Why become a member? ×

How many is too many?

Ba55me15ter

I have three. Two Precisions, a Jazz and a Warwick.

On refelection. For me, that's too many. Three will do. One main bass and one back up to take to a gig or rehearsals and another waiting in the wings in case I need to put one in for repair upgrade.

I think I'll dispense with the Warwick soon.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1335187287' post='1626856']
Eh, I'm no mathematician, but isn't that four?
[/quote]

I'm assuming Warwick's remain unpopular, and thus don't [i]really [/i]count - leaving threee basses :lol:

Why do we even need to have the distinction between [i]collector [/i]and [i]player? [/i]It feels like there's some snobbery therein, maybe from both sides - I don't see how one wins out over the other. Whilst my personal preference would be to have all of mine played, even if only a little, I can see how other people can find their paths to happiness; I'd find it abhorent that someone would own many guitars and [i]never[/i] play them, I don't think my opinion would impinge on his or her happiness; and nor should their opinion impinge on mine.

Utlimately, it's your own justification which counts. If you're at the stage of wondering if you have too many, you perhaps have more of the answer than you know :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335188591' post='1626883']
I'm assuming Warwick's remain unpopular, and thus don't [i]really [/i]count - leaving threee basses :lol:

Why do we even need to have the distinction between [i]collector [/i]and [i]player? [/i]It feels like there's some snobbery therein, maybe from both sides - I don't see how one wins out over the other. Whilst my personal preference would be to have all of mine played, even if only a little, I can see how other people can find their paths to happiness; I'd find it abhorent that someone would own many guitars and [i]never[/i] play them, I don't think my opinion would impinge on his or her happiness; and nor should their opinion impinge on mine.

Utlimately, it's your own justification which counts. If you're at the stage of wondering if you have too many, you perhaps have more of the answer than you know :)
[/quote]

I agree, there shouldn't be any distinction between collecting and playing. have as many as you want. Its not about getting out there and playing them. There could be all manner of reasons why people dont all 'get out there and play'. As long as they are enjoyed, and appreciated by the owner, then thats good enough for me. As stated earlier, I think its a shame to have them stored somewhere externaly though, as they clearly arent being enjoyed, or played, but that again, is the owners choice, and he can do what he damn well likes.

I've had my time gigging, I enjoyed it, most of it anyway, but have no interest in doing it again whatsoever, that shouldn't influence how many guitars i own.

Its all about opinions though, personally I'm happy for people to do what they like. I love basses, so I could never have too many, and the amount I [i]do[/i] own is only restricted by my cash and space. Alot of people on here, from what they say anyway, would only have one if they had millions of quid, fine by me, but I'd have shitloads!!! :P

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1335190230' post='1626915']
A lot of people on here, from what they say anyway, would only have one if they had millions of quid, fine by me, but I'd have shitloads!!! :P
[/quote]

But if they had millions of quid they wouldn't be bass players, they'd be guitarists, surely?

:ph34r:

Nice one Jimmyb. :)

Having a look at the "show us your Sunburst" thread. It's no wonder Old fenders are rare all you buggers have um stashed under ya beds. Leo would turn in his grave if he knew the old firm was having to scratch new ones just to keep up with demand. :o

I'm very happy with four - the Rick will be sold soon and hopefully replaced with something more up my street.

Then again, one of them is a duplicate of my old Precision (which I'd rather leave at home for the rougher gigs). Does sound pretty different though.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1335186154' post='1626835']
The correct answer is, of course, 328.

327 basses are manageable, but hit that magic number of 328 and everything goes pear-shaped.

Don't ask me how I know.
[/quote]

Good thing you said that as I always thought 326 was the magic number

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335171329' post='1626491']
First reply on this: [url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/96-jeep-cherokee-need-opinions-1149721/"]http://www.jeepforum...inions-1149721/[/url]
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: I peed a little when I read that! Classic!!

I would say as many as you will actually play on a regular basis. I've never owned more than 2 at any one time, a fretted and a frettless...I'm currently toying with getting a 5 string because I've never had one. If you want to collect stuff just to look at, collect paintings or something. The only possible exception I would make to this would be intruments with a specific history or rarity, but even then I think they should still be played.