Why become a member? ×

LeeLifeson - Geddy's Next Chapter?

spongebob

Rumours out surrounding the next chapter for Geddy and Alex -

[url="http://exclaim.ca/music/article/rushs_geddy_lee_and_alex_lifeson_could_form_leelifeson_project"]http://exclaim.ca/mu...lifeson_project[/url]

Could be interesting.....I'd love to see them doing something else outside of Rush. After all, Geddy's got about 1,000 basses to try out....! :D

Edited by spongebob

Odd - I was only thinking about them yesterday & wondering/hoping they might do something like this.

Clearly it's only rumours at the moment but I'd love to see them release new post-Rush stuff, & tour - hopefully in much smaller venues - with a full band. Make a proper break from their old way of working.

Glad I saw them a couple of years ago.

Has Peart said he'll never play again? There's no substance to that article at all. I understand they're not going to do great long international stadium tours but Metallica aren't doing those either. Two weeks at a time and even then not every night.

People get old, I suppose, Geddy is a machine, that's what he wants to do, so I can understand the wish to push on. Does he need Lifeson to do that? I'd like to see a solo project.

Promise of sold out tours,Fan Base worships you,Playing music on your terms and with your best friend. Reinvent yourself after one of the biggest bands in history.

I'm not sure anyone would turn it down.

Plants still doing it why not Geddy?

Edited by Geddys nose

Funnily due to being at home more recently I've listened to much of The Rush back catalogue. They were certainly one of my favourite bands growing up, but I would struggle to listen to any of their output now. Rush in Rio was good but the 30th anniversary live DVD was appallingly bad (let alone the 40th anniversary one) and I agree with WoT that Geddy's voice is shot. No reason for them not to continue playing but all good things come to an end and there's no shame in calling it a day. I can't see what reason anyone would want to redo Rush songs as they are rather idiosyncratic, but plenty of other artists do it when they get older.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1503810999' post='3360960']
Please Geddy, no singing :unsure:
[/quote]

Agreed. His bass playing and keyboards are as fine as ever, maybe better, but the voice is not. There was a video of Xanadu I watched yesterday from last year, afterwards I had to watch one from the 70s to scrub it from my mind.

Having said that, if the songs are recorded now much lower, maybe that is fine, it is the high stuff he can't sing and early rush is so high.

I would really welcome Geddy and Alex carrying on making music. If they have the passion for it, great! Lord knows, they've done enough fan service touring all over the world for decades. I'd love to hear them doing something fresh.

I love Rush (my favourite band by a long shot) but if they want to try something new, they should. Neil Peart owes nothing, having come back from immense personal tragedy to carry on with Rush. It seems that drumming is the most arduous of instruments to play as the years go by and good health must come first. I recall reading that Phil Collins barely plays the drums at all these days, as just a few minutes at the kit leaves him in agony with back pain from that hunched position he plays in. Similarly, you can't go full throttle in the toms for fifty years without some wear on the arms (even accounting for all the effort Neil put into learning a new grip style in the 90's).

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1503860259' post='3361214']
I would really welcome Geddy and Alex carrying on making music. If they have the passion for it, great! Lord knows, they've done enough fan service touring all over the world for decades. I'd love to hear them doing something fresh.

I love Rush (my favourite band by a long shot) but if they want to try something new, they should. Neil Peart owes nothing, having come back from immense personal tragedy to carry on with Rush. It seems that drumming is the most arduous of instruments to play as the years go by and good health must come first. I recall reading that Phil Collins barely plays the drums at all these days, as just a few minutes at the kit leaves him in agony with back pain from that hunched position he plays in. Similarly, you can't go full throttle in the toms for fifty years without some wear on the arms (even accounting for all the effort Neil put into learning a new grip style in the 90's).
[/quote]Fan service? Were they giving away music and touring for free?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1503830892' post='3361073']
Agreed. His bass playing and keyboards are as fine as ever, maybe better, but the voice is not. There was a video of Xanadu I watched yesterday from last year, afterwards I had to watch one from the 70s to scrub it from my mind.

Having said that, if the songs are recorded now much lower, maybe that is fine, it is the high stuff he can't sing and early rush is so high.
[/quote]The trouble is, like Ian Anderson he has absolutely no range these days regardless of the key.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1503867703' post='3361266']
Fan service? Were they giving away music and touring for free?
[/quote]

They weren't, but they're made men a million times over. I doubt by the time you're in your sixties you're motivated by adding another Ferarri to your collection or another wing to your mansion. However, they have consistently pummelled out the 'hits' for years, but there were many who just wanted to hear 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Spirit of radio' again, and Rush duly obliged when most rockers would have packed in long ago. They've been tremendously dedicated to their fans.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1504025754' post='3362202']
.....oh no they're not!

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-08-29/rush-leelifeson-no-new-band
[/quote]

Damn it - that's a shame. I'd happily have listened to whatever new stuff was put out with whatever line up.

Been a fan since the early 80's too - my favourite album? Clockwork Angels - absolutely on a par with their 'classics'. (although yeah, Test for Echo wasn't that great was it.......!?!)