Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Hot damn!  I had a BB350F, total beater, but still a great bass.  Shame I can't play fretless for toffee!

This would’ve been EMG’d and lake placid blue with a Pearl pickguard 💆🏻‍♂️

IMG_7769.jpeg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Anyone looking for a BB1000?  Decent price for one with a hard case, if it's genuine...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/276845555444296/

I couple weeks ago I saw one on the eBay (collection only) for around the same price. Location was Scunthorpe. 

Both are very low in price. 

I wonder what are the things to look out for to check if it’s a red flag or not. I’m more familiar with MIJ fenders as that was my original bass I wanted. 

3 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

I couple weeks ago I saw one on the eBay (collection only) for around the same price. Location was Scunthorpe. 

Both are very low in price. 

I wonder what are the things to look out for to check if it’s a red flag or not. I’m more familiar with MIJ fenders as that was my original bass I wanted. 

if it works…

bridge lift/split - very rare, but i have seen it.

truss Rod works…8mm box wrench (like a Gibson)

the machineheads are usually rattly - that’s a quirk. Just live with it.

14 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

if it works…

bridge lift/split - very rare, but i have seen it.

truss Rod works…8mm box wrench (like a Gibson)

the machineheads are usually rattly - that’s a quirk. Just live with it.

I’ve heard about the tuners. 

ok cheers for the that. Basic normal things then.

not going to lie I love the look of it and they sound dope for finger style funk. 🤔

8 minutes ago, neepheid said:

The one in those photos looks in great nick - hardware is clean with little or no pitting.

True. I’ll drop him a message. I’ll be interested to see the health of those frets. 

After a while away from the wild world of BBs (my '87 BB3000A has bounced around a couple of players on the forum since I sold it in 2020) I have another one coming my way. A passive one this time. The 8 1/2 lbs BB3000A was one of the finest built basses I've ever owned but the sound was a bit polite. This one has the pickups on the wonk ;), was born in '82 and will doubtless be a beefier customer...

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cairobill said:

After a while away from the wild world of BBs (my '87 BB3000A has bounced around a couple of players on the forum since I sold it in 2020) I have another one coming my way. A passive one this time. The 8 1/2 lbs BB3000A was one of the finest built basses I've ever owned but the sound was a bit polite. This one has the pickups on the wonk ;), was born in '82 and will doubtless be a beefier customer...

Yamaha, like Fender, has never really excelled when it comes to active circuits (with the very notable notable exception of the NE 1). 

By the late 1980's the idea that active basses were inherently superior was pretty much received wisdom. Yamaha were just catering to a trend by offering the active option rather than addressing any deficiency in the original model. In reality the BB3000 was just fine as it was. No need to mess with it. A truly classic bass.

Like so many things in life, I wish I had known back then what I know now, because in those days I wouldn't have looked at a Yamaha bass, based purely on my prejudices and preconceptions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus1 said:

Definitely! I'll message you

Wow you struck gold. 

I’ve been trying to source a Yamaha pulser 600 and not had the instant luck like you. 

you should offer masterclasses on getting what you want lmao. 

On 18/03/2024 at 12:42, Angus1 said:

Long shot but is anybody looking to sell a BB2000? I am hankering

Just found this. It’s literally a 15 min drive from me. Not looking for this bass and remembered you was after one. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266735988104?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=C-GOUviuTUW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Rn8UiLvPR9K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

4 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Just found this. It’s literally a 15 min drive from me. Not looking for this bass and remembered you was after one. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266735988104?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=C-GOUviuTUW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Rn8UiLvPR9K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That's a lovely looking example.  Something made me chuckle though:

image.png.134c46efa5a1321cfee3830719a73c9b.png

Now you can compare other BBs by how much they cost per kg - thanks eBay!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

That's a lovely looking example.  Something made me chuckle though:

image.png.134c46efa5a1321cfee3830719a73c9b.png

Now you can compare other BBs by how much they cost per kg - thanks eBay!

Lmao hahahaha I didn’t notice that. Hilarious. 

im after a Yamaha pulser 600, bb1000 or possibly bb3000. The bb3000 isn’t a I really want now. Tbh the 600 is 

I now have a BB2000 as my main and only bass. Like other neck through Yamahas I've had in the past (TRB6P and BB3000A), it's one of the best put together basses out there. Very aggressive and punchy bass with those three sweet spot pickup settings. Endless sustain and even across the fretboard. Just an incredible instrument. 

IMG_2485.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Cairobill said:

I now have a BB2000 as my main and only bass. Like other neck through Yamahas I've had in the past (TRB6P and BB3000A), it's one of the best put together basses out there. Very aggressive and punchy bass with those three sweet spot pickup settings. Endless sustain and even across the fretboard. Just an incredible instrument. 

IMG_2485.jpg

Nice. I’ve a question. As the pickups are aggressive and punchy (I presume tone wide open) when you rolled off the tone does it more bassy/thumpy like a generic style p bass sound or holds the same aggression and punch but with less treble? 

On 25/03/2024 at 11:18, soulstar89 said:

Nice. I’ve a question. As the pickups are aggressive and punchy (I presume tone wide open) when you rolled off the tone does it more bassy/thumpy like a generic style p bass sound or holds the same aggression and punch but with less treble? 

It’s very versatile. I’ve been playing it regularly over the past few days and can confirm that it is one of the slappiest basses I’ve ever hit with my thumb (on the central setting). But it also does a great burpy 80s J bass thing and can do a decent Jamerson. Very broad. 

On the neck pickup setting, rolling off the tone removes some of the clank and growl I suppose? Leaving a pleasing thumpy P with nice definition to my ear

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cairobill said:

On the neck pickup setting, rolling off the tone removes some of the clank and growl I suppose? Leaving a pleasing thumpy P with nice definition to my ears. 

So it is more than ‘three tones’. Surprisingly flexible bass. 

Great playing and also example. Yes it does have the thumpy sound but with good definition like you stated. Sometimes the traditional p bass pickup tone rolled off can sound a tad muddy. 

move your picking hand and then you have even more sounds. 

70’s-80’s Yamaha are less common here in the uk. Congrats on the purchase. 

Yes, a broad palette but no compromise in the sounds. Very top tier bass.  

The neck is also important I think. Just chunky enough but still very fast. 

I’m tempted to conclude that the BB2000 construction plays a big part in the quality of the tone. You can hear the sound of the thing unamplified and feel it in your fingers. Solid!

Edited by Cairobill