Why become a member? ×

Which Flatwound strings

jonunders

There are dozens of threads on here about flats that will give you info on peoples personal preferences. It comes down to what sound you want. Some retain a certain zing and others are very dead sounding. Tension is also a factor.
A good start is fender flats as they are very cheap at £20 a set so you are not spending a lot to just try and they give a good typical flat sound and feel.

My favourites are Daddario chromes.

I would never go back to rounds now.

Edited by bonzodog

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1476341105' post='3153393']
There are dozens of threads on here about flats that will give you info on peoples personal preferences. It comes down to what sound you want. Some retain a certain zing and others are very dead sounding. Tension is also a factor.
[/quote]

+1 to the above.

For me, there is only one brand of flats...Thomastik Jazz Flats (TI's). No doubt they are expensive, but like all flats, after the initial out lay, they last for years, and so in the long run, are at least at equal value with rounds. I have a set of TI's on my G&L L2000 Tribute and I love the tone.

The TI's do have VERY low tension, which is not for everyone.

Chromes for me, too. If you want real old skool, La Bella, but Chromes more versatile and an easier chpicce for someone making the switch from rounds. I've an idea the new Fender flats may be re-badged Chromes. They are very similar - gauges, specs, etc and even have the coloured ball ends. I suspect D'Addario is making them for Fender.

Ive got La Bella 760 FLs on both my Precision and my Lull.

I find them deeper and bassier than the Thomastik Infelds (which are on my other bass) but still decent tension, not too stiff at all, and enough to string bend (a bit!).

The ones on my Lull are new and still quite bright; the ones on my P are settling down to a much duller thud.

Personally i find flats great - not necessarily when played alone, but in a band (and definitely on the recent recordings I've been doing) they provide the best fat smooth bass sound ever.

I did briefly try Rotosound flats but didn't really get on with them and that put me off flats at the time. But TI's and La Bellas are both fantastic strings.

And if you don't like them, you can always sell them on here!

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1476352853' post='3153508']
Chromes for me, too. If you want real old skool, La Bella, but Chromes more versatile and an easier chpicce for someone making the switch from rounds. I've an idea the new Fender flats may be re-badged Chromes. They are very similar - gauges, specs, etc and even have the coloured ball ends. I suspect D'Addario is making them for Fender.
[/quote]

This has been discussed a few times over on Talkbass. It does look likely that Fender flats are made by D'Addario, but there are some differences in the materials and construction between the two. So there's probably some family resemblance but they're not simply re-badged Chromes.
I'm using Sadowsky flats, which likewise are made by LaBella to a slightly different recipe than their own strings. Those have a reasonable balance between old-school thump and clarity, but are a couple of steps darker than Chromes.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1476357306' post='3153563']

This has been discussed a few times over on Talkbass. It does look likely that Fender flats are made by D'Addario, but there are some differences in the materials and construction between the two. So there's probably some family resemblance but they're not simply re-badged Chromes.
I'm using Sadowsky flats, which likewise are made by LaBella to a slightly different recipe than their own strings. Those have a reasonable balance between old-school thump and clarity, but are a couple of steps darker than Chromes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up re. Sadowsky. I've not seen them, but will try to locate a set. I tried Thomastik and liked them, apart from the over-light A string (only .70), which was just too slack (and had intonation issues - I couldn't move the bridge saddle far enough forward to get the octave in tune). I replaced it with a .80 Chrome, which matches quite well - they're on my Jazz at the moment.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1476358337' post='3153579']
Thanks for the heads up re. Sadowsky. I've not seen them, but will try to locate a set. I tried Thomastik and liked them, apart from the over-light A string (only .70), which was just too slack (and had intonation issues - I couldn't move the bridge saddle far enough forward to get the octave in tune). I replaced it with a .80 Chrome, which matches quite well - they're on my Jazz at the moment.
[/quote]

The last 4-string set I got was from an Ebay Seller in Poland. About £36 posted. I found that Thomastik strings were a bit like playing with wet string. The Sadowskys are a bit tighter but each their own.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1476358647' post='3153587']
The last 4-string set I got was from an Ebay Seller in Poland. About £36 posted. I found that Thomastik strings were a bit like playing with wet string. The Sadowskys are a bit tighter but each their own.
[/quote]

Mine came from Bass Strings Online in the US and worked out as quite good value, but the pound/dollar rate was a bit more favourable then (which I'll say no more about for the sake of avoiding politics). Somehow they managed to arrive without my being asked for any customs fees, but I presume that doesn't always happen.

