Why become a member? ×

Sorry, how much for a Sadowsky Metro.?

bubinga5

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1476272116' post='3152857']

Well they're totally wrong on that count. For them, it's the cheapest it has been since 1985. $1.22 to the £? How much cheaper do they want? :angry:
[/quote]

It's less expensive than before, but London remains one of the most expensive cities in the world, if you're an American tourist not from LA or new york and are not used to big prices for food, hotels, transport etc. Look at prices in London in 85, and look now. Things have gone up drastically. Their currency may be more valuable, but even with the collapsing pound it's still expensive. Although going by current predictions that will probably change as the pound continues to fall apart, so you may well be right eventually.

So tourist might be encouraged by that.. But then why would you want to visit a country that alongside the rain and wind is now viewed globally as a place that's also unwelcoming to foreigners? You should look at what the global media are saying about the UK and the people who live here, it's not looking good right now..

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476191309' post='3152123']
...be grateful you're not a ... tuba player!
[/quote]

Every single day. Not for nothing is the phrase "She's with the tuba player" one of the rarest ever heard... :D

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1476278869' post='3152963']
And don't forget that all that Chinese etc gear is paid for in US Dollars, so is subject to the same vagaries of exchange rate shenanigans as US or European stuff, be it basses, smartphones or tvs.
[/quote]

I didn't know that, i guess those chinese Squiers will also become unaffordable to most people then. Great times. What's actually 100% produced in the U.K.? I don't mean just musical instruments, but anything? What 'Consumer products' are 100% designed, sourced & manufactured here? What's going to be more affordable?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1476111539' post='3151397']

Tanglewood is about as big as they get here.
[/quote] Does Tanglewood actually make anything in Britain? All the ones I've seen are Asian made "designed in Britain"! LOL
Even if made here the price will rise because there is a big hike coming in the price of fuel (has to be bought in dollars) so costs of distribution will go up and that affect the price of everything. Don't worry "Brexit means Brexit" and Britain is heading in the direction of being an overpriced third world backwater.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1476289665' post='3153095']
Does Tanglewood actually make anything in Britain? All the ones I've seen are Asian made "designed in Britain"! LOL[/quote]Mr Kiwi may have been talking in terms of his country of domicile, i.e. China.

[quote]Don't worry "Brexit means Brexit" and Britain is heading in the direction of being an overpriced third world backwater.
[/quote]
Ahem. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/293194-sorry-how-much-for-a-sadowsky-metro/page__view__findpost__p__3151648"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__3151648[/url]

I've had a look around and the only 100% british musical instrument seems to be made by a company called 'the great british banjo company'. You can buy a banjo with a union jack on the headstock, which I think will actually make an appropriate replacement for all our instruments, as Britain slowly transforms into a back-water redneck swamp.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE[/media]

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1476278401' post='3152955']
Hahaha ha!
As importers and clever marketing goes, yes![/quote]

Does Tanglewood actually make anything in Britain? All the ones I've seen are Asian made "designed in Britain"! LOL[/quote]

Yeah I was being slightly facaetious. Tanglewood seem (on appearances at least) to be one of the biggest UK based suppliers of guitars but yes most of their stuff is made in China. A percentage though are made in the UK if the video I saw a few years ago is any indication. I can't provide a link unfortunately.

Even if made here the price will rise because there is a big hike coming in the price of fuel (has to be bought in dollars) so costs of distribution will go up and that affect the price of everything.[/quote]
It doesn't take much for distributors in the UK to hike prices up - cost of exotic woods, cost of fuel, cost of oil, value of the pound etc. Can't remember the last time the cost of something went down because of a strong pound or low inflation though. :ph34r:

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1476277511' post='3152940']

It's less expensive than before, but London remains one of the most expensive cities in the world, if you're an American tourist not from LA or new york and are not used to big prices for food, hotels, transport etc. Look at prices in London in 85, and look now. Things have gone up drastically. Their currency may be more valuable, but even with the collapsing pound it's still expensive. Although going by current predictions that will probably change as the pound continues to fall apart, so you may well be right eventually.

So tourist might be encouraged by that.. But then why would you want to visit a country that alongside the rain and wind is now viewed globally as a place that's also unwelcoming to foreigners? You should look at what the global media are saying about the UK and the people who live here, it's not looking good right now..
[/quote]

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1476277511' post='3152940']
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts...I'm here still and a female gig ticket attendant checked my ID and said it was the most Brits she had ever met over the past month. Then made jokes about 'and we thought we had it bad with Trump'.

I've not bothered looking at gear here...exchange rate is too poor.

