Why become a member? ×

Stainless Steels - is it just me?

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1475965447' post='3150188']
Anyone tried the dean markley blue steel stainless strings? I tried them in my spector a while back and was pretty impressed. I had been using rotosound ss rounds for year, the markleys were similar but seemed to stay livelier a bit longer.
I use slinky's on my music man basses and love them, but have been rethinking what to use on the next change on my fenders!
[/quote]

Yes I tried a set, the hybrids where it`s 50 - 105. Not bad, prefer the tone of Rotos but these are close. I have them on my home use Precision as hopfefully they`ll last a fair while (write-ups seem to indicate they have a failry long life-span).

I have always found DR Hi Beams to be the ultimate string for me. Long lasting, feel great and sound amazing.

I have however, just tried a new string. Additional tension and still great sounding and feel great - but just a bit more ridgid and an even stronger B.

It's DR Lo Riders!

SS for me, i've used Nickel in the past but after moving on to SS they sound "dull" to me now. I love the brightness and punch of SS. It's true that they're a bit too harsh on the finger on the first use but, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, after +/- one hour playing they become as smooth as any Nickel set.

In my case i'm using D'Addario Prosteels for the past 2-3 years and just tried the new Flexsteels. Both are great and durable (in my standards that are about 2-3 months per set, even though i know that when i find that my strings are dead most bass players will find they sound like brand new Nickels for their taste).

I've used D'Adarrio nickels for years (well Fenders actually, which are rebadged D'addarios, and cheaper) but last time I bought strings my local shop did me a good price on some Dunlop Marcus Miller stainless jobs, so I decided to give them a go. First thing, the G string broke when I was stretching it after putting it on, never had that on any string before-the shop gave me a replacement, so I persevered. Normally a set of nickels don't last more than a couple of gigs, but these have been on for months now and have yet to lose their zing, so on that count I'm quite impressed-not sure I'd buy another set after the breaking issue though.

Always bought rotos until about this time last year. TBH I didn't know the difference from one string to another.

Then one day I [b][i]needed [/i][/b]strings. Called into my local music shop and all they had was a set of picato 40-100. Not ideal I thought, but needs must. Put them on and thought - 'oh' these [i]feel [/i]nice. Looked at the packet and there you go, Nickel Wound. Eyes opened.

Went on a quest after that and have arrived at Dunlop Super Bright Nickels, 45-105. Very low tension, feel great under fingers (fretting and plucking hand) and really do last ages. Ever get that feeling like the bass is fighting you back? I don't any more...string-wise, they're all I'm buying for now..

EDIT: YMMV!

Edited by LewisK1975

I'm not a fan whatsoever of nickels (although I did use them on my Modulus Flea). Even out of the packet, they just feel dead and lifeless. As Ghost Bass mentioned above, fresh, they sound like steels do when it's time to change them. I love the harmonic richness, punch and detail of steels although they can vary massively on feel. D'Addario Prosteels and Flexsteels feel relatively smooth to me, whereas Rotosounds are horrendously grabby (almost tacky) and harsh. IMO, YMMV and all that.

Edited by 40hz