Why become a member? ×

iBassline® Bass Mute

Cat Burrito

[attachment=245565:ibass.jpg]

There doesn't seem to be much mention of these on Basschat? I picked one up on EBay. They seem okay, I'd seen a few pros using them but as said, little mention here.

I think foam under the bridge sounds as good and is cheaper but an okay little gimmick to use on a few tunes. I seem to have to place it right on the nut in order for it to have any impact.

Any experience with them?

Not this one but I am currently using two mutes.... one of the Gruv Gear 'Wrap' mute at neck end and a mute that dave bass5 very kindly gave to me (thank you sir) that wraps completely around the strings at bridge end and does a fantastic job.

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1495130537' post='3301558']How much are these ones I have a gruv gear one it is OK but to expensive for what it is imo[/quote]

I paid £8.50 for mine including prompt UK delivery.

Probably worth adding to my original post that I played around with it on one bass at home so I wouldn't want anyone thinking the OP was some kind of review. I certainly don't regret the purchase and my initial post does rather read as me damning it with faint praise.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1495133712' post='3301596']*squints at photo*

How does it have any effect on non-open strings? Am I missing something?
[/quote]

You'll have to google them for a bigger image, sorry about that! If I put it right over the nut I thought the open strings sounded pretty good.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1495134040' post='3301601']
You'll have to google them for a bigger image, sorry about that! If I put it right over the nut I thought the open strings sounded pretty good.
[/quote]

So - does it only mute open strings? Sorry.. it's been a long day and my head hurts. ha ha.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1495134102' post='3301602']
So - does it only mute open strings? Sorry.. it's been a long day and my head hurts. ha ha.
[/quote]

I was rather hoping other contributors would weigh in with their experiences but from my limited trial earlier it seemed to have an impact on the fretted notes too whilst I was playing. That said, I don't understand why / how that would be the case but it definitely sounded more Motown-y, I was playing it on a Fender P-bass which was strung with roundwound strings (a recent change for me after 20yrs of flats).

Seems there are two totally different types of mute being confused here. These wraps that go at the headstock end are to dampen sympathetic resonance, where open strings, or the half of the string behind your fretting finger can create unwanted overtones.

These won't give you a Motown sound, for that you need foam at the bridge end (or a wrap like the one pictured going round the strings near the bridge).

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1495133712' post='3301596']
*squints at photo*

How does it have any effect on non-open strings? Am I missing something?
[/quote]

I think this is more aimed for players using a lot of tapping as it will kill resonance from open strings. Appart from that i don't see much more use.

This is one of the ones I use on my Sire and it works really well. Its a simple design and you can adjust the tension of it to give more or less mute tot he strings

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/04/27/bass-mute-clamp-now-available/"]http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/04/27/bass-mute-clamp-now-available/[/url]

It's not just open strings that cause an issue with tapping, it's the other half of the string - acoustically, both ends of the string can vibrate which can sound dissonant, not usually a problem when plugged in though as the pickup only 'sees' the vibration from the other half of the string.

I would assume that these things would mute your open strings a tad yes, but I guess the muting is less extreme than your common foam bridge mute.

I've got one, for slapping/tapping I have noticed you get less noise from the other strings so I think it works on that front.

You can slide it as far up the neck as it will fit but most people seem to use them just at the 1st fret to stop unwanted noise. As has been said, this is NOT for that old school muted thump.

Heres the eBay ad for those wanting a closer look: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iBassline-Bass-Mute-/262966824578?hash=item3d3a0b4e82:g:fKYAAOSwnDxUidw-

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1495145248' post='3301694']
Seems there are two totally different types of mute being confused here. These wraps that go at the headstock end are to dampen sympathetic resonance, where open strings, or the half of the string behind your fretting finger can create unwanted overtones.

These won't give you a Motown sound, for that you need foam at the bridge end (or a wrap like the one pictured going round the strings near the bridge).
[/quote]

THIS

fret wraps reduce unwanted finger- on- rounds noise and resonances

anyone suggesting it mutes fretted notes has a poor understanding of physics , musical knowledge and logic