Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones new album..

TheGreek

Over produced, over compressed and bland as hell.

After all these years, the money and all those albums they should have got together on a portch somewhere in the deep south of the USA with birds and neighbours clattering in the background and done a live outdoor acoustic/recording with slide....boy it would have been so refreshing, would have been amazing..imagine it.

Well I rather like it. I didn;t find it over produced and to be fair most CDs nowadays are overcompressed.

For me it didn't feel like it had been overdubbed to achieve perfection and there was a certain rawness about it. A good tribute to the bands early references.

Each to their own I guess.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1482095807' post='3197644']
Just seen the ad on the telly....anybody bought or planning to buy it? Have they had their day (again) or will they rise from the ashes like a Phoenix against all expectations?
[/quote]

I won't buy it, but I support it and I think it's cool they released a new blues cover album.

No expectations, The Stones are on my
"cant do any wrong" list.

Blue

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1482115234' post='3197776']
I like it, bearing in mind the age of the band it's like they decided as its probably the last album they would come full circle and returned to where they started.
[/quote]

Yeah, it sounds like it's similar to
"12 X 5".

Great reviews on YouTube.

Blue

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1482110156' post='3197761']
I did think of buying it regardless because I don't have any of their music at all and it would be good to hear more of it and get a better grasp of what they are about. May still do that after Christmas.
[/quote]

They're the best blues band to come out of London.IMO

Blue

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1482102450' post='3197713']
I heard a few tracks from it playing in HMV on Friday and whilst I haven't heard any rolling stones albums, I was expecting to hear something incredible but the tracks I heard didn't sound anything special.
[/quote]

You had to be there and you had to be a fan.

Blue

they sound bored to death.

Mick sounds like a white boy trying too hard to sound black. How did he get away with it for all these years.

In the end, the Stones are a cover band, copying others, even when they write their own songs lol

The only time they were great was with Mick Taylor.

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1482115234' post='3197776']
I like it, bearing in mind the age of the band it's like they decided as its probably the last album they would come full circle and returned to where they started.
[/quote]

Died in the wool Stones fan here but this is kind of what I'm saying

Richards will talk endlessly bout real old time blues, 'Blind Lemon Jefferson' and all that, that's why I cannot understand why they didn't go the full hog and go out for the last time with some real authenticity. Instead they've put out an album that will simply sell to the millions and make more millions....hugely dissapointing.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1482122173' post='3197787']

Mick sounds like a white boy trying too hard to sound black. How did he get away with it for all these years.

[/quote]they got away with because back then nobody knew how the originals sounded, and probably still wouldn't if it wasn't for bands like the Stones exporting to the USA their own music, a neat trick don't you think?
I've listened to the album on Spotify but I'm not a huge Bues fan, I soon get bored with it but don't find it annoying

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1482110156' post='3197761']
I did think of buying it regardless because I don't have any of their music at all and it would be good to hear more of it and get a better grasp of what they are about. May still do that after Christmas.
[/quote]

I've always found the 'Stones output a bit patchy - but then I suppose that if you've been going that long, you're bound to have had some ups and downs! However, when they're good, nobody in my opinion can touch them.

If you want to get a grasp of what they're about, I'd heartily recommend listining to any or all of the following:[list]
[*]Let it Bleed
[*]Beggars Banquet
[*]Sticky Fingers
[*]Exile on Main Street
[/list]

As a fan I'm still undecided. Some of the tunes are good, but after the 4th or 5th its hard to remember which song is which. They all sound to similar and don't have anything memorable.

After listening to it, I had none of the new tracks left in my head for the remainder of the day, and even that bloody Canadian child managed to do that when I heard one of his tracks on the radio earlier in the year. Not like what happened the first time I listened all the way through Let it Bleed anyhow.

On a semi-related note, I feel like time is running out for me to win my bet - I said Jagger would be 2016'd. I dont know whether Im happy or sad to lose this bet.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1482122173' post='3197787']
they sound bored to death.

In the end, the Stones are a cover band, copying others, even when they write their own songs lol

The only time they were great was with Mick Taylor.
[/quote]
As Sonny boy Williamson said about Clapton and the Yardbirds: “these British want to play the blues so bad,” Williamson once remarked, “and they play the blues so bad!”

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1482185353' post='3198346']
I'm not much of a Stones fan, and I don't really like blues.

Not much for me here.

Sorry to be negative
[/quote]

At some level you might, all genres outside of classical evolved from blues. Certainly all rock & country genres including metal. The roots of blues are there, but you might not recognize them.

I'm not a huge blues fan, however I'm aware of the history and value. The blues gave me the foundation to build my improvising skills.

It's still odd for me to run up against cats that can't improvise.

Blue

Edited by blue