Why become a member? ×

Opinions needed

JamesBass

So my band are booked to play an engagement party of Friday night, 2 x 45 mins with a half hour break, fee all agreed etc. So today I've been told that the couple are now trying to book a singer, who sings to backing track to play in the half hour break, apparently the singer will need to use our PA and mics etc.

Now I'm not exactly happy about this, we are being paid two fees, one from the venue as we are playing in the pub rather than in a function room and they needed/wanted a band for that night anyway, and we are getting a fee from the couple. Our fees aren't exactly astronomical roughly £350 total, it's our first function gig as a band so we've charged less than an ideal rate to cut our teeth and get a foot in the door etc.

What does the board reckon to this? Personally I feel offended that they are looking to book an act to play between our sets, and I'm definitely not happy to let her loose on our PA.

I don't see a real problem. She will probably just need one mic and a line in for her backing source. Main thing is to tell her you will set up her levels so there is no danger of her using the equipment wrongly.

I used to be a solo singer and did many weddings with bands using their gear. I did always speak to them first though.
If her performance adds to the atmosphere of the night then it's good all round.

My honest view is that it's their party they can book who they want. If a dj played music would you be offended by that?

The sound person will know all your settings so not an issue but it is courtesy to ask if they want to use your PA rather than just to assume it's okay.

Ultimately you are a service provider and you have agreed to you slot / fee. The PA use should be discussed.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1472389187' post='3120716']
So my band are booked to play an engagement party of Friday night, 2 x 45 mins with a half hour break, fee all agreed etc. So today I've been told that the couple are now trying to book a singer, who sings to backing track to play in the half hour break, apparently the singer will need to use our PA and mics etc.

Now I'm not exactly happy about this, we are being paid two fees, one from the venue as we are playing in the pub rather than in a function room and they needed/wanted a band for that night anyway, and we are getting a fee from the couple. Our fees aren't exactly astronomical roughly £350 total, it's our first function gig as a band so we've charged less than an ideal rate to cut our teeth and get a foot in the door etc.

What does the board reckon to this? Personally I feel offended that they are looking to book an act to play between our sets, and I'm definitely not happy to let her loose on our PA.
[/quote]

They cannot offer the singer the use of your equipment before asking you. It's not theirs to offer. I'd be annoyed too. I might be tempted to ask for a low 'rental fee' to make a point. But it really depends on what rapport we have with them. I'd insist on us operating the PA: I would not like someone let loose on the mixer twiddling things (so many clueless people...) that you've set up to work for your band.

Never know, the singer may get you some work at some time in the future. "Hey Mrs singer, fancy playing at our party ? Don't suppose you know of a band to play too do you ?".

It's a microphone they're going to use, that's all. Most singers that I know, generally always use their own mic anyway, they're funny about them.

Edited by ambient

I'd concur with the above really - it's cheeky to book her without checking about the PA use, although I'd imagine that's just a lack of knowledge from the happy couple about how bands and PAs all fit together.

Offeneded ? No, it's just some quiet music to change the pace for a while, not to compete with the band. It's their do and they're just indulging themselves a little, so if it's a bit hotch-potch then so be it :)

Do feel free to roll your eyes gently with a rye smile, of course.

Edited by ahpook

If I was getting hitched and booking a band I'd be concerned about the party going cold in the break. So booking a "filler" seems logical to me.

The OP reads as if you're hearing it second-hand from another band member. So before getting excited about this, it's possible they did "ask". It's possible it's only a matter or how your mate phrased the matter when he told you.

Functions are like this, they usually pay better but they are more hassle. You usually end up offering mics for speeches for Uncle Albert to do a 'turn' or you may be asked to provide a background playlist for the break. the people booking you are usually good people but have no experience of working with bands. Yes they should have asked but if they have transgressed then it's probably just because they don't know the system or as suggested that a polite request got lost in the Chinese whispers of it getting to you. It's no real biggy to provide one mic and tweak a knob or two as you have the PA there anyway. It'd be more hassle if she brought her own PA. £350 sounds like a good sum for a first gig. Relax

In my experience, it's worth being as accommodating as possible unless there's a real cost to you or a risk to your equipment. It's a shame you weren't asked before but if you show willing to do everything to make the event special then the chances are that the reputational benefits will come back to you. Particularly if you are trying to get a foot in the functions door. There have been many times where we've got bookings from guests, friends, relatives of the original client and it's as often from how we are to deal with as how we perform. Of course you don't want to be taken for a ride but you should be able to get a win from this I would think.

I'm the one handling all the bookings and managing the band, it was a direct conversation between me and the couple, so nothing's been lost in translation. They've just rang again and apparently said singer was on the X factor and wants longer than half hour, cause she has a name that's established, giving her more than half hour would cut our set time down or mean we'd have to start earlier, something that's not possible as the couple are doing a meal first followed by the music and drinks etc.

hmm... depends how you perceive it all.... but if it wasn't what we wanted to do, I'd pull out of the gig.
£350 is no real fee to worry about -if you don't do it-... and if this person has a name and wants to look after it then they should be talking direct to you.
If they are also being paid more..etc etc... they can pay a hire fee for the P.A.

From this distance I can't sense what is really going on but anyone who pays £350 for a band for a function, well, they seem to be doing things on the cheap.

:lol: you might now be the support act..

I`d only be bothered by the lack of courtesy here. The people who`ve done the hiring should have checked it was ok to use your PA. No problems about going on inbetween sets, their evening, they can arrange the acts as they like, but they really should have asked if it was ok for use of the PA. Given that the singer is apparently a professional with a bigger name, I`d make the enquiry "so it`s ok for us to use her PA then, seeing as she`s a professional I`m assuming her gear is better than ours".

Lots of flexibility and patience is needed for wedding and other function gigs.

You'll arrange everything down to the minutest detail weeks in advance, then on the day the bride will change her mind about something. You'll need to be able to just accept that, and to be able to be flexible.

Playing times, set lengths, where you set up, the times you set up, they can and invariably will change, often on the day.

Just grit your teeth sometimes, smile and enjoy the occasion.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1472389187' post='3120716']
[/quote]

AND you're getting paid twice? Sorry, I don't understand what bothers you other than the use of your equipment. Unless you propose to hire it out, what do you do? I suppose in your position I'd look at it as doing a fellow musician a favour and booking a good seat for myself in life's big theatre of Karma (or at least enrich my reputation locally).

Probably just me.

The other thing here is that the couple have got the band cheap..... pub money for a function,
The pub must be putting up £250-ish.... so this couple have a lot to say for a £100.... plus they've 'hired' out the P.A to another act... AND I have the distinct impression they are paying the solo more.....??

Bad form to book a band for a pub gig and then turn it into a function gig.

I get that the band is keen to do the gig etc etc ?? hmmmm

With functions you have to be flexible otherwise don't do them. Joe public have no idea how a PA works so they wouldn't think of needing to ask. As for people saying to pull out is very harsh. This is a couples big night and to ruin it because of their naivety is wrong.

Let her use your PA, whilst you remain in control of it so no damage can be done. Point out you're
doing this as a special favour and the booker(s) will think you're great.
We always used to keep a cheapish mic and long lead for speeches and guest vocalists, although
it always pees me off that often singers can't even bring their own. I think mics are a very personal
item, and never ask to borrow one or lend mine out.

I used to get pissed about stuff like this with the other singer and that she's using your PA. However my experience has taught me that minor stuff like that isn't worth worrying about.

However, I am concerned about that $350.00. I understand you want to get your foot in the door.

It's still way too much of a bargain. It sounds like a $600.00 gig to me.

Blue

Edited by blue