Why become a member? ×

Stainless Steels - is it just me?

Funky Dunky

It's just me, isn't it?

When I started playing bass, I found that Stainless Steels were too zingy and created too much unwanted handling noise. So I switched to Nickels. Softer. Quieter. Less zing. All good.

But then.......I grew dissatisfied with the Nickels. They appeared not to EQ well. They weren't great for slap. So I went back to SS......and a brand new pack arrived today, I put them on my bass and they looked and felt cruddy. Sticky (not as in gluey, just...not slick).

Now, this is the second set in a month to do this. First was a set of Fat Beams. Today it's Dunlops. Same apparent issue with both?

Is it just because I'm used to Nickels, which are smoother and shinier out of the pack? Are Stainless Steels typically a completely different feel? They feel so lifeless by comparison.

They are, aren't they? It's just me, isn't it?

Edited by Funky Dunky

I hear you!

I'm the same. I only used stainless steel roundwound strings up until about a year or so ago, and randomly bought some nickels as I needed some strings and couldn't find my usuals. Initially I wasn't so sure, but I got really used to them and found them less sticky/coarse to touch, less noisy and generally warmer and, well, better sounding.

I only use nickel roundwounds now, and I prefer them to stainless steels. Tho I did use a nearly new set of steels for a mate's spare bass I've been setting up, and in fairness they do sound and play well - especially now the new stickiness has worn off them.

I think some steels are rougher than others, but generally nickels do feel softer.

Edited by bassbiscuits

I definitely think that steels can be 'grippier' (is that a word?).

As in they feel a bit rougher, are more resistant to slides and generate more noise from your fretting hand.

But they do have more of the bright zingy sound characteristics I love for a clean & punchy tone.

Edited by Cato

Give steels a while. I don't like steels straight out of the box. I always bang on about DR strings. But I put a fresh set on my Jazz bass and the tacky feel of new steel strings is obvious and I don't like it! Played the bass for an hour straight. Just WOW. The strings came alive. Yes I am a DR fanboy

Edited by bubinga5

If you're using Dunlop steels, they feel lifeless because they're cr4p strings. I put a set on and found them duller than their nickels (which are decent)!

Dunlop Super Bright, or the Marcus Miller set, is another story though. Very lively, and the lowest tension I've ever seen in a string, which makes for effortless slap etc. But they took a long time to break in until I was happy with the tone, they sounded far too thin and clanky at first.

Edited by dannybuoy

I've found D'Daddario EXL165s to be good - they are nickels, but they're bright as well as warm, and they settle down nicely. Had them on all my basses at one point, tho most of them have flats on at the moment.

I've just swapped the steels that came with my Lull (look like D'addarios) for some nearly-new nickels to rein in the sparkling twang and give it a bit more soft warmth.

I prefer nickels. Feel, sound and ready to gig nice and quick. You dont need to "play em in" so much. (Rotosound cheap end)
If like me you like new strings on gigs, these settle down quickly and stay in tune pretty good. They don't have that "grabby" feel that SS do so its one less distraction to worry about.
So little time and so many possibilities available and on average only 1-2 gigs a week to try and suss out what works best...........

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1475823559' post='3148933']
If you're using Dunlop steels, they feel lifeless because they're cr4p strings. I put a set on and found them duller than their nickels (which are decent)!

Dunlop Super Bright, or the Marcus Miller set, is another story though. Very lively, and the lowest tension I've ever seen in a string, which makes for effortless slap etc. But they took a long time to break in until I was happy with the tone, they sounded far too thin and clanky at first.
[/quote]

I'll agree with you Super Brights. Simply the best strings for slap I've played. I just wish they did a slightly higher gauge, as you need a crazy featherlight touch for plucking, imo, or else you get all kinds of movement.

It did occur to me that Dunlop SS may just be crap - the Fat Beams I tried settled in and smoothed out quickly. These Dunlops, though - oh dear - I feel like they're scrap metal. They DON'T feel like a quality string. I almost want to send them back and seek a refund. I will never buy cheap strings again.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1475818721' post='3148918']
I use a bit of FastFret to smooth out new strings. Keeps them sounding fresh for longer too.
[/quote]

This. I cant say I've really been precious about what brands or types of strings Ive used over the years, any medium steels will do me, but as a habit I always fire on a bit of fast fret. Its probably counterproductive, but to my ears (and fingers) it levels the playing field out a bit between the different brands. I much prefer the feel of older strings anyway, When I was gigging heavily I could easily go 6 months without changing.

If it's a choice between nickels and steels, I prefer steels because I find nickels a bit tonally unfocused and 'boingy', for my playing style anyway, but nickels do feel better. I would recommend trying HiBeams because they feel much nicer to the touch and they retain their tone even when they're very old. The zinginess, not so much, but that disappears after a couple of days with any strings I've tried.

Never used to like Steels on bass, was always a huge fan of Nickel's, but came back to Steels a good few years ago, and won't play anything else now.

As for guitar strings, it's Nickel's everytime.

Edited by Skybone

Anyone tried the dean markley blue steel stainless strings? I tried them in my spector a while back and was pretty impressed. I had been using rotosound ss rounds for year, the markleys were similar but seemed to stay livelier a bit longer.
I use slinky's on my music man basses and love them, but have been rethinking what to use on the next change on my fenders!

For steel strings, I usually go for Warwick EMP coated strings - they have a nice "thump" to them with a strong fundamental and fewer harmonics. Otherwise I use DR Silver Stars (coated nickel), except for my EBMM Sterling where I use Ernie Ball hybrid Slinkies.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1475965447' post='3150188']
Anyone tried the dean markley blue steel stainless strings? I tried them in my spector a while back and was pretty impressed. I had been using rotosound ss rounds for year, the markleys were similar but seemed to stay livelier a bit longer.
I use slinky's on my music man basses and love them, but have been rethinking what to use on the next change on my fenders!
[/quote]
I tried the Blue Steels on the SR5 because my guitarists love them. Terrible! Very poor tonal balance between strings. One string (can't remember which, I think it was E) died within 3 weeks.
As always ymmv