Why become a member? ×

How many BassChatters have never ever gigged?

thebrig

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1476275787' post='3152899']

In an ideal world, this is true. However, if a song is complete sh*t and involves absolutely not effort on your part, how would you tell between playing 100% your best or 20%, if the result is the same?
[/quote]

I think any experienced good bass player could tell if another bass player was playing below his ability on a song.

Blue

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476267765' post='3152799']
Geek, I do understand your position and certainly didn't set out to upset anyone, it really was just one of those situations where I was reading through BC threads on Sunday afternoon, and I just happened to notice that quite a few people mentioned that they don't gig, or only gig occasionally, so I thought I would just put it out there to see what those people do instead of gigging, because I could be in a situation myself very soon when I wont be able to gig anymore, it really was just an innocent question.

I have to say that when I saw your comment, I was so upset about it that I can honestly say that I was thinking about terminating my membership to BC for fear of upsetting others.
[/quote]

I've seen it go both ways. Some here are pretty critical of those that gig.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476286706' post='3153038']
I think any experienced good bass player could tell if another bass player was playing below his ability on a song.
[/quote]

I am not sure - it depends if they knew how well they played normally. But anyway, its ok, because:

A ) any experienced bass player would understand why someone was playing below their ability on some songs, and
B ) I am not playing for experienced good bass players, I am playing for mostly drunk dancing women.

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1476278178' post='3152950']
I think it's easy to jump to the conclusion here that a "bedroom noodler" is happy to be exactly that.

I would love to gig. I get bored and fed up playing stuff in musical scores. I dream of playing in a band. Bach's Cello stuff is NOT what I want to do. I never did.

On the other hand, what is more sad, playing Bach and developing reading skills, or playing old covers bass lines along with a band on an MP3 who will never notice if I stop as they already have a bass player on the track.

Whatever you reconsider is the answer to that question, I can't get the old Beatles track out of my head; "He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land making all his nowhere plans for nobody".

[b]No, I'm not happy with my lot.[/b] Geek also isn't happy with his lot too on the odd day, same as a few others here. But we have made our bed and we lie in it. As for me I'm craps at playing. I'm getting quite good at fixing basses up though and it makes a good distraction from the playing.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not really upset. I just feel this needs to be clear to some who may make assumptions.

Thank you all for being a great bunch of people.
[/quote]

Is anybody ever happy?
No matter what I do... I always think there's something else I could do that I might like more. I never "arrive" ;)

I started as a guitarist (don't hate me! :P) and all I wanted to do is play a bit of an AC/DC song. That's it. Not even the whole song! :lol:
Then I thought "oh, I could maybe stretch to X"... and X kept moving. And I became an ok bedroom guitarist without pretensions beyond that. I recorded things and I was happy. Then I tried playing with others. Eventually I found some cool people and I enjoyed that. So playing in a band would be cool, who would have thought it? Then I discovered bass... which would be handy to add to my recordings. But as I started to pay more attention to the bass I realised that there were some really cool stuff you could do with a bass (I know, I know)... and the same story: at first I was happy with doing A, but once you do A you think "maybe I would like to try B"... and so on, without implying it's a progression where things are better the further along you go. Each step results in something I enjoy, whether it is playing by myself at home, recording or whatever. That's why I continue: because I enjoy what I'm doing, not because I aspire to some undefined goal. But everytime I change what I do, I think of new things I could do. It never ends. It's teh journey, not the destination. And if someone wants to deride another because they have 1500 gigs under they belt and the other person "just" plays at home for their own enjoyment... let them. There are idiots in any field and if they are so insecure they need to feel better about themselves by putting someone else down, it's really just their own problem and probably best to leave them in their own self-centered world.

Fortunately the vast majority here are not like that. And the OP certainly isn't one of them. Sometimes when someone gets offended it's really just in their head and there's very little we can do about that. We can't go through life double-measuring everything we do or say in case someone may take something the wrong way. It's their job to understand things before getting upset at them. And this is really not a dig at anybody, we all sometimes take things the wrong way at some point. It's just human. We make mistakes. Then hopefully we rectify and move on. Nobody dies and we continue playing ;)

As a bassist (this meaning "some guy holding a bass"), I've just gigged twice, and that was 25 years before I bought my first bass.

