Why become a member? ×

"U boy Jaco Pastorouis (sic)" ??

solo4652

I've been swapping emails with somebody about possibly setting up a soul/funk/blues covers band. To get a feel for what sort of music he's into, I said "Here's a blank songlist. What songs would you[i] really[/i] want to see on there?" His reply: "u boy Jaco Pastorouis"

I don't know what this means. I thought u boy might be a Jaco song, but it seems not. Could it be some sort of reference to Jaco playing on Ian Hunter's All American Alien Boy album, perhaps? Googling "U boy" throws up lots of stuff about boy-girl dating, but I can't see what that has to do with soul/funk/blues music at all.

Have I missed something obvious? Am I an old fart who should know what/who U boy is, but doesn't?

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1479317598' post='3175619']
So, why didn't you reply to his email, asking precisely that ?
[/quote]

I've already done that, actually. Here's the message thread for you, starting with his reply to my question; "What songs would you put onto a blank setlist?"

Him: "U boy jaco pastorouis . I'll bring acoustic guitar . Play few riffs pointless saying influences as there's thousands lol. Give ya no. I'll call you have a chin wag . Peace"
Me: " “u boy jaco pastorouis” Sorry – not quite sure what you mean."
Him: "I was saying my favourite bass player is jaco pastorouis am crap at emails etc . Especially on blumming phone ."
Me: "OK. I’m still not sure what you mean by “u boy”. Googling doesn’t help me to understand. Apologies for my ignorance."

No reply.

Aha! That's it! He plays bass, guitar and drums. When he said ;" U boy Jaco Pastorious. I'll bring acoustic guitar...", he meant; "You be Jaco (in his clumsy email-speak, this becomes "U boy Jaco.."), and I'll play acoustic guitar". Yep - that sort of makes sense. Serves me right for being too literal.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1479327004' post='3175724']
I've already done that, actually. Here's the message thread for you, starting with his reply to my question; "What songs would you put onto a blank setlist?"

Him: "U boy jaco pastorouis . I'll bring acoustic guitar . Play few riffs pointless saying influences as there's thousands lol. Give ya no. I'll call you have a chin wag . Peace"
Me: " “u boy jaco pastorouis” Sorry – not quite sure what you mean."
Him: "I was saying my favourite bass player is jaco pastorouis am crap at emails etc . Especially on blumming phone ."
Me: "OK. I’m still not sure what you mean by “u boy”. Googling doesn’t help me to understand. Apologies for my ignorance."

No reply.
[/quote]

Let me tell you what it means. It means...find someone else to form a band with. If the guy can't list a handful of his favourite songs, it does not auger well, for good communication if/when you did get a band up and running.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1479331806' post='3175793']
Let me tell you what it means. It means...find someone else to form a band with. If the guy can't list a handful of his favourite songs, it does not auger well, for good communication if/when you did get a band up and running.
[/quote]

Yes - you're right. I've already crossed him off my "possibles" list.

I am wondering if its a combination of a misspelling, then a predictive text replacement, and a semi-literate sender. For example he might have meant "You know Jaco Pastorius?" but it was spelt/typed as "u now Jaco Pastorouis", then predictive text combined with a mistype changed it "now" to "boy"?

Surely he meant "Ur boy Jaco..." and missed the r ? Slightly slangy for "Your boy Jaco....."? But what would I know. When I send text messages (I do not "text" as I try really hard not to use nouns as verbs. My sister-in-law who is an English teacher informs me that nouns used this way are referred to as "Nerbs". I kid you not.) I write them as mini letters, punctuate them and use all the vowels but I am of a certain age. The sender is clearly of a different generation and feels free to mangle the English language as he sees fit. That's up to him but if it results in a complete lack of understanding on the part of the recipient it's valueless as an attempt at communication, really. Reminds me of when my daughter went for her interview/assessment for entry to Southampton School of Nursing: the candidates were asked to write a short piece on a given subject and were told explicitly that "text language" was not appropriate. Three girls were sent home immediately afterwards for guess what? Yes, they did. Rant over. Back to running through tonight's set list before a trip to Mr. Sainsbury's emporium. Oh the excitement of it all. Still, it promises to be a nice gig in a very nice little pub so that's something to look forward to, but I am now well off topic!

Edit: should that be "a trip 2 Sainsburys" or even " cos I gotta go Sainsburys"?

Edited by phil.c60