Why become a member? ×

Sting.

bubinga5

Like Bono, Sting seems to inspire utter hatred in a lot of people, which I've never really understood. He's written some great songs and is clearly a fine musician. The Police emerged just as I was getting into pop music, and alongside people like Paul Simonon, Mark Bedford and Horace Panter he inspired me to aspire to think about becoming a bass player.

I was a big fan of Sting's playing and I loved the reggae influenced space and economy with which he put together his Police era basslines.

https://youtu.be/J9GeWdObMQY

I lost interest after The Police broke up and other than the Blue Turtle album I haven't been much of a fan of his solo stuff (I've always found it a bit 'worthy' if you know what I mean). But he is someone that I admire, and has definitely been an influence on me to some degree.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1476738247' post='3156898']
Had a quick rummage for the If You Love Sombody live but can only find earlier (Bring On The Night era) clips. Got any links to the Tracy version?

Wooden spoon bonus round: Temptation/Frustration etc. etc.
[/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUaDJm0ac8
There you go.

My uncle loved music and I think I inherited my love of music from him. One birthday he didn't know what to get me so he bought me the best of sting and the police. I wasn't too impressed at the time but grew to absolutely love the song writing and of course the baselines. My brother then bought me a police box set some years later and I love it. Such great song writing.

I really liked Police stuff up to Synchronicity but, as with so many UK bands who start to crack the US, they morphed into stadium-rock. Out when the reggae touches an the spare production and then it all got a bit over produced. I don't get the anti-Sting stuff at all. So he's pro-environment. When's that ever been a crime, other than in Trumpworld?

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1476885604' post='3158113']
I really liked Police stuff up to Synchronicity but, as with so many UK bands who start to crack the US, they morphed into stadium-rock. [b]Out when the reggae touches an the spare production and then it all got a bit over produced.[/b] I don't get the anti-Sting stuff at all. So he's pro-environment. When's that ever been a crime, other than in Trumpworld?
[/quote]

Must admit, I prefer there stuff up to the Synchronicity album, not that its bad just over produced and polished. Yep, nowt wrong with standing up for the environment. As for Bono, everyone knows what you get with him and U2. Lots of there songs are political so he is bound to mention it at a gig.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1476884937' post='3158107']
IMO, the bass part for 'Tea In the Sahara' encapsulates the 'less is more' ethos. It's especially remarkable given the prevailing trends of the time.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcEumfNE9vM[/media]
[/quote]Great track, the live version's good too (bit of Taurus pedals). I love all the bass sounds on Synchronicity too.

• 2 months later...

Apart from the blue turtles cd i have missed most of stings solo cds

I got pissed off buying full priced police cds back in the day - when they were around £15 each - remember?

Because apart from outlandas d mour, they tended to follow the same format, one or two stand out singles and the rest a lot of padding.

So with this in mind i gave stings solo cds a miss.

As they can now be bought for a couple of quid each on ebay, i have now bought 5 of his solo cds with another 2 on the way

Amazed, i find that most of them are pretty good, with some fine tunes, nice hooks and some good jazz musos blowing great lines and very little padding

An eye opener

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1476567776' post='3155350']
I think this is such an amazingly well put together peice of music. The album that it comes from is also superb. I love early Police like Sycronicity 2. Really fantastic music. But Ten Summoners Tales is just one of the greatest albums. Like him or not, his music is really good. Imo

http://youtu.be/pG7_gceIFL4
[/quote]

My theme tune to asking a girl out when I was 19. Circa 2003. And I had a rival for her affection.

He won. The mirror squeaked away I ran. Sunday was too late!.

After that I never repeated that mistake and became bold in matters of the heart. But whenever I hear the song I think back to sitting in my first car, its snowing and desperately trying to work up the courage to ring her. And in the CD player was the very best of sting and the police.

Didn't Stewart Copeland write F*** off you c*** on his toms, with a pic of Sting on one and hit them extra harder? :D

Edited by McBass

Loved The Police but never got into Sting's solo stuff. I thought he'd probably disappeared up his own arse when he came back from the rain forest and started going on about tantric sex and having lute lessons. I should probably check out his solo stuff at some point though.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1484509853' post='3215996']
Apart from the blue turtles cd i have missed most of stings solo cds

I got pissed off buying full priced police cds back in the day - when they were around £15 each - remember?

Because apart from outlandas d mour, they tended to follow the same format, one or two stand out singles and the rest a lot of padding.

So with this in mind i gave stings solo cds a miss.

As they can now be bought for a couple of quid each on ebay, i have now bought 5 of his solo cds with another 2 on the way

Amazed, i find that most of them are pretty good, with some fine tunes, nice hooks and some good jazz musos blowing great lines and very little padding

An eye opener
[/quote]Police albums with filler?