After having bought that first one, I bought 15 more basses, and have been a living room warrior ever since, with no definite plans to ever gig; (semicolon!) in fact I think I'll never gig.

What I get out of it? I just love everything bass. I MUST feel and hear what different gear is about.
I tend to dive deeply in any subject matter I have the time for, and bass is amongst those things.

As a keyboard player (classical organ and jazz piano, organ and synth) I had almost a decade of intense gigging, and I don't wish to go back to that. I love gigging, mind, but I hate, hate, HATE the many hours of disconnecting all the gear and putting it into protective cases and the like, and knowing you have to to that kind of work four times for one gig (me never having had the money for a home rig as well as a gig rig).
Of course we're talking 200 lb. organs here, plus electric and electronic pianos and a plethora of synths, and I'm aware that a bass, a class D and two lightweight 112s can be brought to the venue in one walk from the car.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1476290414' post='3153109']

I am not sure - it depends if they knew how well they played normally. But anyway, its ok, because:

A ) any experienced bass player would understand why someone was playing below their ability on some songs, and
B ) I am not playing for experienced good bass players, I am playing for mostly drunk dancing women.
[/quote]

Agreed punters can't tell.However, there's still no good or rational reason to purposely play below your ability because you don't like a particular song.

Blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1476290320' post='3153106']

I have never seen that.
[/quote]

I have, everything from gigging is a waste of time, there's no money in it, to too many long hours.

Well never change people that don't like gigging anymore than you can change those of us that love gigging.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476303085' post='3153249']
I have, everything from gigging is a waste of time, there's no money in it, to too many long hours.
[/quote]

I have never seen that. I have seen people say that they didn't want to gig, or that they didn't want to put the time in, or that they didn't enjoy it, or that there wasn't any / enough money but I haven't seen anyone actually say that gigging itself was a waste of time and noone should do it.
I think some posts depend on how you read them, and as you specifically have a very absolute way of saying something (the 'noone hauls equipment for a gig for free' sort of thing), you probably do see some absolutes thrown back at you just to counteract that.

Most of my life I haven't been gigging. I am now, I am enjoying it, but I don't rely on it for an income luckily, I do something else I love which pays me better than me gigging ever could. More importantly, if I ever had to gig for money, I can't imagine that I would enjoy it that much and would find it pretty frustrating. Sure its good for the emotional outlet, but its not very good as an intellectual outlet. I think I enjoy it because I don't have to rely on it.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1476311060' post='3153329']

I have never seen that. I have seen people say that they didn't want to gig, or that they didn't want to put the time in, or that they didn't enjoy it, or that there wasn't any / enough money but I haven't seen anyone actually say that gigging itself was a waste of time and noone should do it.
I think some posts depend on how you read them, and as you specifically have a very absolute way of saying something (the 'noone hauls equipment for a gig for free' sort of thing), you probably do see some absolutes thrown back at you just to counteract that.

Most of my life I haven't been gigging. I am now, I am enjoying it, but I don't rely on it for an income luckily, I do something else I love which pays me better than me gigging ever could. More importantly, if I ever had to gig for money, I can't imagine that I would enjoy it that much and would find it pretty frustrating. Sure its good for the emotional outlet, but its not very good as an intellectual outlet. I think I enjoy it because I don't have to rely on it.
[/quote]

Interesting, I love it because I do rely on it.

This whole playing bass, rock and roll, band, gigging thing, my history and how I got into it and why I'm so driven by it is quite different vthan most.

Blue

Edited by blue

OK here's my bit. I stopped playing for a decade. Been back for 2 years ish after a hard 20.

5th rehearsal after staring a new band. It took 3 months to get the line up. Now three months later bitching, moaning , and the whole sh*t train. This is the reality of a band. It's hard work and its not for everyone. I know many a musician who just doesn't want to be in a band for that reason.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476302533' post='3153243']
Agreed punters can't tell.However, there's still no good or rational reason to purposely play below your ability because you don't like a particular song.

Blue
[/quote]

Depends on how you view "ability"on bass as well. In most music genres (certainly the ones I have ever played) it's not about how many notes or how fast you play. To me, one of the most important measures of a bass player's ability is how well they keep time and lay down solid foundations for the more "glamorous" members of the band.

