Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s mad - if you hear “you can do it” from Tragic Kingdom, very busy but clean as a whistle, then “hella good” - like 3 notes…

he’s epic - and in my all time top 5 players.

humble and chilled too.

Dreamcar his recent project are amazing too.

It's really refreshing to hear a bass player who isn't afraid to deviate from the orthodoxy of "less is more" and who has the taste and skills to make busy playing serve the songs in such a compelling way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, andy67 said:

@AndyTravis

yeah - “it’s sat unused” because I was actually at the precipice of not playing anymore. I also wrote a load of tunes for 5 string and had 2 stingray 5’s at the time.

jeez…hindsight 20/20 etc.

This bass would work so well for current band.

in saying that. Gibson ripper win.

such is life

• Like 2

On 22/12/2023 at 17:21, Eldon Tyrell said:

Congrats! I am sure you will enjoy it. I recently owned its sibling in the sunburst finish, also from 78.
Great bass with lots of oomph. Unfortunately, I recently had to sell it to pay some bills. Sad but true 😞

Maybe someone here got it (sold it via BassBros). Whoever got it - you got yourself a great bargain!

39.YamahaBB1200Cherryburst.thumb.jpg.fa2e5c69daef6ca4c27b2ad1bf8a883f.jpg 

I saw this on Bassbros. A friend was interested. It sold within hours. By the time my friend finished work and went to buy it. It was gone. 

I recently bought a Yamaha pulser 400 from will. I would love to try or own this bass. 

• Like 1

Just a quick technical question about pickup height, if I may. I've been happy with my BB1024 for a while but have recently experimented with the height of the 'P' pickup. Before, it was very much angled with the split pickup much closer to the A and D strings than the E and G. I tried flattening and raising it a little so that the height is much more uniform. The tone is a little more even now but I think it's lost a little of the bite and aggression. Does the BB hive mind have a shared opinion of how high/low/angled the P pickup should be set on a 1024? (Presumably also applies to 414, 424 and 2024?)

Thanks

There is no uniform right/wrong answer to this.  I've seen BBs set up both ways - pickup halves dead flat and both angled in an effort to mirror the radius of the fingerboard/relative string heights.

If you liked the sound of it better before, put it back the way it was.  Whatever your ears tell you, they're right.

• Like 2

I've had a lot of BBs (3000A, 1600, 1200, 1100, 1024, 414, 300, 400, BBPH) and the 414 has stayed, mostly because it has the slimmest neck, and it does 95% of what the others do. It's also because my criteria have changed over the years, and it's lighter than a 1024. I pine sometimes over the 3000A I sold after 20 years, but that may well be just the rose-tinted tinted glasses thing, and I'm not prepared to shell out over a grand to find out...

I played a 2024 at Bass Direct ten years or more ago, and thought it was the best quality 'sleeper' bass I'd ever played, but again, it might not last with me these days because of the weight and neck...the newer 2/3 series (and the P34 top of the range) don't appeal because I hate the pickguard, but that's just me being as shallow as a puddle...

I changed the bridge and tuners on the 414, and took it to a good luthier for a fret dress and setup, and I'm completely happy with it, especially for gigs down the Dog & Duck, where a more expensive bass would give me one more thing to worry about.

• Like 2

I've had pickups set right up close to the strings and as far away as possible....

I find I prefer the further away end of the spectrum... But like Doctor J prescribed I have learnt to use my ears over time, it seems to me you get a bit less boomy bottom when set like this or at least how I play.🤔

• Like 3

Hi All,

For those of you own/owned Sandberg basses or have played one, specifically the VM series - how do you compare the build construction, worksmanship and tonal characteristics with the BBP34?

I'm a long-time Sandberg player having owned the TM2 and a couple of VM4s. I am in love the Sandberg neck profile which I feel the most "at home" with and am actually thinking of placing another customer order for one but recently the BBP34 in Vintage White has caught my attention.

I owned a BB1024x about 12 years back and had it for a couple of years. I remember it being a "p-bass" on steroids and absolutely loved the punchy tone, apart from that my memory of it has been quite hazy. I "think" I remember it being a little on the heavier side, at least compared to the Sandberg basses I own. How does the feel and neck profile of the 1024x compare to the latest top-of-the-line offering?

Your thoughts and opinions will be very much welcomed - should I get the BBP34!?

Edited by uhuglue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, uhuglue said:

Hi All,

For those of you own/owned Sandberg basses, specifically the VM series - how do you compare the build construction, worksmanship and tonal characteristics with the BBP34?

I'm a long-time Sandberg player having owned the TM2 and a couple of VM4. I love the Sandberg neck and am actually thinking of placing another customer order for one but recently the BBP34 in Vintage White has caught my attention.

I owned a BB1000 about 12 years back and had it for a couple of years. I remember it being a "p-bass" on steroids and absolutely loved the punchy tone, apart from that my memory of it has been quite hazy. I "think" I remember it being a little on the heavier side, at least compared to the Sandberg basses I own.

Your thoughts and opinions will be very much welcomed - should I get the BBP34!?