I have just been advised that the wood I use in my business is going up 10% with immediate effect. Even though they have a stock in the UK at the moment they have been advised that they need to price on replacement basis but with luck doing this now will mean less of a price hike down the road. We'll see, I'm expecting an overall 20% increase unless the pound improves rapidly.

Post Brexit, if we end up with customs tarrifs (and paperwork) it will be worse still. Buy that American bass sooner rather than later.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1476020570' post='3150465']
The Metro is made in Japan, where the cost of living and labour is incredibly expensive. My Metro is as good as any NYC that I've tried, the only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did was a chambered body. In every other respect it compares very well.

(I do also own an NYC S-type guitar. The two are both fantastic)
[/quote]
Agree,my metro feels and looks and sounds amazing but its a ton weight!

Hmmm but nothing has changed except a vote. No conditions changed so some currency houses have deemed the £ must be weak...?? when the economy has defied all the pundits and is much stronger than europe's whose powerhouse is sitting on a banking time bomb and Greece, Spain, Italy AND France have a showdown on the cards pretty soon.

I know which position I would rather be in.

On a wider issue, this may encourage home producers to start up in market conditions that weren't viable a few months ago.

I don't see how we would get poorer producing some home produce--food-- for example, than having to import it.
The idea is that the UK becomes a more attractive exporter and the stronger our economy is..and compared to some, this is the joke...then the £ will rise again.

You could argue on what real basis it should be so valued at this current time anyway...

But as a massive buyer in of goods, no one is liking seeing our ability to buy good diminish in anyway whatsoever.
Ask the Germans...

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1476369332' post='3153713']
i expect the money men are "shorting" the pound

Everyone keep calm, stop reading the loss making guardian, things will be ok once we free ourself from that dying thing (with its ageing population more inclined to save than spend and it's fast reducing proportion of the worlds GDP) called the EEC

And I say that as someone who is old but neither racist or stupid, who lives diversity, travelling to Europe (la plagne skiing shortly to be enjoyed)

Yes my friends we will be better off out

Just you wait and see!
[/quote]

Nooooooooooooo avoid la Plagne and the French maga resorts. whisper it carefully but far better value going to the larger but 'smaller' French resorts.

I'm not a piste skier but how much more than 300kms do you need..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1476369684' post='3153723']

Nooooooooooooo avoid la Plagne and the French maga resorts. whisper it carefully but far better value going to the larger but 'smaller' French resorts.

I'm not a piste skier but how much more than 300kms do you need..??
[/quote]i am doing the catered chalet thingy, £449 all in including flight, transfer, food, wine, accommodation. Chalet right on the piste. And unlike my previous favourite Austria, the pisted are extremely well groomed/pisted.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1476367603' post='3153698']
What model do you have? My MV5 is 9 lbs 2. Not a featherweight but lighter than my previous fives.
[/quote]
Metro vintage 4 with the block fretboard,never weighed it but its way heavier than my old and new Fender stuff.Wide strap saves the day
It's just the quality of tone and sound live.I got compliments immediately from the band and sound guys .

Christ, am I talking to myself? To re-cap:
We had a Brexit thread. It ran, had its 15 minutes, and is now locked. The subject is therefore closed.
We have a longstanding 'avoid politics' policy. It's there for a reason.
I've already asked once (and repeated once) that politics in general and Brexit specifically should be avoided in this thread.
Comments have now been unapproved, as will any more that appear.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1476376705' post='3153811']
Christ, am I talking to myself? To re-cap:
We had a Brexit thread. It ran, had its 15 minutes, and is now locked. The subject is therefore closed.
We have a longstanding 'avoid politics' policy. It's there for a reason.
I've already asked once (and repeated once) that politics in general and Brexit specifically should be avoided in this thread.
Comments have now been unapproved, as will any more that appear.
[/quote]

In that case you need to have a blanket policy of no longer discussing the prices of any musical equipment on the forum, as these day it is completely linked to the current political situation.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476378667' post='3153838']
In that case you need to have a blanket policy of no longer discussing the prices of any musical equipment on the forum, as these day it is completely linked to the current political situation.
[/quote]
I concur. Also, when you hastened to close the original 'B' word thread, you displaced that discussion and made it spill out in to the other parts of the forum. If it original was still there, you could say, "take it to the B-word thread'. I'd very much like the whole situation to go away, then we could resume discussion of the best bass for metal, but it's going to continue to influence all our lives for years to come.

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='jazzmanb' timestamp='1476364135' post='3153664']

Agree,my metro feels and looks and sounds amazing but its a ton weight!
[/quote]

My MV4 is 8.5lb, I'm one of the lucky ones! Also it's the sleeker shape, not the Ultra Vintage. Ash body, maple neck