Why become a member? ×

Bass Player wanted. blah blah.

bubinga5

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472506097' post='3121729']
I signed on to play bass guitar and sing backing vocals. I did not sign on for management responsibility. We have a BL for that.
[/quote]

There is a lot to be said for this. I'd imagine that fitting in is better than trying to do a bit of everything and perhaps not managing to deliver the best in any of the roles adopted. If the band already has an identity, it could be counter productive to behave otherwise.

I play in bands that have a band leader. A guy who has his vision and wants to lead and run his own band.

Very few of them are dictatorial to the point that you can't make suggestions but somebody else does have a veto and will make the final decision. That's fine, if they can produce the goods, which is a good set, a conveyor belt of good gigs and an audience. Most of the guys I play with do all of that. I'm good at what I do, but I'm not a hustler, I need someone else to do that but they need guys like me to do what I do.

The bands I play with are not a bunch of mates having fun, but we are all playing good music with good people and we're gigging and earning. All important ingredients for me as a bass player.

Getting back on topic. . . . you could probably put together an ad for what I do that would be equally as prescriptive as the ones Bub5 is complaining about.

As a musician/bass player, I would hope that 'must be able to read chord charts' and 'good musical communication skills' should be pretty much a given.

Then it's just a matter of refining the image of the bass player you're looking for.

I can't imagine someone with exactly the right image is going to be able to learn the songs ready for an audition if they can't actually play bass.

I suppose it really depends on how prescriptive the image is and whether the person writing the advert is being too rigid. Does a metal band actually need players to have long hair? Isn't that a bit 80s? Maybe in an 80s hair metal tribute band it's quite important, otherwise hair is completely irrelevant. Black bass? Possibly, if that's the look, black basses aren't hard to find. Black shoes, trousers, tie and white shirt is a bit predicatable now for function bands. They were wearing that in the early 2000s and it's quite passé really. Shows a lack of imagination AFAIAC. .

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1472482877' post='3121458']
Not everyone can read chord charts but likewise, not everyone can be cool. Those who say image doesn't matter generally look like crap.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

IME if it is necessary to be able to read a chord chart, it can be taught, but people who have no idea about image generally never will, and even if they can be persuaded to dress appropriately, generally look mighty uncomfortable in their "stage gear". Sometime it's easier not to bother with these.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1472466060' post='3121239']
If this is in reply to my post, what i meant was a band with no gigs. Really just starting out as in a couple of songs, and trying to get a full band together. I agree with the rest.
[/quote]

:lol: I always think a band starting out has gigs..just not as many of them.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1472579083' post='3122328']

Absolutely.

IME if it is necessary to be able to read a chord chart, it can be taught, but people who have no idea about image generally never will, and even if they can be persuaded to dress appropriately generally look might uncomfortable in their "stage gear". Sometime it's easier not to bother with these.
[/quote]

I agree to a certain extent. We had a guitarist who couldn't even look smart in a suit.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472519115' post='3121806']
And I don't know if you know that I'm 63 and have no interest whatsoever in band management.
[/quote]
I suspect that by now there are hitherto undiscovered tribes hidden away in the depths of the Papua New Guinea rainforests who know this. :lol:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1472418844' post='3121033']

As for you not having a say after 5 years. Either you don't speak up or they don't value your oppinion. That doesn't sound like a good situation to be in. I firmly believe a good band is a band that works together and all members have a say. My band is like that, although I'm the most pushy so it's normally me that makes suggestions.
[/quote]

Dave, I'm 63 and I have no interest in having a say. I trust the decisions of our BL. It's a great situation for me.

We have one decision maker, our BL and that's the way I prefer a band to be run.

Personally , I'm not into the " everybody has a say" protocol.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472614383' post='3122599']

Dave, I'm 63 and I have no interest in having a say.
[/quote]

Have you had a Birthday recently? I could have sworn you were 62 last time it came up.

If so many happy returns.

Its useful to get a sense of a band before going for an audition in terms of ages, level of commitment and musical influences. Colour or length of hair seems a bit OTT. We live in an image/brand world these days so kids specifying hair/guitar colour is probably very normal for them.

I've been searching for an ad that says "grumpy middle aged bass player into wearing his wifes undies". Alas, this has not surfaced yet.

In the pro world image is everything in many genres. I know a bass player who was fired because the new manager thought he was too ugly and a guitarist who was fired because he was "too fat". The bass player had character and the guitarist did wobble a bit in the solo's. Both were fantastic players but they failed the physical. It has been like this since forever.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1472368184' post='3120551']
Seen various adverts for basses wanted etc. Always makes me laugh. Oh must be between 20 to 30, must play a black pbass, must not wear trainers, must have a stylish haircut. Etc etc, Blah blah. The sort of band I would never be interested in. Where's the, must be able read chord charts, must have good musical communication skills,etc etc. Rant over.
[/quote]

If it's the sort of band you'd never be interested in, what's the problem?

I realise that your "rant" isn't entirely serious, but IME there's a lot more to being in a band than simply being able to play your chosen instrument competently. When it's so easy these days to put up and answer on-line musicians wanted ads these conditions help to weed out the people who wouldn't be suitable for the band. If band image is important you don't want someone who doesn't fit that image no matter how well they can play, and IME it's much easier to find someone who looks the part as they will most likely be interested in the music and be prepared to put in the work required getting their musical skills up to the required standard if necessary, whereas from personal experience trying to persuade someone who doesn't understand image that they need to get a suitable haircut/shave off their beard/wear some appropriate clothes is generally a futile exercise.

I never have a problem with "image" ads - the chances are that if I'm not able to fit the image then I'm unlikely to be into the music. There's plenty of bands looking for bass players, and if the ad I'm currently looking at isn't right for me, one that is will be along shortly.

I remember reading an interview with Guy Pratt and he said he got the gig with Gilmour's Pink Floyd because he made them laugh (even though there were probably better bass players available). Having listened to Floyd's "Final Cut" once I imagine that Roger Waters was a bit short on laughs and that Guy was a little ray of sunshine.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1472631964' post='3122699']
I am surprised no-one has mentioned ageism by name in this discussion. In the front-line of "the business", live performance, isn't ageism actually an integral and dare I say necessary part of the job? It seems folk are afraid of the word in these PC times.
[/quote]

In the States let's say one of our high in demand functions band has an opening for bass player. Let's say they're in their 30s.

Even the 60 year old that nails the audition will lose to a 30 year old with marginal playing and singing abilities.

Yes, age discrimination is out there and nothing much we can do about it.

Blue