Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn. Squier SQ Series 3TSB Precision.
£450

itsmedunc

May PX against cheaper Precision maybe a Jazz (Oly white/maple board would be good). Maybe Jamhub, Roland HS-5.

Squier SQ Precision. Dates to around 84. 3 Tone Sunburst, white plate, rosewood board. Great condition for it's age but it's not like new. It has dings an dongs which can only be expected for a bass that has been played for 30 odd years. Nice low action and plays/sounds every bit as good as my JV. Certainly well balanced and doesn't feel too heavy to a man with a glass back :) Getting 2 totally different weights on scales now so, I'm really not sure.

Strung with flats and has a true big Precision sound. All original as far as I'm aware. A previous owner has had his name scribed on the metal neck pate. I quite like that, as it adds to it's history.

Sorry about rubbish pics will try and get some more up tomorrow.

Comes with padded gig bag.

Collection preferred but will post at buyers risk and cost. Will be well packed. Might be able to meet up if not too far from BB22SH.

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1479980961' post='3180714']
Lovely colour :)
Where was this one made, Japan?
Is it one of the Silver Series?
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments lads. The SQ Series are really nice. Not a Silver Series, the SQ were the next series after the JV's. Made in Japan.

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1479984297' post='3180737']
indeed, 1984 / 86 to my memory....

identical to JV .... in my opinion ...
[/quote]

I've got a JV (not fender logo) and an SQ and they are similar but different. Same build quality I reckon and the body of the SQ is actually nicer. The necks are quite different, the JV is a bit slimmer and has more rounded edge profile, and the SQ has a slightly thicker neck but the square edges of the fretboard make it feel quite different. Someone here said the SQ neck is more 70s but I wouldn't know. The JV has cloth wires and I'm not sure re the pickups but I left it all original. The SQ I put a KiOgon loom in and Fender Custom Shop Vintage 62 pickups (the more expensive versions) and the bass sounds fantastic. The nut was quite high on the SQ, I had it cut lower and the chap that did it for me was raving about how nice the bass sounded. Bass Raver!

Edited by tedmanzie

I heard the JV's were based on 50's/60's and the SQ's more on 70's, so that would back up your thinking ted. Certainly the tuners are more 70's than the elephant-ears on the JV's, and the bridge on the JV's is 50's/60's style threaded.

The SQ's always seem to have much stronger grain pattern thanks to the Sen Ash bodies. I know JV's did use Sen Ash but I think this may have been earlier on, with the Fender badged JV's. Certainly my JV '57 has nowhere near this grain and I think the body is alder.

The SQ's also seem to have the most delicious three tone coloring too, plenty of red in there.

I'd love to try one, I'd love to buy this if I could justify it!

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1480101981' post='3181745']
I owned this once. Really is a lovely playing quality Precision.
[/quote]

Thanks for the thumbs up, especially from a previous owner! Will be sorry to see it go but needs must...

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1480593039' post='3185665']
Is the pick guard original? I thought with headstock truss adjustment it wouldnt have the cut outs
[/quote]

It doesnt adjust at the head it adjusts at the heel...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1480597384' post='3185703']
Hard to believe this is still here!
[/quote]

Fair bit of interest to be honest but I think the pics are letting it down. I can't seem to get a photo taken in daylight!

[quote name='mr.noisy' timestamp='1480594655' post='3185675']
Ah, I am super tempted but thats a bit far from London and I am not too keen on buying before trying.
[/quote]

Missed your reply. Al Bundy! My hero. Taught me everything I need to know about the fairer sex!

All I can say is, buy it, try it. If you don't like it send it back and I'll refund your money...

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1481220301' post='3190749']
I am amazed this is still here! --

I owned this beauty for nearly 4 years and you will be hard pushed to find an SQ as good as this one both in looks and playability!

Will.
[/quote]

Cheers Will, it is a great instrument and I'll be sad to see it go. If the money situation changes, I'll be keeping it!