Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Sorry,  just white.

The Yamaha one is on the left - you're missing the texture on the sides - this is specific to Yamaha's speed knobs and what makes it bloody frustrating if you find yourself looking for them.  They're just not the same as standard speed knobs.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, neepheid said:

The Yamaha one is on the left - you're missing the texture on the sides - this is specific to Yamaha's speed knobs and what makes it bloody frustrating if you find yourself looking for them.  They're just not the same as standard speed knobs.

I had about 30 of them and like with the heavy grade 80’s tuners, I’ve sorted so many people out with them…I’ve ran out 🙄

• Sad 1

They seem to be virtually impossible to find, might have to go for regular speed knobs or the knurled ones.

Or something completely different? I got these cheap not long ago, but they're actually quite nice

PXL_20240203_183813575.jpg

I bought some of these for a project and they're actually very nice. 

Like a blend of BEX4 shape and Yam sucked sweety colour, I reckon they'd suit a BEX4 nicely. 

I was a little disappointed as I wanted the creamy/gold numbers as they look in the the Ebay ads but they're actually white. But that's more like the Yamaha ones. 

My picture makes the numbers look like they're printed on top but they're not, they're under the clear plastic. Clear plastic, with printed numbers, then black inside like the speed knobs, so they look 3D.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185858915690?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xSL6w7-gSLi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=i1P6UitjSry&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20240203_190725.thumb.jpg.5c86bf4638f62b6ab18fb1f57d39ede5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hey guys. I’ve a question regarding my vintage Yamaha. Not a BB but I figured this is probably the best place to ask. 

I have a 78 Yamaha pulser 400. One of the pickup screws when I got it was stripped.  The pickup height was fine but wanted to be able to adjust if needed. took bass to local luthier to upgrade the electrics to cts. I told him about the screw and ask if he could get it out. I didn’t realise that the screws used in original bass is near impossible to find. He put in a standard vintage screw but it’s to high. 

My question is, is there any pulser players who has any spares? 

I’ve also a pulser 600 on the way and need a pickguard for it also as pulsers are a slightly different shape to normal ones. 

cheers

Are you saying the 600 pickguard is different to the 400, or that they're both different to a Precision. 

If the 600 is the same as 400 then you're best bet, if not happy to make your own, is to send the 400 one (or an accurate tracing around the outline and all holes) to Brian 'earlpilanz' on eBay to make you one. 

He's on here but I can't remember his username. 

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Are you saying the 600 pickguard is different to the 400, or that they're both different to a Precision. 

If the 600 is the same as 400 then you're best bet, if not happy to make your own, is to send the 400 one (or an accurate tracing around the outline and all holes) to Brian 'earlpilanz' on eBay to make you one. 

He's on here but I can't remember his username. 

Sorry prob didn’t word it right. The 400 and 600 are the same. 

I’ll reach out to Brian. Thought I Would ask if anyone here had one hanging around to spare me the hassle lol. Cheer for the heads up on Brian. 

Hey folks! I don't know if anyone can share any wisdom with me?

I love my BBN5 that I modified, and have had various other Yamaha basses over the years. I've always thought that I'd love one of the passive 90's BB's like my BBN5, but with the soapbars rather than the single coils. Well, one has come up for sale, but I'd need to sell my BBN5 to justify getting it. I'm trying decide if it's actually worth it though or not, or whether I'm chasing something for the sake of GAS.

So, long story short; has anyone here owned both variants, or better still had chance to A/B the singles Vs soapbars side by side? I used to have a couple of TRB's with the same pickups, but that was a long time ago. I know I always thought they sounded good.

Any wisdom/common sense/talking me down welcome. 😅

13 minutes ago, andy67 said:

If a BBG4 then you'll love it, if it's the BB1300, that'll will be something else :D

It's a BBN5 III with the TRB style humbuckers. I know what I'm getting with the bass, I just can't decide whether it's worth the hassle of buying and selling for basically the humbuckers Vs the single coils in my current BBN5.

Pic of my current one, and one the same as I've seen for sale with the humbuckers.

IMG_20200412_172202.jpg

YYAMAHA11689109__39735.jpg

I had the BBG5 of which is very similar to the N5 and thought is was excellent. The TRB style soap bars work for me on many levels, tone, clarity and growl but they are place perfectly for my finger playing. I miss my TRB5 mk1, the single best 5 string ever! :( The BBG5s below is identical to the one I owned. (Image courtesy of talkbass.com)

bbg.PNG

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I had the BBG5 of which is very similar to the N5 and thought is was excellent. The TRB style soap bars work for me on many levesl, tone, clarity and growl but they are place perfectly for my finger playing. I miss my TRB5 mk1, the single best 5 string ever! :( The BBG5s below is identical to the one I owned. (Image courtesy of talkbass.com)

bbg.PNG

Thanks Andy. Yeah exactly the same bass just the N5 doesn't have the active preamp (I prefer passive these days anyway). My memory of those pickups is that they're really good.

I can't compare the singles to the humbuckers as I havent had a J style, but I had a BBG5S with a pair of the soapbar humbuckers which sounded fantastic. Also I assume the same soapbar pickup is in the BEX4 which is one of the best sounding basses (very little) money can buy IMO. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Wow beautiful. Vintage Yamahas are super rare to find in uk stores. 

what store did you pick it up from? 

I’ve a Yamaha pulser 400 from 78 they are great examples of craftsmanship. 

Thanks. Curvy sounds in Heaton, Newcastle. I'm a fan of the pulser basses too (or anything vintage and Japanese really!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AndyTheBassBison said:

Thanks. Curvy sounds in Heaton, Newcastle. I'm a fan of the pulser basses too (or anything vintage and Japanese really!)

I have a soft spot for anything Japanese also lmao🙈. I’ve a pulser 600 coming my way. 

I just rang curvysounds to let them know the website was down. Had an amazing chat with his wife who basically grew up in the very close to where I did in south London. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soulstar89 said:

I have a soft spot for anything Japanese also lmao🙈. I’ve a pulser 600 coming my way. 

I just rang curvysounds to let them know the website was down. Had an amazing chat with his wife who basically grew up in the very close to where I did in south London. 

Small world! It's a great little shop, although their website is pretty terrible.

32 minutes ago, AndyTheBassBison said:

Small world! It's a great little shop, although their website is pretty terrible.

Most definitely a small world. The website could do with a little tlc im sure it will get better over time. 

lets us know how the bass turns out after the honeymoon period. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

Wow beautiful. Vintage Yamahas are super rare to find in uk stores. 

Yup, that's why I bought my BB1200 from Ishibashi - got bored of waiting for the right bass to come along in our own domestic market.

• Like 3