Why become a member? ×

String order - why?

T-Bay

Just a thought but why are the strings on basses/ guitars ordered top low- bottom high. Why not bottom low - top high? Would sort of make more sense. Is it because of how commonly each of the strings is used? (but doesn't that vary person to person as well?)

Edited by T-Bay

Guitars and basses have evolved from much older instruments, I would guess that the convention has always been that way.

Plus if you ever try playing chords on a left handed guitar but held upside down so you can play it right handed it's a darned tricky business, with fingers getting in each others way.

I think its simply based on convention from the instruments the bass guitar evolved from - double bass and guitar. Why is it like this on those instruments? I think possibly, its logically chosen like that because on eg voilin/viola/cello its easier to have the thicker/lower in pitch strings above the fingers when they're pressing on thinner/higher pitch strings during chords and double stops, rather than having to effectively bridge over an open string when stopping higher strings.

Also, indirectly related, I believe that the ancestors/predecessors of both guitar and double bass evolved from a common instrument, hence why the tuning of a bass guitar EADG is the same as the tuning of the bottom 4 strings of a guitar in conventional tuning, its not just coincidence there is a historical reason. But I'm not 100% sure on that, since loads of different tunings were used over the years/centuries.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1480179123' post='3182311']
Just a thought but why are the strings on basses/ guitars ordered top low- bottom high. Why not bottom low - top high? Would sort of make more sense. Is it because of how commonly each of the strings is used? (but doesn't that vary person to person as well?)
[/quote]

It doesn't matter because bassists shouldn't be playing above the fifth fret on the two low strings anyway 'lol'.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1480180523' post='3182337']
I'm gonna mention Lee Pomeroy.
[/quote]

He's a weirdo - plays left handed on a right hand strung left handed bass,,,,
I suppose that's what happens when a lefty learns on a righty,,,,

I bet he has trouble moving on his basses given the nut's the wrong way round.

Edited by Twigman

[i]"It doesn't matter because bassists shouldn't be playing above the fifth fret on the two low strings anyway 'lol'. ????????????[/i]

Try playing the header of Donna Lee (or pretty much any other Jazz tune) without doing that!! there are a lot of nice chords and harmonics up there too. Used to be said that you only get a good bass tone using as much string length as possible .. so it sort of depends on your priorities. :-)

I've seen quite a few left handed bassists playing right handed basses without changing the strings round, makes no difference if it's what you're used too and you don't play chords on a bass, once saw a Rolling Stones covers band where both guitarist played left handed on right handed guitars, asked them if the chords were harder to play, "some are some are easier" came the reply

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1480179123' post='3182311']
[/quote]

I can't tell you why but many players have the strings reversed in the manner you mention. Having started myself with a left handed friend's instrument I had to relearn on my first proper bass. I don't recall it being a problem relearning. I hadn't a great deal of experience anyway so I followed convention for convenience. I don't think I could play a lefty in the same way now though.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1480249164' post='3182748']

I can't tell you why but many players have the strings reversed in the manner you mention. Having started myself with a left handed friend's instrument I had to relearn on my first proper bass. I don't recall it being a problem relearning. I hadn't a great deal of experience anyway so I followed convention for convenience. I don't think I could play a lefty in the same way now though.
[/quote]
Makes sense! So I guess it's just that way but doesn't really matter more than what you get used to.

(From your user name, are you from Spondon by any chance? I grew up in Spondon and still have a lot of family in the area)

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1480250920' post='3182765']
Makes sense! So I guess it's just that way but doesn't really matter more than what you get used to.

(From your user name, are you from Spondon by any chance? I grew up in Spondon and still have a lot of family in the area)
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1480247968' post='3182736']
[i]"It doesn't matter because bassists shouldn't be playing above the fifth fret on the two low strings anyway 'lol'. ????????????[/i]

Try playing the header of Donna Lee (or pretty much any other Jazz tune) without doing that!! there are a lot of nice chords and harmonics up there too. Used to be said that you only get a good bass tone using as much string length as possible .. so it sort of depends on your priorities. :-)
[/quote]

I'll think you'll find he's pulling your leg mate, Dood has many basses with many many strings!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480268296' post='3182951']
Convention.

Every stringed instrument, even the piano, goes from low to high, left to right.
[/quote]

Except its not true. 1) the horizontal position of the guitar, bass guitar, violin and viola means that there is no "left" and "right" strings. 2) the string instruments played upright (cello and double bass) have their lowest string on the right, as the player sees it, which is the opposite direction to a piano as the player sees it.

Edited by paul_c2

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1480275695' post='3183039']

Except its not true. 1) the horizontal position of the guitar, bass guitar, violin and viola means that there is no "left" and "right" strings. 2) the string instruments played upright (cello and double bass) have their lowest string on the right, as the player sees it, which is the opposite direction to a piano as the player sees it.
[/quote]

Stick a violin or viola under your chin. Which way are the strings? Turn the violin round so it's a guitar or double bass, the strings have to be in the same position or your fingering all goes to pot.