Huge Sandberg fan here too! And it was the necks I fell in love with also. I've had various BB's, although not any of these P series. They're great basses, and obviously will be superb quality, but the neck profile isn't the same (comfortable, but a bit 'fuller' in my experience). The BB would also likely be heavier.

If you really like the Sandberg necks, but want something more like a BB, I'd be looking at a California VT or something, with Alnico V pickups. The Alnicos in my TT5 passive are so much more toneful than the Delano style pickups from Sandberg.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRBboy said:

Huge Sandberg fan here too! And it was the necks I fell in love with also. I've had various BB's, although not any of these P series. They're great basses, and obviously will be superb quality, but the neck profile isn't the same (comfortable, but a bit 'fuller' in my experience). The BB would also likely be heavier.

If you really like the Sandberg necks, but want something more like a BB, I'd be looking at a California VT or something, with Alnico V pickups. The Alnicos in my TT5 passive are so much more toneful than the Delano style pickups from Sandberg.

Thanks for your feedback and hello to a fellow Sandberg fan!

It's interesting you mentioned the Delano pickups - I've actually never resonated with them. I've always been partial to the Sandberg-branded pickups (never tried a black label one though!). I found the Delano pickup a little sterile and hi-fi sounding which isn't my cup of tea. I gravitate more towards the Sandberg pickups as I found them warmer in characteristic. I'm not sure if theyre the Alnico V pickups you're referring to though!

I think your best bet would be to try them both out, not least because the Sandbergs tend to be active/passive whereas the BBs (a few notable exceptions aside) are pretty much all purely passive. They are two bass brands with strong/devoted followings. My first "serious" bass was a Sandberg TM4 which I played and gigged for about 4 years but, like you, it was the Delano pups on the Sandberg that I found a little too tame for my liking and I personally prefer the Yamaha BB series that I've had to it, and the BBP35 was a really excellent bass - really lovely tone.  Weight can be an issue with it though, although it does vary and I've seen ones coming in at sub 10 lbs. I am gobsmacked by the list price of the vintage white model though!  

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, uhuglue said:

Hi All,

For those of you own/owned Sandberg basses or have played one, specifically the VM series - how do you compare the build construction, worksmanship and tonal characteristics with the BBP34?

I'm a long-time Sandberg player having owned the TM2 and a couple of VM4s. I am in love the Sandberg neck profile which I feel the most "at home" with and am actually thinking of placing another customer order for one but recently the BBP34 in Vintage White has caught my attention.

I owned a BB1024x about 12 years back and had it for a couple of years. I remember it being a "p-bass" on steroids and absolutely loved the punchy tone, apart from that my memory of it has been quite hazy. I "think" I remember it being a little on the heavier side, at least compared to the Sandberg basses I own. How does the feel and neck profile of the 1024x compare to the latest top-of-the-line offering?

You really ought to get one in your hands and make your own mind up.  I can't help you having either never played a Sandberg, or not recalling a time when I had a brief go on one.  And even if I did, that would just be one data point - not really worth much, coupled with the vagaries of instruments in general - any factory can issue a Friday afternoon special...

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's going to blow your socks off either.  I've drank disappointing 30 year old whiskies...

Well, that was just a total downer, so let's pick it back up - if you get hold of a BBP34 (either by trying it in a shop or simply buying it at distance knowing that you can send it back if it doesn't work out) and it does blow your hair back then you're right!

As a callback to my list above, I'd concur with the advice to try if you can - that 2024 I tried was a surprise (hence the 'sleeper' thing) in that it was so good, so, for want of a better word, alive...I'd hope the BBP34 is of a similar level...they don't look very exciting, but in hand it's another matter entirely...  Sadly, the weight (I'm very weight-aware, more than 8lbs and I'm out) and neck profile (again, I'm very specific, and 40mm is only any good if it's a slim 40mm) rule me out.

Definitely worth trying if you can, you'll never be able to form your own opinion otherwise. As we all know, whether a bass is 'good' or not is entirely subjective and personal.

However, I guess what I was trying to say in a roundabout way before, is that I always prioritise feel. Pickups can be changed very easily, but unless you fancy taking a rasp and sandpaper to your new pride and joy, there's nothing you can do easily about the neck feel.

I really liked the BB435 I had before, but on a gig it was a bit on the heavy side, and there was something about the neck that felt a little 'clumsy' compared to Sandberg.

However, I LOVE the neck on my BBN5, which is entirely different to the newer BB's.

On 18/01/2024 at 09:45, uhuglue said:

Hi All,

I own and have played several BBP and Sandberg California TT basses (active and passive). Build quality is about the same - really good! Maybe slight advantage to the Yamahas for the generally super solid feel. The Yamahas are about the same weight as new Fenders, the Sandbergs are slightly below that I would say. The Sandberg TT’s sound a lot like classic jazz basses to me (especially the passive). The Yamaha BB sounds a bit more “unique”. Whether that is a plus or minus is a matter of taste. The necks are both very comfortable. The Yamaha neck is slightly wider, but not like a P bass. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gnermo said:

Does anyone know what years the BB-12000 non-export models are from? I acquired a natural one but Yamaha serials always confuse me

I'll guess from Japan or maybe Tiaiwan.

• 2 weeks later...