1st take :) .

it doesnt bother me... maybe because ive never heard such comments, as a matter of fact, i always joke around telling ppl "yes, im a bassist, and you probably wont know im there until im gone."

maybe one of the reasons i dont get slagged off by guitarists is because i play death metal and having only 1 guitarist brings me up on the mix all the time...

Nope, never had it but I think if I did I would adopt a pseudo Swiss/German accent and say, "So tell me about your childhood and your relationship with your mother..."

This approach usually has people weeping like Sicilian grandmothers at a funeral within twenty minutes ;-)

[quote name='arabassist' post='339001' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:30 PM']Hello,

= "Oh bass is so easy,

......[/quote]

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

It has been quite a while since I have received such meaningless derogation!

My current guitarist is actually a good bass player (better than I am a guitarist!) so no, we don't have those sorts of arguments. People have told me that bass is easier than guitar in the past. I just agree with them. I think it's the lazy person inside me.

Anyway, while you're all arguing about who is the most talented you're not going to be making very nice music. Maybe you should point that out.

[quote name='arabassist' post='339001' date='Nov 27 2008, 10:30 PM']Hello,

Sorry if I'm ranting like an old man. I'm just curious if all Bass-tards (bassists) get slagged off by their smaller, weaker and more feminine cousins: the G-tards (g**tarists).

People say to me "Oh bass is so easy, only 4 strings...bla bla...you have no sense of melody...". What do most bassists come back with? I generally insult their lack of rhythm, or if i'm really annoyed I insult their lack of manliness. Sometimes, I say to them "two words for ya: slap and pop...you try doing that...." and they immediately shut up.[/quote]

Short answer: John Paul Jones.

Well, as a "live specimen" of someone who is primarily a player of the, er, smaller-stringed variety(and by all means click on my sig for full proof of weak effeminacy), my attitude about bass players is that the ones I've met and worked with are more musical, creative, reliable, discerning, relaxed and less egocentric than we guitarists.
It was until this post at least(arf!) :huh:
I was only opining yesterday, to a fellow BCer who warmly invited me into his home to play his collection, that I've frequently found other guitarists to often manifest something akin to jealousy and to musically talk more than listen, and thus what a refreshingly encouraging and personable bunch I've found bass players to be.
...which is partly why I'm aiming to become one also.
I'm sure this is not universally the case, but I've generally found the tenet among bassists to be "inclusion", whereas exclusion has often shown itself in many guitarists I've shared with.
I promise I won't rearrange "exception" and "rule" to make a well-known phrase or saying. :)

I play in three Bands with two different guitarists, both are appreciative of the bass and what the instrument and musician brings to the band. They both encourage me to experiment when playing and even more so to solo. I think guitarists who slag off bass players are in a minority and would presume there are also other musicians, bass players included, who are of the opinion that the world revolves around them. Being in a band is to be part of a team and I think the most simple supporting bass line offers so much to the song, and echo the comment above that you really notice the bass player when he's gone.

So lets not slag off guitarist `per se' as it's such a generalisation, just as, not all bass players are kind, understanding, obliging, etc etc. Although as is my experience of this forum I think most are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, drumming is easy ...................... not!

Cheers

Charla

I like to point out that there is a massive surplus of guitarists and a shortage of good bass players.

In short - they can be easily replaced, and I can't.

Failing that I charm their girlfriends, using all the social skills I developed out on the town while they were in their bedrooms alone practising speed metal licks.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='339216' date='Nov 28 2008, 08:40 AM']Hetfield - bassist. Hammet played no rhythm guitar on the first 3 Metallica albums, all Hetfield layered up.[/quote]
So you mean it was just Cliff, Lars and James kicking ass (well, Cliff at any rate) those albums?