Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

So I tweaked my back (on the roof, too, doing a spot of DIY, tho not the full Rod Hull, thankfully) last weekend, and I've had a back-focused kinda week, so I decided to weigh all my basses. Tragically, my favourite gigging bass, the BB414, is (as I'd suspected/feared) the heaviest of the lot. What surprised me was by how much - after a bit of restringing/fettling, I gigged a Shuker that was nearly 2lbs lighter.

I'm now trying to think of simple ways to lighten it (I've already done the tuners, there's not much else easy to do), I may even explore more radical solutions...

7 minutes ago, Muzz said:

So I tweaked my back (on the roof, too, doing a spot of DIY, tho not the full Rod Hull, thankfully) last weekend, and I've had a back-focused kinda week, so I decided to weigh all my basses. Tragically, my favourite gigging bass, the BB414, is (as I'd suspected/feared) the heaviest of the lot. What surprised me was by how much - after a bit of restringing/fettling, I gigged a Shuker that was nearly 2lbs lighter.

I'm now trying to think of simple ways to lighten it (I've already done the tuners, there's not much else easy to do), I may even explore more radical solutions...

So, what is the weight?

Just now, neepheid said:

Hold my beer, where's that router? :D

Don't tempt me...the trouble is, if I did lighten the body, it'd neck dive, so the fix for that is...

Route out the back of the body to lighten it and then counter the neck dive by the popping some lead weights in the newly made cavity. 

Anything else you need help with just give us a shout. 🫡

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Maude said:

Route out the back of the body to lighten it and then counter the neck dive by the popping some lead weights in the newly made cavity.

you can route out the back of the neck to counter the neck dive.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

It was the combination of the weight of my 424 and the particular way it pulled against my injured shoulder that made me have to sell it. I often wonder what a 424 or 1024 would be like with the body reshaped and then chambered, with ultralight tuners. But not enough to spend the money finding out. But oh I miss that neck and oh I miss how it played. Oh well.