Why become a member? ×

How many is too many?

Ba55me15ter

Ok, the new bass just arrived and it's great - a Bongo 5HS. The idea was to replace my Yamaha TRB5II, but having played both this morning, I'm not sure I can do it. We've had some good times, you know? And the slap tone on the Yammy is awesome. I usually use a 5-string for live so hey, you need a back-up don't you?
Of course this has happened before, so I now find myself with six basses. I can justify them all to myself:

Kubicki Factor - immense sentimental value, had it for 17 years. Fits like an old comfortable pair of shoes.
Japanese Fender Jazz Fretless with J-Retro - it's fretless innit! A whole new challenge.
Yamaha TRB6 - lovely, refined hi-fi tone but with bags of low-end punch. My favourite DI'd sound.
Yamaha TRB5II - slightly more middley than the TRB6 but the 5-string suits me better for live. Lovely snappy slap sound.
Yamaha BB1500A - absolute bargain eBay buy. Tone in buckets, slaps like a dream but can also do the old-school sound and sit great in a mix. Looks beautiful.
Bongo 5HS - still figuring it out, but seems to be the ballsiest sound of the lot. I imagine will cut through a live mix very well. Has that great rear-pickup phat sound. Needs new strings before I can deliver a final verdict on the slap tone.

Now I don't need to move any on as such, it just seems a tad decadent. Is this normal? Am I a bassaholic?

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='2182' date='May 19 2007, 12:42 PM']Now I don't need to move any on as such, it just seems a tad decadent. Is this normal? Am I a bassaholic?[/quote]

I think it's normal!

Pete.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='2201' date='May 19 2007, 01:15 PM']I feel bad when I neglect some of my bass guitars, hence why I'm moving on a few.

I'm not sure how many is too many. I'd say anything over 5 is just a little, because I think 5 would allow sufficient cover for any situation.[/quote]

Conversely, I like renewing my acquaintance with "neglected" instruments. Helps prevent GAS!

I say have as many as you're comfortable with. I've got a self imposed limit of 10, simply because I'm too concerned I might start collecting in earnest otherwise! Everytime I see an unusual graphite necked bass (eg. Steinberger, Klein, Rainsong, Strata etc.) from the early 80's on fleabay I can't help but add it to my watch list.

I've got just a bass and a guitar, and another that's waiting to be sold. I've had more in the past, but I don't see the sense in having 2 of the same instrument. Fretted, fretless, and a 4 if you just have 5's, but I wouldn't buy another fretted 5, it would just get in the way. With guitars you might want a backup if you're gigging a lot, for string breakages and that. It's alright if you're one of these guys with money to burn, and want to have a bunch of boutique basses to sit there and look pretty, but I couldn't part with money like that unless I knew they'd be well used, and would end up paying for themselves, and even then, I'd still prefer to have just one versatile bass, instead of having a whole bunch to cater for different tones etc..

everyone's circumstances are different.

Three is my limit. I have a main bass (fretted), a backup (fretted) and a an electro-acoustic for unplugged stuff /fooling around. My intention is to get a decent fretless neck made for the backup and that will be me sorted.

its another one of those things thats just down to preferences, if you think you have too many, you have too many, if you dont then you dont.

I'd go with 4 as my maximum, 4 working ones anyway.

Main bass, Backup bass, 24 fret bass if it wasn't covered by the first 2 and an acoustic bass. acoustic as in acoustic guitar not double bass.

i have 4 at the moment but only two of them are useable and only one is safe so 3 of them don't really count... =P

In my house 7 basses are the maximum.

You see, I've got 14 at the moment but don't tell her indoors - she thinks that I've only got half that number.

Now this is how the con works, what I do is put 7 cases containing basses behind 7 basses on stands and make out that the cases are empty and for the basses on the stands - clever huh!

So the official line is that 8 basses are too many in Woodenshirt Towers.

There again, she ain't that stupid so she most likely knows what I'm doing and is probably just humouring me........

Mart

[quote name='woodenshirt' post='2640' date='May 20 2007, 02:04 AM']In my house 7 basses are the maximum.

You see, I've got 14 at the moment but don't tell her indoors - she thinks that I've only got half that number.

Now this is how the con works, what I do is put 7 cases containing basses behind 7 basses on stands and make out that the cases are empty and for the basses on the stands - clever huh!

So the official line is that 8 basses are too many in Woodenshirt Towers.

There again, she ain't that stupid so she most likely knows what I'm doing and is probably just humouring me........

Mart[/quote]

lol! Brilliant... though mind you, I hope for your sake that Mrs woodenshirt doesn't pop by these forums. :)

I'll have enough when I never see another bass that makes something odd happen deep inside me.
It never ends though, I don't like the look of the Bongo for instance but there was a blue one for sale on Basstalk a couple of weeks back and when I saw it's picture a little bit of wee came out. Now I want one.

That's the one I just bought :)

[quote name='stewblack' post='2910' date='May 20 2007, 03:16 PM']I'll have enough when I never see another bass that makes something odd happen deep inside me.
It never ends though, I don't like the look of the Bongo for instance but there was a blue one for sale on Basstalk a couple of weeks back and when I saw it's picture a little bit of wee came out. Now I want one.[/quote]

I think if you can afford it, and you're not neglecting other obligations to buy new gear, then it really comes down to how many you want.

I guess if you were to look at it from a practical point of view, it would be easy to argue that a minimum requirement for a gigging bassist might be two 4 strings, a 5 string, and a fretless.

Personally, I've got 10 at present, and I think I was up to around 15 at one stage.

I have three, which I think is a bare minimum, a fretted four, a backup fretted four, and a fretless four. I am trying to reign in my GAS for a Bongo 5 (or even a 6). As far as a maximum goes, as many as you can fit in your house/ shed etc

oh yeah, congrats on getting the Bongo5

Edited by phatbassdood