Why become a member? ×

What was the first major festival you ever went to?

thebrig

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1498484760' post='3324921']
Reading 1999

It always tickles me to see Coldplay's name down there at the very bottom of the list for the second stage. You'll also spot Muse in there, if you've got your magnifying glass available.

S.P.
[/quote]

That was the last time reading festival didnt sell out I think (unless it hasnt sold out in recent years!)
that was my first festival.
muse were great- I'd seen them 3 months supporting feeder below a band called straw. Matt played all of piano pieces from first album on guitar. not really listened to them much since.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1498484760' post='3324921']
Reading 1999

It always tickles me to see Coldplay's name down there at the very bottom of the list for the second stage. You'll also spot Muse in there, if you've got your magnifying glass available.

S.P.
[/quote]

The company I worked for at the time did the wristtickets for the Mean Fiddler fronted Reading/Leeds festivals, so we always got freebies from them. That said, this was the only year I went. I had an operation on my left eyelid Friday night, couldn't get a contact lens on Saturday (no glasses, either!) but we made it along for Sunday. Proper bogs in the backstage area.

+1 for Chas & Dave! They opened (or at least were playing when we arrived) at Status Quo's "final" London concert in 1984 at Selhurst Park - the second gig I ever went to (and I discounted it from being a festival for my earlier response but it was an all day affair) and they were brilliant. Excellent at entertaining a big crowd

Edit - I'm pretty sure they played Sonisphere the other year too, but I have no memory of seeing them there so possibly i was watching something else at the time

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1498575744' post='3325633']
+1 for Chas & Dave! They opened (or at least were playing when we arrived) at Status Quo's "final" London concert in 1984 at Selhurst Park - the second gig I ever went to (and I discounted it from being a festival for my earlier response but it was an all day affair) and they were brilliant. Excellent at entertaining a big crowd

Edit - I'm pretty sure they played Sonisphere the other year too, but I have no memory of seeing them there so possibly i was watching something else at the time
[/quote]

My preconceived notions that Chas n Dave were a bit naff and a novelty act were dispelled when a mate persuaded me to go see them live.

The guys are top, top musicians steeped in rock n roll history with one or two stories to tell. I can't remember which tune but one of Dave's basslines was sampled for an Eminem track I think (someone here is bound to know!)

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1498576696' post='3325638']
The guys are top, top musicians steeped in rock n roll history with one or two stories to tell. I can't remember which tune but one of Dave's basslines was sampled for an Eminem track I think (someone here is bound to know!)
[/quote]

Less than a minute with Google will get you the answer.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1498578473' post='3325651']

Less than a minute with Google will get you the answer.
[/quote]

Google is sorcery and we don't use it round here 😈
I've got Dave on speed dial and he says they were doing a session for Labi Siffre that was later sampled by m&ms on "my name is..." Didn't get a penny apparently

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1498582510' post='3325692']
Google is sorcery and we don't use it round here
I've got Dave on speed dial and he says they were doing a session for Labi Siffre that was later sampled by m&ms on "my name is..." Didn't get a penny apparently
[/quote]

He would have been paid a session fee for his bass playing contribution to the album, and unless he specifically has a songwriting credit for "[font="sans-serif"]I Got The..." (the track in question) then he's not entitled to any further payment. That's why it's always more important to be the songwriter than just a musician who played on the recording.[/font]

Knebworth 90. 13th birthday present and I went with my dad.

Tears for fears
Status quo
Cliff and the shads
Phil Collins/ Genesis
Eric Clapton
Elton john
Dire straits
Paul McCartney
Pink Floyd

Plus my introduction to Led Zep- Robert Plant later joined by Jimmy Page. Blew my tiny mind- it was awesome.

Cornbury 2014 only because I wanted to see Tift Merritt, but the highlight was Wilko Johnson, who was still alive and gigging after he'd been told he'd be dead, before he got the re-diagnosis. Every front man always says "We're so glad to be here in ... tonight" but when Wilko said "I cannot tell you how glad I am to be here right now" we knew exactly what he meant and collectively went ballistic.

Most recently "Buckle and Boots" Americana festival - not my choice of genre but walking distance from home, and fun watching how much everyone was enjoying it, children in little cowboy boots and hats climbing over hay bales with big smiles.

Funny thing, Saturday almost all the bass guitars were sunburst Jazzes and Sunday it was almost all white Fender Ps.

Speaking of festivals ,Summerfest opening day is tomorrow. World's Largest Music Fest.

I have to research most of the artists on the side stages, I haven't any idea who 99% of them are.

A daily pass onto the fest grounds on beautiful Lake Michigan is $17.00. I'm a senior citizen,so $7.00 for me. I knew being older would pay off sooner or later.
😂

There is some young guy, a blues guy from France I want to see.I think his name is Marcus King. I'd like to godown the night Joss Stone plays a side stage. And I hope to stay for Peter's set.

https://summerfest.com/2017-lineup/

We play Sunday July 2nd

6:30. Maple Road

9:30. Peter Frampton

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498604913' post='3325891']
Speaking of festivals ,Summerfest opening day is tomorrow. World's Largest Music Fest.

I have to research most of the artists on the side stages, I haven't any idea who 99% of them are.

A daily pass onto the fest grounds on beautiful Lake Michigan is $17.00. I'm a senior citizen,so $7.00 for me. I knew being older would pay off sooner or later.
😂

There is some young guy, a blues guy from France I want to see.I think his name is Marcus King. I'd like to godown the night Joss Stone plays a side stage. And I hope to stay for Peter's set.

https://summerfest.com/2017-lineup/

We play Sunday July 2nd

Blue
[/quote]

The pricing for seeing live music events in the States is very good, not like over here where we are continually being ripped off with high ticket prices.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1498640293' post='3326006']

The pricing for seeing live music events in the States is very good, not like over here where we are continually being ripped off with high ticket prices.
[/quote]

I thought the pass to get into Glastonbury was outrageous.

Blue

Buxton 1973 was the first but went to many throughout the Seventies....Buxton again in '74 Reading three years running,Knebworth for the Stones ..Blackbush for Dylan the list goes on :gas:

My mates and I were gluttons for punishment...horrible toilets,cans of ..erm..."liquid " being thrown everywhere and nearly always rain,rain and more rain....loved it all though and saw some amazing bands.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/buxton-73-03-info.html

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498604913' post='3325891']

[url="https://summerfest.com/2017-lineup/"]https://summerfest.com/2017-lineup/[/url]

We play Sunday July 2nd

Blue
[/quote]
Hey Daryl

Have a good gig & a great time...

Pete

I think mine was the Elephant Fayre, St. Germans, Cornwall, in 1983. The Cure were headlining. I see Wilko Johnson was also on the bill, but Only many years later did I come to appreciate him-I remember not being too keen on him at the time. It was a decent festival, I went again subsequently, and saw New Model Army and Killing Joke, but a lot of trouble with traveller types eventually brought about the festival's demise.
I was at Reading in 1990. My mate and I suddenly decided the night before to drive up from Cornwall to see the Pixies. We apparently, unbeknown to us, arrived during the one hour that day that they were selling day tickets, bought ours and walked straight in. It was meant to be, and we bloody loved it.

The bands that played Woodstock 1969 and made it onto the feature film we're propelled into Super Stardom and subsequently arenaville or stadium land as well.

Beatles and The Stones didn't need it they were already huge.

Right?

Blue