Why become a member? ×

Number of songs for audition

11 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

In answer to various questions - they have gigs on the books (generally in pubs) and yes they are looking for someone who can learn a lot in a short space of time. They are definitely not borderline morons - I've seen their videos on Facebook, and the quality is damn good. I've also played with the drummer in a previous band and I know that he knows his onions.

S.P.

Go for it. Sounds like an audition you shouldn't let slip from you grasp. Learn the songs, impress the hell out of them and get the gig.

After reading rest of the thread and hearing from guys that know them i would probably change my approach and try and do as many as possible if its the band you've been waiting for. Sounds like they are a serious gigging band so give it your best shot. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I personally would not pick a new member for our band just based on three songs for an audition.

If it’s a current covers band that is looking for a new member, you would provide the current full set list with keys (ours are always in the original) and say pick out 6 and play them with the band at the audition.

My bass role in the current band, I managed 9 numbers at my audition and got the job.

Our current vocalist for his first audition nailed 12 songs, he got the job.

• Like 1

If i was auditioning someone for my band it would be based on how well he played the given songs and his ability to blend with the band members rather than how many songs he got thru but missed parts. He needs to nail the parts of the song where the bass is more prominent or recognizable. Quality rather than quantity for me.

If he gets 9 out of 11 almost perfect but during that he managed to gel with the band and came across as a nice person that would get along on a personal level then that would be my gut instinct. 

Sounds like this band are looking for a bass player that comes from a similar background and has already been playing most of the set in their current or recent band set up.

Dave

If you moan about having to learn 11 songs for the audition,  then that tells them that you probably don't have the time or inclination to learn the other 30 or so songs in their set.

If you really want to join the band, it's best to just learn the songs and appear keen and professional (you can take notes - I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with that).

Imagine a job interview where they set a presentation that has to be delivered, and the interviewee decides to not do it. Two ways of looking at it I suppose, the interviewee is either supremely confident of getting the job irrespective, or certain not to. I know which way I`d see it going. I also know if I wanted the job I`d do the damn presentation.

I agree Lozz, but context does matter; if there were hundreds of people going for the job, you had a half hour interview slot, and they asked you to prepare a 2 hour presentation... But you’re right, if you want the job...

For me... i guess my utility depends on how many people they’re auditioning, how long the slot is, and how much time it will take me to learn the tracks. 

When setting auditions I do take these elements into account, and am mindful not to waste people’s time. Often a second stage of auditions can help, with an increase of material for a couple of the strongest applicants. I think how mainstream the material is needs to be considered as well. Asking someone to learn original material would reduce my expectations on number of tracks to be auditioned too. 

On 08/06/2018 at 10:34, Stylon Pilson said:

Haha, you say that, but historically I've tended to be a little too conflict-averse.

I think that, on the basis of the responses so far, it would make sense for me to accept all the songs but not be afraid of not 100%ing all of them.

S.P.

Conflict is all well and good once you are a band member, for an audition do what is asked for. In fact, learn 11 and see if they let you play the extra one.

Auditions work both ways, not only are they trying you out, you are (or you should be) sizing them up as well. I can't remember ever learning stuff for an audition, I just turn up and busk it, it shows that you're flexible, and life's too short to commit to learning a dozen songs just so they can take the drummer's mate instead.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

In answer to various questions - they have gigs on the books (generally in pubs) and yes they are looking for someone who can learn a lot in a short space of time. They are definitely not borderline morons - I've seen their videos on Facebook, and the quality is damn good. I've also played with the drummer in a previous band and I know that he knows his onions.

S.P.

Oh well, that's good news! :)

Onward and upward.

If you really want the position, learn all the songs. Not only that, I'd completely nail them, too. One band I very much wanted to join asked me to learn three songs... I found a recent gig of theirs on YouTube and learned pretty much their entire set. This blew the competition completely out of the water. Like I say, it depends on how much you want the position...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Yeah but in this case 👉👈 am the drummer's mate 😝.

S.P.

In that case, forget learning the songs, just try to turn up on the right day!

