Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones new album..

TheGreek

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1482187084' post='3198371']

But they've already made billions...its hideous.
[/quote]

I never understand this point of view. It seems a very British thing to hate success and deride those people that are really very good at what they do.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1482187407' post='3198377']
I never understand this point of view. It seems a very British thing to hate success and deride those people that are really very good at what they do.
[/quote]
Its ok, I was groovin to the guys back in the sixties. But this album is a crummy rehash which will hoodwink the uninitiated into thinking its the real deal. Id imagine practically zero effort was put into making this album.The boys were "successful" long before the idea of a blues album was even thought of. And as Ive already said if they wanted to go out with a real bang they should have done something completely different and authentic.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482186962' post='3198367']

At some level you might, all genres outside of classical evolved from blues. Certainly all rock & country genres including metal. The roots of blues are there, but you might not recognize them.

I'm not a huge blues fan, however I'm aware of the history and value. The blues gave me the foundation to build my improvising skills.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm well aware of the importance and foundation the blues has in rock and other genres. I enjoy many of the genres that the blues had spawned, I'm just not keen on blues as a genre itself, and what it evolved into once it went electric.

I do however enjoy very much the originators like Robert Johnson, and I dig the whole scratchy, time capsule experience of listening to those old hotel room recordings. Authenticity.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1482189092' post='3198402']

I'm well aware of the importance and foundation the blues has in rock and other genres. I enjoy many of the genres that the blues had spawned, I'm just not keen on blues as a genre itself, and what it evolved into once it went electric.

I do however enjoy very much the originators like Robert Johnson, and I dig the whole scratchy, time capsule experience of listening to those old hotel room recordings. Authenticity.
[/quote]

Well said.

Cheers

Blue

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1482187407' post='3198377']

[/quote]

I think it's less about deriding people who are good at what they do, and more about some people's suspicion of anything that's perceived as being unauthentic or insincere.

I'm not sure any blues we listen to these days is 'authentic'.

The earliest recorded blues sounded like this.

The Ma Rainey number is the closest to what most people think of as 'the blues' , in that it has a guitar solo playing the familiar notes.

http://youtu.be/pgogFa_46D8

http://youtu.be/0-Q1ksUsKxM

http://youtu.be/3MCHI23FTP8

http://youtu.be/HU00RnK5SBo

In my opinion it's all in the vocal, later interpretations were about copying the force and emotion of the vocal on other instruments (guitar, brass, piano etc).

Although I reckon there is an arguement for Blind Lemon Jefferson accidentally invenventing rock'n'roll.

Just listen to those opening notes and compare to Chuck Berry.

Edited by Cato

The Stones are a great rock band. They practically invented the stadium rock genre. Anything they do will sound like them and not their influences. The good bands and players will always do this.

A band embarking on a world tour taking in dozens of countries over several years will usually put out an album. After 55 or so years it's unlikely that any band will be writing songs as great as they did in their hey-day, but it's "product" and many people around the world will want to buy so it's cool to make an album for them.

Nit picking that they don't write songs like they used to is petty and pointless.

The Stones are one of the more successful exports from the UK to the rest of the world. They have helped to change cultures (not many bands have achieved that) and today they still make a lot of people happy.

Sadly, it says much about us, as Brits, that so many find it easier to focus on the negative, rather than enjoying the positive.

IMO they sound as great as ever. It will be a very sad day when they stop touring.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1482189527' post='3198406']

I think it's less about deriding people who are good at what they do, and more about some people's suspicion of anything that's perceived as being unauthentic or insincere.
[/quote]

Wouldn't that mean that no-one can play the blues any more?

I like it!!!!

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3]I think it's wonderful that the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world can sound like me and my mates playing an unrehearsed gig down our local boozer.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3]I just wish that more bands adopted the attitude of "We don't care, let's have some fun, enjoy ourselves and the punters probably will, too".[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3]...and Charlies drums sounding like dustbins is great.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3]IMHO expecting perfectionism leads to misery in most cases.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial][size=3](cor! that's a bit heavy for a Tuesday afternoon, innit?) [/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482226079' post='3198533']
The Stones are a great rock band. They practically invented the stadium rock genre. Anything they do will sound like them and not their influences.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Clapton's From The Cradle was a better 'tribute' to his blues heroes in a stylistic sense, depending on your definition of 'better' of course.

I didnt realise it was the Stone when i first heard it, i though someone had just recorded an open mic night at a local blues club for 2 hours and then just put gaps in it. Its like one of those jive bunny albums where there is a common beat going all the way through only this time its just the same 3 chords.
To me it just looks like the men who dont need any more money have found an even easier way of making more without making any effort.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1482246002' post='3198817']

Its like one of those jive bunny albums where there is a common beat going all the way through only this time its just the same 3 chords.
[/quote]

Isn't that simply the history of all blues recordings :)

Sorry bout the feathering ruffling peeps. My point was that I just love it when Keef waxes lyrical bout the real old time blues, and he always does it holding a guitar and slide tube
To me it really does seem that that's what he would somehow someday like to do...who knows it may even happen.

Interesting that the Stones have [i]finally[/i] managed to release a decent blues album. It just took them fifty-odd years and then three days in the studio. It's a dark, messy take on the 50's Chicago electric blues tone: dirty, blurred and reverb-drenched, it sounds like it was laid down in minutes and mixed on the fly.

Even though it's the Stones at work it's the least Stonesy album one might have expected: there's a lot of on-the-beat discipline and an almost complete absence of Richard's trademark 'roll' and loose swagger. Tight rhythms and smeary guitars: as an homage to golden-age Michigan Avenue and Hastings Street the album totally delivers, IMO.
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1482268448' post='3199157']
Interesting that the Stones have [i]finally[/i] managed to release a decent blues album. It just took them fifty-odd years and then three days in the studio. It's a dark, messy take on the 50's Chicago electric blues tone: dirty, dark and reverb-drenched it sounds like it was laid down in minutes and mixed on the fly.

Even though it's the Stones at work it's the least Stonesy album one might have expected: there's a lot of on-the-beat discipline and an almost complete absence of Richard's trademark 'roll' and loose swagger. Tight rhythms and smeary guitars: as an homage to golden-age Michigan Avenue and Hastings Street the album totally delivers, IMO.
[/quote]

That's what I would have liked to have been able to say.

Edited for grammar

Edited by ead

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482115908' post='3197779']
They're the best blues band to come out of London.IMO
[/quote]

Fleetwood Mac were just so good but the band that usually gets forgotten when talking about British blues bands is Cream.

When they started and for the first 3 or 4 months about 80% of their set was blues that anyone in the Deep South would have recognised. They started to change into the prototype rock blues band pretty quickly but from when they started to just before they recorded the first album they were the best blues band in the UK.