The cobalts are flatwounds that sound like rounds, don't really see the point except they're nicer feeling on soft hands ;) Didn't last very long on my bass, started going rusty after a few gigs & I've swapped them out. I've gone back to the Status Halfrounds. Still got that flatwound feel but sound like a worn-in roundwound and closer to flats & much better value for money. Hope they are UK made & not shipped in, otherwise this Brexit nonsense is going to start costing me. With my luck they're probably made by Unilever too :blink:

Never really been a Flats player - even though I also play DB
For me, I used to find too much "drag" on the left hand, when using flats, and every set I tried seemed too high tension
However, I'm a bit more used to the feel of them now, but I still prefer the lower tension Thomastik (Jazz) Flats.
As others have pointed out, they are expensive, but if tension is an issue for you, these are very low tension compared to any others I've tried. I use them on my Fretless P bass

I'm loving La Bella 760N Black Nylon on my Rob Allen & Steinberger fretless basses so much that Iv'e just ordered a set for my fretless precision.

I've also tried them on a fretted N.S Synapse which I prefer over the La Bella steel flats.

I've tried Thomastiks & others but prefer La Bella overall

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1476372432' post='3153753']
I'm loving La Bella 760N Black Nylon on my Rob Allen & Steinberger fretless basses so much that Iv'e just ordered a set for my fretless precision.

I've also tried them on a fretted N.S Synapse which I prefer over the La Bella steel flats.

I've tried Thomastiks & others but prefer La Bella overall
[/quote]

How do you find the tension on the LaBella Black Nylons Mr Bassman?
Before trying the TI Flats, I used Rotosound Steve Harris Flats on my Fretless P.
Nice sound, but quite high tension still

So far I've tried Fender, Ernie Ball, Status, La Bella and D'Addario flats. My favourite is La Bella's (heavy, tense & great tone) and least favourite Fender (felt cheap & the A string didn't sound right). Just a personal preference. Good luck.

As you've probably concluded it's a minefield. I haven't tried all the makes but a fair few.

This is interesting:

http://www.shortscalebass.co.uk/short-scale-string-choice/

Not that I agree with his view on Rotosound as I have always liked their tone and tension, and price.

Unfortunately the wrong choice can cost but any set you try and dislike can always be sold on on this forum and 1/2 the price recouped toward the next set to try.

I have reached the point where I have a different make of flats on each bass (5) I own, e.g. La Bella 760F-MUS on the Squire Mustang and Rotosound RS77M on the Epiphone viola. My Aria has chromes I think, (on when purchased). So besides the tone, tension and feel, the instrument itself I find sort of dictates the string type/gauge.

The first flat-wound I tried was a set of tape-wound on a Jazz. That was my "light-bulb" moment. But when I tried tape-wound on my Precision I wasn't happy and changed to Jazz77 which to my ears felt and sounded right.

I haven't disliked any make of flat-wound I've tried only preferred the slight differences in tone and tension and feel. Good luck, hope you enjoy that flat-wound sound as much as I do.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1476371237' post='3153739']
I've gone back to the Status Halfrounds. Still got that flatwound feel but sound like a worn-in roundwound and closer to flats & much better value for money. Hope they are UK made & not shipped in :blink:
[/quote]

[font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"]These precision bass strings are NOT simply another
company's strings, re-packaged, with yet another label on the outside.
We have taken time to develop a unique range of strings to cater for any playing style.
All our stings are [/color][/size][/font][font="Verdana"][color="#ffffff"]HAND-WOUND[/color][/font][font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"] here in the UK.
All round, flat and half-wound strings are made from the finest stainless steel.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"]These precision bass strings are NOT simply another
We have taken time to develop a unique range of strings to cater for any playing style.
All our stings are [/color][/size][/font][font="Verdana"][color="#ffffff"]HAND-WOUND[/color][/font][font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"] here in the UK.
All round, flat and half-wound strings are made from the finest stainless steel.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"]Th[/color][/size][/font][font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"][font="Verdana"][size="-1"][color="#ffffff"]These precision bass strings are NOT simply another
ese precision bass strings are NOT simply another