Why become a member? ×

Pick vs Fingers - Strap length

gs_triumph

Guys,

Until now i have generally played with fingers, resisting the pick out of pure snobbery and a desire to learn to play the bass "properly".

I am beginning to appreciate the sounds produced using a pick and am now trying some of the songs we play with a pick where i have previously used fingers... With some very positive results!

Now my problem is that when playing with fingers I generally have the bass up quite high, just touching my chest. However with a pick I am far more comfortable with the bass hanging lower, near my waist. Where I previously used a pick for one song in our set list, and was happy to just suffer the bass being in the 'wrong' position. Now I am using a pick more often I am finding i'd prefer to have the bass lower for these songs.

How do you guys cope when switching between pick and fingers? Change straps during the set? Change basses?

I use both to a degree but more so the pick. I position the bass somewhere in between if I understand your description.

I can touch my belt when I place my hand directly under the lower contour of my Jazz bass - see my profile pic

Edited by jassthebass

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1494863917' post='3299137']
My basses used to get buckle rash right in the middle of the back, so that was my height, ofc the belly stops that nowadays!!
[/quote]mines below the belt to stop that, but I'm pick only, I have seen a couple of finger players with it that low though, must say I was impressed

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1494862601' post='3299111']
Agree with ^^^^ unless you are in a 60s cover band in which case I think they are supposed to be placed just under the chin aren't they?
[/quote]

Anywhere between the chin and the waistband will do just fine.
[attachment=245347:HighWaistband.png]

Wearing the bass too high or too low can contribute to injury problems as either the plucking hand wrist or the fretting hand one is bent. Playing with a bent wrist can lead to carpel tunnel problems. A good compromise is to wear the bass at around belt buckle height...regardless of whether you are a pick or fingers player.

Some useful tips on picking from Carol Kaye in this link. See tips number 26 & 27 :

https://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips1.htm

I've had a half hour playing with a longer strap, bass at buckle height. Felt odd playing with fingers but I guess that's just a case of getting used to it. Much more comfortable on the pick tho.

I suffer with carpol tunnel syndrome so I guess it won't be long before I'll know if things aren't right.

Thanks guys

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1494868813' post='3299197']
If you put 2 Dunlop strap locks on a long strap, at the bridge end of the bass, at the required places for pick and fingers, you could easily switch from one to the other with very little fuss.
[/quote]
Great idea! Might give that a bash

I think you just experiment and find a balance. I use both and try not to get too drawn into any of the countless rows across all the forums in the "pick vs fingers" debate. A bit of practice and you get used to flipping between the two at any length.

75% of our set I play with my fingers, the remaining 25% with a pick. I wear my bass fairly low, waist height, but have never felt that I need to play at different heights depending on the playing style. I'm comfortable at waist height for both. I dont slap but if i did I'd probably have to wear the bass higher though.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1494874709' post='3299250']
I've had a half hour playing with a longer strap, bass at buckle height. Felt odd playing with fingers but I guess that's just a case of getting used to it. Much more comfortable on the pick tho.

I suffer with carpol tunnel syndrome so I guess it won't be long before I'll know if things aren't right.

Thanks guys
[/quote]

I actually find that with the bass lower, my plucking wrist is at a much shallower angle, and therefore far more relaxed.

I have only recently raised the height of my strap as I did play quite low, but with the neck of the bass at a 45 degree angle (think rob Deleon from stone temple pilots) I actually find that this makes the angle of both wrists more relaxed and a doddle to play, BUT it does seriously restrict you ability to play at the dusty end of the neck.
I have also tried to play with a pic at this angle, and have found that the angle the pic meets the strings, it adds a slight grating sound (like a pic slide where you drag the pic along the string), so I find I have to play higher with a pic!

Good luck!

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1494862055' post='3299097']
Guys,

Until now i have generally played with fingers, resisting the pick out of pure snobbery and a desire to learn to play the bass "properly".[/quote]

What's proper?

Paul McCartney and Carol Kaye play with picks.

If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

Blue

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1494874738' post='3299251']
Great idea! Might give that a bash
[/quote]

I reread that and it sounded like I was saying put 2 straplocks on the bass. . . what I meant was keep the button on the bass (in the usual place) and put 2 locks on the strap.

Many straps have 2 holes on the tail end about 4" apart, could you not make use of these if you really need to be adjusting your bass height?
Reading chris b's post, I think he's suggesting the same, but with strap locks.

I don't adjust my bass height regardless of playing fingers (which is the majority these days), slapping or with pick. The bass is the same height whether sitting or standing. Bellybutton at the middle of the bass.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1494876411' post='3299266']
I think you just experiment and find a balance. I use both and try not to get too drawn into any of the countless rows across all the forums in the "pick vs fingers" debate. A bit of practice and you get used to flipping between the two at any length.
[/quote]

I admire those players who can do finger style with a pick tucked away in their plucking hand ready to seamlessly transition to pick mode and back. Try saying that out loud quickly! One day I hope to be capable of that. Not great if you have CTS though I suppose so plus one for the alternating strap button idea.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494878512' post='3299284']
Low end, low strung strap. Simples, innit.
[/quote]

Hooky.

Mind you he said in interview that he might have reconsidered his strap length now that he suffers with his shoulder and neck. He was THE lowest of the low slung bassists of my era. It is an impressive look for the stage but I often wondered if he ever sat and practised at "normal" height when no one was looking.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1494879278' post='3299297']
...I dont slap but if i did I'd probably have to wear the bass higher though.
[/quote]

Unless you have one of those thumbs that naturally bends back on itself nearly at right angles. I've noticed how that seems to be an asset for slappers lucky enough to have those sort of knuckle joints.