If a song is dull, or has an undemanding bassline - I always try my best to play it as solid as possible. Usually a song is in the set for a reason, and as long as the audience enjoy it (and it broadly fits the style of the band) then it has a value. You might even grow to enjoy it if it goes down well!

A good example of this is in one of my old pub R'n'B bands we used to plat Woolly Bully... always went down an absolute storm :)

Back OT - I feel that gigging is PART of being in a band. Not the only part though. Generally, I tend to enjoy a good rehearsal more than a mediocre gig. The feeling of the band coming together and sounding good (even in our own opinions!) is great. A gig with poor sound in an empty room is just a waste of everybody's time IMO. And we do quite a few of them at the moment - the bane of the relatively new original band :unsure:

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1476423968' post='3154101']
OK here's my bit. I stopped playing for a decade. Been back for 2 years ish after a hard 20.

5th rehearsal after staring a new band. It took 3 months to get the line up. Now three months later bitching, moaning , and the whole sh*t train. This is the reality of a band. It's hard work and its not for everyone. I know many a musician who just doesn't want to be in a band for that reason.
[/quote]

the ability to recognise fundamental personality incompatibilities soon, and quit bands or fire people is very useful. I see people stuck on the same unhappy situation again and again and stay just out of inertia.

It is hard work... but we need to help ourselves a little by doing everything possible to find the right people. And even then it won't be all roses!
People, eh? :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476432516' post='3154166']

the ability to recognise fundamental personality incompatibilities soon, and quit bands or fire people is very useful. I see people stuck on the same unhappy situation again and again and stay just out of inertia.

It is hard work... but we need to help ourselves a little by doing everything possible to find the right people. And even then it won't be all roses!
People, eh? :lol:
[/quote]

'Start ups' are really hard work. I know some really good experienced musicians that would work really well in a band situation. Currently Inhave a drummer, singer and myself, the missing piece is a guitarist who is willing to "play anything".

I have a a very loose idea of what we should be playing and I think I need to cement that and present it to the two guys. We then have to modify it. Then we'll be ready to hit the studio wotha guitarist with 30-40 songs already prepared to either chuck or keep.

I'm not sure endless discussions over what we should play are necessary with a group of experiences well motivated people. One huge list of songs that fit the purpose is all that's really needed.

Edited by TimR

I'm always slightly suspicious of musicians who say they can't find a suitable band or other musicians for them to play with. Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere it should be fairly straight forward?

Certainly from my perspective, as a bassist of below average ability, who has very strict rules about what types of music I want to play and who lives in a place that while being a decent size has never really had a serious music scene of the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc. I have never had a problem finding bands or other musicians who want to play music that I like to standard worth bothering with and then get out and gig.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476452185' post='3154456']
I'm always slightly suspicious of musicians who say they can't find a suitable band or other musicians for them to play with. Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere it should be fairly straight forward?

Certainly from my perspective, as a bassist of below average ability, who has very strict rules about what types of music I want to play and who lives in a place that while being a decent size has never really had a serious music scene of the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc. I have never had a problem finding bands or other musicians who want to play music that I like to standard worth bothering with and then get out and gig.
[/quote]

I live fairly much in the middle of nowhere.
I have to travel 20 miles to find a music shop that stocks more than one type of bass strings.
Managed to end up in two bands though.
One is made up of guys from local villages, the other guys are all based about 20 miles away.
They are all easy going, pleasant chaps.
One band is strictly old school country music with regular gigs which satisfies my need to get out and perform.
The other is a rock covers band, still building a set, which satisfies my need to get noisy.
It's just a case of putting yourself out there and being a bit flexible.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476452185' post='3154456']

[/quote]
I must admit to struggling to find a symphonic, blackened death metal band in deepest, darkest Wales. Especially as I don't drive.

I need to play. I love it, but my job means I can't arrange gigs as I'm not sure when I will be away. Because of this, I find I'm not playing the things as much as I would like to. When I'm gigging, I play them all the spare time I get. Im hopping for a change in working conditions soon and hope to get right back into it, as it's my life!

I've never gigged, mainly because I only picked up the bass last Christmas so still learning my craft.

Ultimately, I'd love to give gigging a go - all part of my mid life crisis I guess :D I must admit that since starting down this path, it's felt perfectly right and I wish I'd done it before.