Why become a member? ×

How many BassChatters have never ever gigged?

thebrig

[quote name='r0ger9' timestamp='1509049950' post='3396356']
Thanks guys for the very positive vibes & advice (advibes), should help me progress a little further from my current state of 'all the gear, but no idea'
[/quote]

There used to be jam nights in the White hart in Buckingham town centre, My band have hosted a couple in the past, get yerself down there and mingle, its a nice vibe and you will be surprised at how good you are compared to how good you think you are, when you can see what others are doing :)

Welcome to the forum BTW, hope you find something to help you along the path.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1509030875' post='3396178']
I have to say that it saddens me to read about those of you who think you "arent good enough for a band".

We all started out being crap players and struggling to learn the ropes. [/quote]

I was lucky, none of my gang could play back in 1965. We were all around 12 years old, *we just bought guitars, basses and drums and all learned together.

Blue

*Actually our parents bought the instruments.

Other than the occasional bit of dep work with wedding bands I've not gigged properly as a bass player for almost a dozen years. Been a drummer in a couple of groups up to to a year or so ago and now in a newish folk-world music type combo. Still not playing bass though! Basswise, funk, afrobeat and Dub are my main things but just not been able to find others who wanna play this

Not Guilty lol....having played my first proper paid gig in '81 did a few sort of public things prior to that in the late 70's but like I say first proper gig in 81 that band split up in 86....played in another Band that was a bit of a waste of time just a few gigs and members coming and going till about 89/90....then i was on continental shift work and i packed up gigging wasn't worth it with only 1 weekend off in 3....late 90's got the bug again and was working days played regularly in different bands upto end of 2014 but working permanent nights during the week i can't commit to rehearsals during week so haven't played for nearly 3 years now....lost all my confidence and at 56 i don't see any come back and don't have a lot of interest nowadays...Our local gig scene is getting pretty bad these days.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1509030875' post='3396178']
I have to say that it saddens me to read about those of you who think you "arent good enough for a band".

We all started out being crap players and struggling to learn the ropes.

[/quote]

My first bass playing gig (I'd done 1 at school as a keyboard player the year before), was in 1983; I'd been learning "bass" (it was actually an acoustic guitar which I ignored the top 2 strings on) by attempting to play along to Bootsy records for about 2 months, when some mates decided after a bit of a heavy night, that we should get a band together.
So after 1 rehearsal (all 8 hours of it, producing 3 "songs") we played our debut at Leeds University Tartan bar - I used a borrowed shortscale Gibson. And what a racket it was!
But bizarrely, we then got asked to play some parties (our songs were very long - the sort of thing where the singer could nip out for a bath, put on a baked potato, have a couple of beers, eat the spud, come back and we'd still be playing the bridge of "Carnival").
And even a gig at the Warehouse, once we'd promised to write a few more songs and not play any of them for more than 10 minutes.
So it shows anybody can do gigs, no matter what ability level they are (almost!)...

Well.. I've never gigged.. for 16 years. :ph34r: I started learning Bass in 1990 and played/gigged regularly for around 10-years until a very long pause..... of about 10-years.

A few weeks ago, my brother asked me to play Bass in a group (with folks I know) at my new Nieces' dedication service. If he wasn't family, would I be doing it? No way......!

I am currently a spare room warrior trying to get back into playing after a ten year (or so) break.

My wife and I organized a large Christian music band some years ago and I mainly set up the sound system and helped out on backing vocals. When our bass player had to leave for other commitments I stepped in. I had been learning (without much success) the classical guitar so thought the bass would be easier. I've always liked good bass lines so maybe I was destined to play one!

The band was about 15 strong with; drums, bass, guitar, trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, oboe, violin, keyboard, flute and several vocalists - we made a big sound (enough for me to hide behind). I played just what was needed but found that being in a band made me raise my game. I was never very good but my playing certainly improved over the time I was part of the group. Getting that many people together for rehearsals and gigs was a good trick - if you have problems getting four or five members in one place at the same time try 15! The band came to a natural end and my bass remained in its case until a few months ago when someone in the church I now attend asked if I played anything. When I mentioned the bass his eyes lit up, "We don't have a bass player!" So, at the age of 67, I'm getting back up to speed and there is a possibility that I'll be up in front of the congregation by Christmas. I am enjoying learning again, both from chord charts and sheet music. My wife, an oboe player, says that learning something new at my age will help ward off dementia and I'll be very happy if that is the case!

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1476701184' post='3156344']
I'm surprised SO many people here seem to be in bands. If you asked the same question on a guitar forum I bet it would be much much less :)[/quote]

Regardless of where we live finding fun , consistanly musicians to play with is extremely hard. And if your looking for consistent gigging with money unless your on the "in" it's just about imposible.

As I've said in the past, if my band folds I will be amongst the ranks of the non-gigging bass players. And for me that will be simply devastating. I have no other interest in life.

Blue

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1509104453' post='3396645']
Never played a gig... Not a proper one anyway.
Getting closer to it now tho!
Same band of school mates that for 20 years has formed and dispersed then reformed and dispersed and... Now finally has the mindset to get some gigs!

