Why become a member? ×

Playing To Large Festival Crowds, Any Advice?

blue

My band has be lucky enough to play the infamous Summerfest for the last 6 years as a support act on headline stages.

However they have always been weekday slots early in the day, 12:30 or 1:30. One year we had a 3:30 on the Johnson Controls Sound stage and we had about 1,200 people.

This year, and I don't know how we lucked out. We play July 2nd , a Sunday on the ULine Rock Stage at 7:30.

Peter Frampton is the headliner and he starts at 9:30.

I'm thinking we will be playing to at least 3,000. I'm already nervous as hell. I'm conjuring up images of me hyperventilating and having an anxiety attack.

Biggest gig of my life. Help!

Blue

Above a certain size stage, what with the lights and the distances involved, it's often difficult to see the audience at all..! The only way you'll know they're there is when the roar goes up at your entrance, and the thunderous applause at the end of the opening number. Once that's over, no need for nerves any more; they're already 'in your hand'. Enjoy; have a blast.
Photos, videos ('bear' dancing or not...) are [i]de rigueur[/i], of course. B)

Congratulations Blue.

The negative cognitive images that you are conjuring up are sparking a physiological anxiety response...the mind cannot differentiate between that which is real and that which is imaginary.

My top tip is to consciously do this; remove all colour from the images - literally make them black and white - then consciously shrink them to the size of a pin head and push them far away into the distance. Now conjure up positive images of you playing beautifully and the crowd thoroughly enjoying the show. Make these images as bright and colourful as possible and fully immersive (seeing the situation through your own eyes). Do this again and again.

This should do the trick.

The good news is that having read of your previous experiences of playing to what already is a large crowd (1200) the weight of probability and body of evidence suggests that your ability to play well in real terms is unquestionable.

The bigger the crowd the better the experience...lots of people to show off to. Enjoy the experience. This is what it's all about...is it not?

We've played London's O2 Country to Country 3 times now and lucked out with some great billings. We were followed last year by "Special Guests" which meant playing to a capacity crowd. I didn't get nervous but just tried to relax and enjoy it, knowing the next show would be back to playing at the Dog & Duck to 20 people on a wet Thursday in Sheffield or Coventry or Bristol etc.

You'll have a decent stage and great sound so just relax in the knowledge that you have a great opportunity.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1494533599' post='3296849']
Just do what you always do. Forget the crowd size, thats the frontman/woman'seeking job to manage. Just play as well as you know how and have fun. IMO of course.
[/quote]

Good point

Blue

Excellent news, Blue. Help/advice? You`ve been doing this for so long now you don`t need any, just enjoy it like you would any other gig. I always try to maintain that each gig is the same, where I have to give 100% the whole time. The only difference between gigs is how many people get that 100%, but irrespective of how many, they all deserve it. Of course it doesn`t really work like that, but that`s what I try to go by. We all get excited by bigger gigs.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1494533789' post='3296855']

You of all people will be fine mate!

Two tips:

1. Don't compensate for nerves with beer. Save that for afterwards.

2. Don't "hump the bear"! :D
[/quote]

Haven't had any alcohol of any kind for the last 40 years.

Bear humping is prohibited at Summerfest.😁

Blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494535361' post='3296871']
Excellent news, Blue. Help/advice? You`ve been doing this for so long now you don`t need any, just enjoy it like you would any other gig. I always try to maintain that each gig is the same, where I have to give 100% the whole time. The only difference between gigs is how many people get that 100%, but irrespective of how many, they all deserve it. Of course it doesn`t really work like that, but that`s what I try to go by. We all get excited by bigger gigs.
[/quote]

True,

While I have a lot of festival experience,not quite at this level. We're a bar band.

I was concerned about whether what we do in our bar shows will translate to a large festival crowd.

I've seen the set list and was surprised. I actually think they did a good job with material choice.

Blue

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1494534503' post='3296861']
Nice one Blue. Do what you do best and all will be cool.
[/quote]

Thanks Julesb,

I have to stay true to what I do.

I'm a 'groove pocket player". That's what I know, it's what I do. I don't pop, pluck or slap, I don't have a lot of fancy fast riffs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1494536757' post='3296886']
Get some footage up on here! I think we'd all love to get a sniff of your pocket! Have fun!
[/quote]

Hopefully we'll hire someone that can capture some decent video.

Blue

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1494536630' post='3296884']
Get a peak at Frampton's rig, looks amazing!
[/quote]

I actually wonder what and who I'll be able to see. I've never played this close to a major headliner.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494532509' post='3296836']

I'm thinking we will be playing to at least 3,000. I'm already nervous as hell. I'm conjuring up images of me hyperventilating and having an anxiety attack.

Biggest gig of my life. Help!

Blue
[/quote]

I've never played to a crowd even approaching that size, sounds amazing!

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1494537968' post='3296894']

I've never played to a crowd even approaching that size, sounds amazing!
[/quote]

It's my first truly large festival crowd gig. I am going to be positive and give off a positive vibe through the whole thing.

Blue