Why become a member? ×

Punters wanting to talk to you when you're playing.

Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1497123896' post='3316060']

If that was the Bowling Green in Horwich that's the pub that started this post.
[/quote]

That's the one. Only played there twice but packed both times, had a few odd requests but just smiled and carried on.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1497118694' post='3316011']
Mucho sol aqui cada dia desde martes, Iremos a cenar en el pueblo ahora ¡gracias! :D
[/quote]
Heth eth eth eth eth, sminki pinki Chris Waddle.

It's sometiimes hard to be polite but I find a jovial attitude to telling someone to feck off helps soften the blow. I recently used this approach....

Punter - "Do you guys know any (insert band here/song)?" [i]Here we go.....[/i]

Me - "Sorry it's not in our set tonight .....but it a top tune!" - [i]Attempt to be civilised...[/i]

Punter - "Aww come on play (insert song here)." - [i]rebuttal......[/i]

Me - "Do you have it on your phone?" - [i]the set up....[/i]

Punter - with a big smile "Yeah I do" (and reaching into their pocket for said phone).- [i]Hook.......[/i]

Me - "Well away outside and listen to it, then come back in and enjoy yourself"...cue winning smile ;) [i]Line.......[/i]

Punter - "I'm that guy aren't I" and left us to play the tunes. [i]Sinker........[/i]

We get this alot and it's either play that song again or a request for a song that we'd never play. I'm normally more receptive and likely to banter with a punter off mic as it keeps them away from the singer who has little patience as he's usually getting video's by an iphone with the light blinding him! People!! tut!

• 2 weeks later...

Some people simply do not know how to behave in public. I was at a concert once where the female singer was well into the Jennifer Rush song "Power of Love". A man carrying a tray of empty glasses headed for the bar and right in front of her shouted to his friend - "Was it lager or beer, John?"

Then there was the lead singer who told me that one night he was in mid-song when a bloke walked up to the stage and asked him if he had change for the jukebox!

[quote name='LeftyP' timestamp='1498582747' post='3325694']
Then there was the lead singer who told me that one night he was in mid-song when a bloke walked up to the stage and asked him if he had change for the jukebox!
[/quote]
Ooff! That's some indictment :(

[quote name='LeftyP' timestamp='1498582747' post='3325694']
[/quote]

That made me think of this song, for some reason...

[color=#006621][font=arial, sans-serif]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykj4Q7f-j5I[/font][/color]

I'm friendly and I make sure I chat with our fans.

However, I can also have a look on my face that discourages punters from approaching me while I'm playing.

Reality is, they never notice the bass player. So, not too much of an issue for us.

Blue

I find it's easier to just say "Yes. we'll try to fit that in later", knowing there's no chance. Usually they walk away happy and quickly forget what they asked for.

It gets rid of them with minimum discourse.

Although that didn't work at all last week when a girl persisted in asking for song requests repeatedly. Later she was so pissed she couldn't speak, which was a relief. :)

Frank.

Drunk Punter: "Can you play something by Garth Brooks?"*

Me: "We can! It never appeared on one of his own albums but this next one's a song he wrote for Black Sabbath!"**

With the pissheads it's surprisingly effective at making them toddle off and usually gets a titter from the attentive ones in the audience.

*Or whoever.
** Whatever's next in your set.

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1498638822' post='3325988']
ever mistaken a fan for an invisible bear?
[/quote]

No, invisible bears, I'm pretty sure they're on the endangered species list.

You know, they're invisible so mounting one correctly can be tricky.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498700114' post='3326453']
No, invisible bears, I'm pretty sure they're on the endangered species list.

You know, they're invisible so mounting one correctly can be tricky.

Blue
[/quote]

The last one I met told me he'd been feeling a little blue

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1496924545' post='3314717']

Billy Connolly phrased this one rather well, and we've nicked it before now: "Don't tell me how to do my job. Do I come to your work and tell you how to sweep up?" :D
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure another comedian has a similar one but the place of work is the docks and the task is not sweeping but something involving sailors.

I've just remembered the Unholy Double on this one, because it happened on Satdy night: the mithering punter (after trying to shout up several times - we were on a 3ft high stage with in-ears, good luck with that) who ostentatiously left his request on a piece of paper at the singist's feet, complete with multiple exclamation marks. As luck would have it, it was on the setlist, so we announced it as a request and played it next.

Did he get off his arse or react in any way? Nope. :angry:

Singist was a bit naffed off:

"That was your request mate...did you like it? The traditional response is applause, you know..."

He started to clap, and the singist said "No, don't start now, it just makes us feel needy..." :)

A couple of years ago at a garden party, an Eastern European bloke comes up to me mid-song and sticks £20 in my shirt pocket

Him - "play <inaudbile>"

Me - "what?"

Him - "play <inaudbile>"

Me - "What?!"

Him - "PLAY <inaudible>"

Me -"WHAT?!"

Him - "PLAY LADY IN RED"*

Me - "Don't know it mate"

And handed him back his £20, he had an utterly bemused look on his face, astonished we couldn't just pull a random song out of the air.

The exchange always makes me think of the Iron Maiden B-side Message From 'Arry

*his requuest wasn't actually Lady In Red but it was something of that ilk

In a half hour solo acoustic set on Friday I had people talking to me four times:

1. 'Play something by Oasis'
2 'Play something Northern' (?)
3. 'Can you announce that the buffet is now open' (unbeknown to me and my fellow performers there was a wake going on in the other bar)
4. 'Can you announce that the buffer is now open in a slower, clearer way so that the drunk ones can understand you'

I'm not going to play there again.

We're a 70s style guitar driven blues/rock band and this guy comes up and asks me if we play any Beasty Boys.

If that's not a good example that punters don't have a clue then I don't know what is.

Blue

Edited by blue