Watch this space!

(All the gear...!!!)
[/quote]

Good to hear go for it

I hate to say this. And it's not a bad thing,I say it's more fact.

I've read most of the responses.

Not exactly the answer to the OPs question but can be derived from the responses.

The consensus IMO. gigging is not very important to most and life circumstances certainly trump gigging.

I think gigging a lot, 3-4 times a week is only truely fun for those that have it in their blood, live in an area with a scene that supports viable venues/ places to play and for those who can devote that much time to it.

Plain and simple, regardless of where you live there just aren't as many places for bands to play anymore.

Most have better and more important things to do with their time.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1476705454' post='3156419']

Good drummers and good bass players are in short supply.[/quote]

In my area, we have a lot of drummers & bass players and they're in high demand. But only for "for fun" non-gigging opportunities.

Blue

Edited by blue

I haven't gigged for 2 years. I was in 2 bands concurrently and that was great. Then one went on hiatus, then the other. The 2nd one reconvened then they advertised behind my back for my replacement 3 weeks after my father passed away. It's clouded my view of being in a band for a while though I think I'll try properly next year to try and join or form a band. I've just been taking some time out to do my own stuff. Then I'll have the fun of finding a progressive grunge band.

I think it's also the company we keep.

I've got into it on other threads, but personally I've never worried about not being in a band, something always turns up sooner or later. Sometimes it's a month or two, sometimes it's a couple of years. I probably worried about it more when i was younger, but experience shows that at some point somebody's going to want a bass player and they'll come and ask me. In fact I've never answered an ad or auditioned for a band - I've either started one or been asked to join.

Which I think is mostly to do with the people i hang out with, which includes a lot of mates that I've been in bands with over the years. Two recent trips to the pub have led to three different "we might need a bass player" conversations, and this after not really playing for a couple of years. They may or may not come off (one looks more likely, given the people involved) but they're all interesting enough and all come about from being in the right place at the right time. You don't have to be the bore in the pub who is forever banging on about wanting to be in a band, it's more spotting the opportunity to say "I'd be up for that" when it arises.

I do appreciate that not everybody will have been in bands for years and if not then you won't have a load of former band mates who know to ask you, so probably you do need to start making contacts. The suggestion to go to a jam night is a very good one, especially if you haven't got the confidence to answer ads. It's not for me personally, but I know a couple of bands that started that way, and people from those bands then went on to others with their new contacts.

My last gig was 8 years ago, it seems to be something of a theme...

Was in a couple of bands in the late 80's/early 90's, did a couple of gigs, joined another band, which then metamorphosed into another band, did a load of gigs with them. When that band imploded, I kind of stepped away from the music scene for a bit, concentrating on life in general and a "proper" career.

During that time, I did a studio recording course, so I picked up a guitar, which then led to writing a bunch of songs, which then led to recording said songs, which then led to another band. Did that for a while, did some recording with the band, got a few gigs out of it.

Had to pack that band in due to having to relocate for work because of the recession, couldn't find anyone who was interested in what I wanted to do, so knocked it on the head for a while. Started looking for a band properly about 3 years back, but everyone wants to do covers around here (not knocking covers, but it just isn't my bag). Finally found people who wanted to do original stuff, but then that band imploded. Tried to get something going from the ashes of that, but that quickly turned into a disaster. Now, it's back on track with a good guitarist & drummer, a good few songs written, just need to get a singer on board now.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1509980224' post='3402990']

I do appreciate that not everybody will have been in bands for years and if not then you won't have a load of former band mates who know to ask you, so probably you do need to start making contacts. The suggestion to go to a jam night is a very good one, especially if you haven't got the confidence to answer ads. It's not for me personally, but I know a couple of bands that started that way, and people from those bands then went on to others with their new contacts.
[/quote]

My whole identify and self worth evolves around being in a reputable known gigging band. I have a hard time when we have a weekend off.

Jam nights, the ones in my area are not for me. The Musicians that attend are the guys that are not in bands and certainly don't have gigs.

It takes years in most cases to keep a band together to the point where people are calling you requesting your band.

Marketing and getting gigs is not easy in any sense. Especially for those that want to gig 2-3 times a week.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509985153' post='3403035']
My whole identify and self worth evolves around being in a reputable known gigging band. I have a hard time when we have a weekend off.

Jam nights, the ones in my area are not for me. The Musicians that attend are the guys that are not in bands and certainly don't have gigs.

It takes years in most cases to keep a band together to the point where people are calling you requesting your band.

Marketing and getting gigs is not easy in any sense. Especially for those that want to gig 2-3 times a week.

Blue
[/quote]

yes, but I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking about finding people to play with for the fun of being in a band and you're talking about finding a band that pays you enough to earn your living. that's a completely separate topic

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1509986718' post='3403059']

yes, but I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking about finding people to play with for the fun of being in a band and you're talking about finding a band that pays you enough to earn your living. that's a completely separate topic[/quote]

I use to think, "what can be hard about merely finding guys to play with just for fun". I've since learned the opposite.

Whether your in it for fun or to gig and make money finding good dependable Musicians to play with is still a huge challenge.

Blue