Why become a member? ×

Gigging/how do you start a set?

NancyJohnson

For pub gigs we normally finish setting up and soundchecking around 30 seconds before we're due to start, so we look at our watches, say " right, let's start ", drummer counts in the first song, at which point one or both of our singers will decide they need to go to the loo/get a drink/sort out their lyrics/send an urgent text message, so the rest of us just stand there looking stupid until they've sorted themselves out, drummer counts us in again and off we go! Completely amateurish but no-one in the band apart from me and the drummer seems that bothered about it.

Personally I think everyone should vacate the stage at least 5 minutes before you start, having already tuned up etc. Preferably earlier, as soon as they're happy that their gear is ready to go. Go to the loo, get stage gear on, get drink or whatever.

Then all return at the same time, together, a couple of minutes before your scheduled start time.

That should give a clear indication to the audience that something is about to happen.

Having musicians wandering about the stage endlessly twidling, standing around and sliding into an indeterminate start doesn't give off the right impression.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1502275183' post='3350365']
I quite like the way the Chili Peppers start their gigs...
[/quote]

So one should start by humping an invisible bear..? :huh:

:lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

Depends on the venue, surely?

If you're playing a recognised music venue (Half Moon in Putney right up to the Empire in Shepherds Bush) that's one thing, if you're playing a WMC with a proper stage then that's another, and if you're playing the Dog & Duck and setting up by the door to the Gents toilet then that's different again.

In my pub band we always start with Down At The Doctors (Dr. Feelgood) which became our opening number many years ago, more-or-less by accident, and has never changed since.

Why?

Well, endless repetition over the years makes it one of our tightest numbers, it works really well as our soundcheck song because the whole band knows exactly how it should sound, it also has three verses and three band members sing so we can each take a verse and soundcheck the PA, it gives the crowd a reasonable idea of what to expect from us, and we like it.

We start with a 40 minutes 4 track magnum funk opus that starts off super quiet and builds and builds to a crescendo.

We explicitly don't care if no one realises when we started it, at some point they all realise we are what they've been listening to for the last n minutes.

We are an ultra niche band though, 7 piece instrumental cinematic funk 😆

Edited by 51m0n

Many, many years ago I went to see a representation of 'Brief Lives', a play based on the writings of John Aubrey, with Roy Doltrice as the principal (indeed, sole...) actor. The audience gradually filled the theatre, and the house lights went down. A few minutes passed, until we all became aware that Aubrey (Doltrice...) was already on stage, 'asleep'. He awoke, and the piece started. For the interval, Aubrey dozes off in his chair in mid-sentence, the lights come up and the folks needing a 'rest' did so. The interval over, the house is again dimmed, Aubrey awakes with a splutter and continues his phrase as if nothing had happened. The play ends with Aubrey returning to his bed; when, after a long pause, the theatre is lit, one realises that the now deceased Aubrey is still on stage, and remains so, presumably until the house is empty again. That, to me, was the best 'entrance' I've ever seen on stage; no theatrics, just pure theatrics; the man was a genius.

Not too loud- punters need a song or two to get used to live music. There seems to be a psycho- acoustic thing, bands = too loud, all too often the case unfortunately. We subtly increase the background music going through the PA running up to us taking the stage. We also try and start our first song when the song playing finishes. Little things but they all help with the reputation.

We play nutbush city limits because we can stretch out the intro to chat with the audience a bit, it's dead easy to play as a warm up and we can soundcheck during the song if needed, and the intro is layered in terms of who comes in when and how intensely we want to play.
Once when the support band let us down we stretched out the intro and I chatted to the audience and introduced the singer who appeared on stage to start the song. We tried everything to stretch out and fill up time :)

Depends on the type of gig.

For bar & pub gigs I don't think it really matters, you just start your first set, IMO.However pubs and bars can be tricky. If the room is empty you probably don't want to start with your stronger songs.

At big Festivals a host or announcer usually introduces the band. For these types of gigs there's a host of options on how you start.

Blue

Edited by blue

Interesting thread. Tightening up how we start a gig is next on my things to do list for the band. I've addressed, and now eliminated, the general fannying around between songs (long gaps, people looking at each other mouthing 'ready?', fiddling with tuner pedals etc) which has resulted in a tighter, more professional set.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1502274274' post='3350350']
Personally I think everyone should vacate the stage at least 5 minutes before you start, having already tuned up etc. Preferably earlier, as soon as they're happy that their gear is ready to go. Go to the loo, get stage gear on, get drink or whatever.

Then all return at the same time, together, a couple of minutes before your scheduled start time.

That should give a clear indication to the audience that something is about to happen.

Having musicians wandering about the stage endlessly twidling, standing around and sliding into an indeterminate start doesn't give off the right impression.

[/quote]

Yup. Eradicate twiddling then whatever else you want to do will be in focus. Is there a website called Twiddle yet? There ought to be.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1502284482' post='3350460']
Either way - I've just had a session with the 'Who Killed Nancy Johnson', You tube collection and enjoyed it.
[/quote]

That's a fair point and worth mentioning. I quite agree. WKNJ looks and sounds good.

@ OP; Your lot must put the hours in for a result like that.