I got booted from a band I'd joined when I first moved back here a few years ago because the BL wanted a particular drummer in, and he wouldn't play unless his mate was on bass. 

I've got an audition on Friday - with 8 songs to learn: which is kinda reasonable: 3 songs with a male singer, 3 with a female singer and 2 duets. It's a new band to actually playing together for 90mins or so will be valuable. 5 days to learn 8 songs is fair (and they are all 80/90s soul so no mustang sally or sex on fire to busk!). 

• Like 1

So am I the only one not really understanding why 11 songs with weeks of notice is an issue? Are they 10 minute jazz pieces? A dream theater cover band? If we're talking standard rock covers then 11 songs should be very doable! Especially the if you want the gig! 

• Like 1

Don't think learning 11 standard songs in a couple of weeks is too difficult for most people. For me its more about why so many for an audition. Surely 3-5 songs is more than enough to judge someone's ability on bass or any instrument for that matter especially if you pick a varied selection of songs that will make the bass part stand out a bit and ensure he is tested rather than just 3-5 plodders with nothing much for the bassist to do.

I would have to question the bands ability to be able to judge if they ask me to learn 11 songs for an audition. If i can't impress in 3-5 songs then playing 11 isn't gonna be much better in my opinion.

Unless as you've already mentioned you are the drummers.

2 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Yeah but in this case 👉👈 am the drummer's mate 😝.

S.P.

The drummer may have told them you already know and play these songs in another band and it should be a skoosh for you.

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The drummer may have told them you already know and play these songs in another band and it should be a skoosh for you.

Nice theory but it's not that. I think it's just genuinely that they haven't stopped to think "how many do we need" and are thinking more along the lines of "what's the most we can reasonably ask for?"

Anyway, I'm getting on nicely, I'm 8/11 of the way through composing my "cheat sheet", and as we all know, once you've decomposed the song enough to write the cheat sheet, it's as good as memorised.

S.P.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Nice theory but it's not that. I think it's just genuinely that they haven't stopped to think "how many do we need" and are thinking more along the lines of "what's the most we can reasonably ask for?"

Anyway, I'm getting on nicely, I'm 8/11 of the way through composing my "cheat sheet", and as we all know, once you've decomposed the song enough to write the cheat sheet, it's as good as memorised.

S.P.

Yep that's the way i work. Listen to song few times and play along to get a feel for it then write out the bass line note for note. Occasionally i write down the song structure before the bass part and by time i've done all that i already know the song enough to gig it.

Have you checked out what keys the band play in or was that mentioned on the outset. ?

Think you've already nailed this job sir. Good luck and well done in advance of getting it :D

Dave

On 08/06/2018 at 04:39, Happy Jack said:

Agreed. Don't know about you but I genuinely enjoy learning new material, especially stuff I would never normally have tackled.

The most fun I've had in the last month was learning Happy by Pharrell Williams, and learning it properly so that I could absolutely nail it.

The band loved my performance at the audition for "first-choice dep bass player". So much so that they decided they needed a better full-time bass player. But because I play in other bands they also decided not to offer the role to me ...

Bwahahahaha!!! Bands, don't you just love 'em?

For busy gigging bands, bringing in a guy that's even in one other gigging band can be problematic. Not impossible, however schedule conflicts are inevitable. Worse cases, cancellations and having to turn down gigs.

Depping at the gigging bar band level, very few opportunities for that in my neck of the woods 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I got the gig. Ended up being a bit more than 2 weeks, as they had to reschedule the original audition date, but these things happen. There was one other candidate - I arrived about half an hour early, so was able to sit in my car and eavesdrop on how it was going for him (hot night, windows open). His tone and rhythm were okay, but he was making very noticeable mistakes in every song. It only took me a couple of minutes after pulling up to realise that as long as I avoided a total brain meltdown, I should be able to walk this. While my playing wasn't perfect, I had the structure of the songs down, so I could move into the transitions with confidence. Plus, I'm sure that having a positive character endorsement from the drummer can't have hurt my chances.

S.P.

• Like 1