Why become a member? ×

Do you use manufacturer strings on your bass?

darkandrew

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1472050803' post='3118027']

I used to have a summer job in a cannery.

We made beans for a couple of supermarkets as well as a couple of well known brands, though they all came from the same factory, the recipes and manufacturing instructions were actually all slightly different.

Maybe it's the same with strings?
[/quote]

The wonders of this forum and the people you meet on it never cease to amaze me. Funnily enough, I've fretted about the baked bean conundrum more than the string enigma... I've even thought about putting together a factory/bean family tree. It's bean night tonight and I'll be comparing Branston vs Sainsbury's own.... the Branston's went a bit iffy a few months ago.

Anyway... I won't derail the thread any more.

I get mine custom wound at Newtone and these are the best strings for me, and I've used loads of makes and certainly all the usual suspects.

2nd best set were Ken Smiths but yes I'm sure plenty of people get them made by a string factory and just re-badge them.

My big thing is the quality of the metal used and this is pretty critical when re-using them a few time, IME

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1472056088' post='3118084']
It's bean night tonight and I'll be comparing Branston vs Sainsbury's own.... the Branston's went a bit iffy a few months ago.

Anyway... I won't derail the thread any more.
[/quote]

...and nobody light a match for a bit.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472063783' post='3118164']
I get mine custom wound at Newtone
[/quote]

Newtone are fairly local to me and I've had a set of DBEs off of them. Quite satisfied with them as the chappie measured up for them and the taper on the B is just so. At the time I wasn't going to order off the 'net because I wanted to see which would be quicker, custom made or wait for one of the Derby big boys to get them in. Newtone won by a couple of weeks! Scandalous.

Some interesting replies here ... I've always assumed that most manufacturer branded strings are repackaged versions of other strings, whether this is true or not I don't know.

The reason I asked the original question was because I was in the process of buying a EBMM Sterling and the previous owner had said that he had just strung it with a new set of EB Slinkies. Usually, the first thing I do when I get a new bass is to throw a set of DR Black Beauties or Silver Stars on it (depending on the colour) but I thought that this time I'd give the original strings a chance.

Fender strings are made by D'Addario.

Most bass manufacturers do not make their own strings. They buy them in from string manufacturers.

Lakland from GHS.

Sadowsky from La Bella.

Etc.

There was a long thread about this some years ago.

Here we go: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171152-who-makes-which-strings"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171152-who-makes-which-strings[/url]

Of course, even if a string manufacturer is making strings for your bass manufacturer, the bass manufacturer will have asked for a string with certain characteristics.

Hence, a Fender string is made by D'Addario to Fender's specification.

Edited by EssentialTension

I recently had EB strings on my Ray after getting the frets dressed and a setup done at Mansons. I was quite impressed with them and would consider getting them again.
I also recently bought a new Sterling Sub that I guess had EB strings which also sound fine.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1472074018' post='3118355']
No, I don`t, I`ve tried many different string brands and only Rotosound Steel Rounds give me the tone I`m looking for.
[/quote]
And for me Rotosounds are one of very few brands I'd rather avoid,I had a free set with my jazz five and couldn't wait for them to die, being Rotos that was one gig :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1472116836' post='3118593']
And for me Rotosounds are one of very few brands I'd rather avoid,I had a free set with my jazz five and couldn't wait for them to die, being Rotos that was one gig :lol:
[/quote]

That is one of the downsides to them Pete, I get about 3 or 4 gigs from a set of Rotos max.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1472050803' post='3118027']
I used to have a summer job in a cannery.

We made beans for a couple of supermarkets as well as a couple of well known brands, though they all came from the same factory, the recipes and manufacturing instructions were actually all slightly different.

Maybe it's the same with strings?
[/quote]

In some cases, yes it certainly is! Building to a different 'recipe'.

Another manufacturer that does similar is Eminence who make speakers for a lot of companies building speaker cabinets, however there will be such a difference between one 10" bass speaker verses another that they will be incompatible in the same cabinet despite being visually the same to the casual viewer.

Edited by dood