Why become a member? ×

80's brands that tried to kill your bass playing.

julesb

There's so much cheap stuff that is brilliant nowadays but anybody who was around in the eighties (and earlier obviously) knows what horror show gear was available to try and damp your enthusiam. Here's a few. Have I missed anybody?

Marlin
Hondo
Peavey
Carlsboro

Think your being a bit hard on peavey and carlsboro

I remember having a 4 x 15 carlsboro cabinet - wonderful tone but impossible to move

I remember all the dodgy jap basses when i coukd not afford fenders

Irononically, many of these awful basses are now sold on ebay as vintage instruments, which i guess they are, but still awful basses

I have to agree that you are being too hard on Peavey and Carlsbro. On of my bass heroes from the early 80s used a Carlsbro 1x15 bass combo (the green version) and got a fantastic sound out of his Aria Pro II SB1000 through it.

My rig for the whole of the 90s was a mixture of Carlsbro (1 x 15 cab and 350 + 350 stereo power amp), Peavey (BassFex and Spectrum Filter) combined with a home made 2 x 8 cab, and was totally reliable and great sounding.

IMO the 70s was far worse if you couldn't afford anything with a well-know name as not only did it sound rubbish but was completely unreliable with it.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1488483465' post='3249404']
I have nothing but praise for Peavey bass amps and combos.[/quote]

I never ever thought I would see that. For me peavey were the worst amps of all time.

Just a bit of fun though.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1488486023' post='3249446']
Well, the marlin sidewinder wasn't so bad!
[/quote]

I've always believed that in every production run there are a few really bad instruments due to everyone on the production line having a really bad day, and a handful of exceptional ones, when everyone had a really good day.

You must have had experience with an exceptional Sidewinder, because every Marlin I played in the late 80s/early 90s was horrible.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1488484342' post='3249422']
I never ever thought I would see that. For me peavey were the worst amps of all time.

Just a bit of fun though.
[/quote]
FWIW My 1983 Peavey Combo 300 gigged acros the USA & then mainland europe before coming home with me to the UK. Sold it to a student several years ago and as far a I know it is still his main gigging amp. Only time it ever had work done was when I installed a european mains transformer. Wonderful amp.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1488487268' post='3249462']
I've always believed that in every production run there are a few really bad instruments due to everyone on the production line having a really bad day, and a handful of exceptional ones, when everyone had a really good day.

You must have had experience with an exceptional Sidewinder, because every Marlin I played in the late 80s/early 90s was horrible.
[/quote]

It won loads of awards in the 80s, and stopped the Squiers being made in Japan to compete with it. I didn't have one, I had westones, but I had a friend who had one, and it wasn't bad at all, certainly better than a Gibson SG he had at the same time.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1488487983' post='3249473']

It won loads of awards in the 80s, and stopped the Squiers being made in Japan to compete with it. I didn't have one, I had westones, but I had a friend who had one, and it wasn't bad at all, certainly better than a Gibson SG he had at the same time.
[/quote]

Fair enough.

One time I repaired and set up a Marlin Strat copy for a chum's son. It was a nice little guitar, played cleanly and even though it had a plywood body it compared well in the sonic sense to a couple of 'real' Strats I own.

Likewise, I once had an 'amps shoot-out' evening with another friend where we compared a '78 Marshall JMP Mk2, a Rivera R55, a '72 SF Princeton, a '66 BF Bassman, an Epi Valve Junior and a Mk1 Peavey Bandit. In the end it came down to the Bassman and the Peavey (which triumphed because you can pick it up with one hand).

The really iffy gear in my day was the Jedson and Woolies guitars but even these beasts ccurrently enjoy a certain vogue, in part for their wonderfully raucous pick-ups.
[color=#faebd7].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

I went to buy a new Fender sometime early/mid 80s. Some of them were pish,lucky I had my Japanese copy to fall back on.

Boy last year was looking for a wee combo just for home use, for a laugh I offered him my old Carlsbro Stingray combo (washing machine). Owner of rehearsal place in Glasgow demanded I sell him said combo.

80s for me were all Carlsbro or Peavey,never played through a Trace E until 89.

Was there any difference between Kay guitar and Kay bass amps bar the name ? The Kay tulip bass was mince too

Edited by kodiakblair

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1488482456' post='3249392']
Think your being a bit hard on peavey and carlsboro

I remember having a 4 x 15 carlsboro cabinet - wonderful tone but impossible to move

I remember all the dodgy jap basses when i coukd not afford fenders

Irononically, many of these awful basses are now sold on ebay as vintage instruments, which i guess they are, but still awful basses
[/quote]
To be fair, many Fenders from that period were pretty awful...!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1488487337' post='3249464']
In my 38 years of playing I've always been far more disappointed by "name" basses than I have by cheap ones.
[/quote]

Have to agree with this.

I have an ancient Antoria P that plays and sounds as good as any Fender. At a recent bash I covered the headstocks on all my basses.
This was picked out as being a genuine vintage Fender. :ph34r:

One of my best amps was a Peavey Mk4 twin channel with graphic EQ and 400W.
Had an old Columbas bass that i thought was poor quality but having more experience now it wasn't as bad as some i've tried since. My mate still has that bass and his daughter learned on it.

Had a Carlsbro Stingray amp and it seemed ok at the time but i guess in comparison to modern amps it was a bit poor for the money but that's just progress.

After that early start with Columbas and Carlsbro i was fortunate to progress on to good quality gear with Peavey Mk4 and custom cabs and either Shergold twin neck, Aria, Fender, WAL.

Dave

Dave