Why become a member? ×

Love 4 string basses but....

fiatcoupe432

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I can`t remember her name, but Prices bassist mentioned in an interview that when she was playing Prince said to her, I think you`ve got one too many strings on that bass. Bowing to her musically gifted employers opinion/guidance she went back to playing 4 string basses and has stuck with them apparently.

Screenshot_2018-03-02-11-45-49.png

Doesn't look like it ;)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

3 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Screenshot_2018-03-02-11-45-49.png

Doesn't look like it ;)

I think he's talking about Rhonda Smith. She played with a 4-string with Prince but uses 5/6 basses in other projects. I suspect the reason for the swap back to 4 had more due to with Prince's control-freak personality and the will to retain a job than with Rhonda seeing him as musical guru...

btw, here's a pic of her:

20120119_2239176.jpg

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I can`t remember her name, but Prices bassist mentioned in an interview that when she was playing Prince said to her, I think you`ve got one too many strings on that bass. Bowing to her musically gifted employers opinion/guidance she went back to playing 4 string basses and has stuck with them apparently.

I think you’re talking about Nik West. Phenomenal bassist!

edit: maybe not!

Edited by CameronJ

13 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

I rarely use the G on my 5, so when I bought a 4-string back-up bass I tuned it BEAD. I find it much easier to swap between basses when the strings I use most are where I expect them to be.

David

I use 5 string basses all the time now but after reading your reply,  thinking about it, I don't really use the G string much either but, really depend a lot on the low B. 

I'll dig out the old jazz and give that a go so, thanks. Sounds like a great idea.

I figure so much influential music has been created on the 4 string bass,  before some felt the need to imitate a synth bass in the 80's.  I have no desire to ever play more than a 4,  or play a synth bass.  Call it "Trad bass".

Back on topic, I use 4 and 5 string basses all the time and change between them during gigs.

I've always enjoyed using both and feel that they have different tonal qualities which make a different impact on certain songs and styles of music.

IMO, 5 string basses sound and feel different to 4 strings.' I had a SR4 and a SR5 years ago, and they were quite different....

As for a bass with 6 or more strings, it's not a bass ! 

As someone said earlier, it's a 'horses for courses' thing.

1 hour ago, Yank said:

I figure so much influential music has been created on the 4 string bass,  before some felt the need to imitate a synth bass in the 80's.  I have no desire to ever play more than a 4,  or play a synth bass.  Call it "Trad bass".

The two points everyone misses are

1) whatever you play on four I can still play on five. 

2) I have more choices of where to play those parts. 

Those two points have nothing to do with the extra notes or synth bass. 

Edited by stingrayPete1977
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 12:04, fiatcoupe432 said:

now I ve played 6 string and 5 strings for a while and I would love to go back to 4 but I'm scared I'm gonna miss the high c or low b or both ....

The question is why do you want to switch? Do you need the extra strings or not? Would you miss them if they weren't there?

IMO like there is no point in moving to a 5 or 6 string bass unless you need to. . . . there is no point in moving away from a 5 or 6 string bass if you're still using the extra strings.

At the end of the day, unless someone else is paying you to play a particular instrument, play what is relevant to you and what you want to play. If you find it difficult to adapt your style to move back to a 4 string bass, just work at it. If it is an insurmountable problem just stick with what you're currently playing.

• Like 1

Entirely down to personal preference. I enjoyed my dalliance with 5 strings but I prefer to keep things simple. I didn't like swapping between 5 and 4 and didn't want to give up my 4s. For me those extra few notes and positional possibilities weren't worth the extra weight, expense and weird string spacing. Also, I couldn't shake the feeling that the 'B' string was just too... different from the other strings, somehow... it didn't sit right with me. YMMV of course. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, discreet said:

Entirely down to personal preference.

Exactly, all about personal preferences and how you decide to do the job you have to do. The end result should be the deciding factor.

I've been playing 5ers since the mid 90's. They are very rarely mentioned by the bands or other musicians (I've never had a negative comment) but they are noticed and commented on by audiences all the time, and they are always inquisitive and intrigued. The only negativity I've seen towards 5ers has been from other bassists and only on the internet, never in person.

I don't understand how the instrument any of us play can cause a negative reaction in anyone. Why do they even care?

I'll admit I'm lazy, but I don't see any benefit in swapping to an EADG tuned instrument, in the middle of a set, from an instrument that is tuned BEADG. I know a regular 4 string player who's tuned CFBbEb. I have no idea why and didn't bother to ask. He just likes it that way. No better reason in my book.

And worth noting the positives of a fiver too. I use 5-string basses exclusively in covers bands because the key we play any given song in will be driven entirely by the singer's vocal range.

A 5-string gives me far more flexibility in how I play any bassline, especially when something gets changed at short notice.

If I'm playing originals, then I always play a 4-string. Because otherwise I might as well sell them. 9_9

I went to 5 strings exclusively about  7-8 years ago. I occasionally bought a 4 string because I liked the look of it but they quickly got sold because of the lack of use.

About 18 months ago I had some financial issues, sold all my expensive kit and happily kept playing with some squier 5 strings which were superb. I wanted something a bit more ‘professional’ and got serious GAS for a Stingray and because I couldn’t get on with the 5 string I had years ago I went for a 4 and have been playing it almost exclusively since.

There is the odd song where I think it would be a lot easier on a 5, but in general It hasn’t bothered me or caused me any issues, plus I have a cheap 5 still if I need it.

Part of my reasoning was that I didn’t want to feel uncomfortable on a 4 string, I had picked up a few over the years and just felt lost and disorientated on them. Now I feel comfortable in both, and if the right bass came along, or new project that needed it, I may switch to 5 full time again.

On Friday, March 02, 2018 at 09:08, Lozz196 said:

Ida Neilson? At LBHS last year? 

Prince had a left handed bass player (Sonny T) in the early days who played a 5 string Warwick. Apparently before Prince's OCD went into overdrive he didn't mind bass players choosing their own instruments.

The bottom line is, anyone playing at this level will use what ever bass is appropriate, required or requested.