Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stone's "greatest drummers" list

Rich

[url="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-drummers-of-all-time-20160331"]Predictably, it's complete bollocks[/url], like all lists of this type. Good for a laugh if nothing else.

this is more of a 'drummers in successfully bands list', in most bands the drummer is just lucky to get in with other talented musicians (like Ringo), there are a few exceptions, but how many drummers write the songs for instance? a few but not many, it's like the old joke 'what do you call someone who hangs around with musicians'

Nice to see drummers like Roger Hawkins and Hal Blaine getting some recognition. Must be recent documentaries gaining them some credit because not so long ago they were pretty much forgotten, which is ludicrous considering some of the records they've made.

I can't go through the whole list.

I'm not really sure why Ahmir from Quest Love or Steve Jordan is even on the list.Nice to see Greg Errico (Original drummer for Sly & The Family Stone) made it.

If Buddy Rich is not in the top 5, The list is not credible as far as I'm concerned.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1468199954' post='3089210']
I can't go through the whole list.

I'm not really sure why Ahmir from Quest Love or Steve Jordan is even on the list.Nice to see Greg Errico (Original drummer for Sly & The Family Stone) made it.

If Buddy Rich is not in the top 5, The list is not credible as far as I'm concerned.

Blue
[/quote]

Both Questlove and Steve Jordan fully deserve to be on the list, they're exceptional drummers.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1468142178' post='3088773']
I was a bit embarrassed at how many drummers I had never heard of, given that drummers are rather important to us bass players!
[/quote]

+1 to that but I bet our drummers couldn't name any bass players either! :lol:

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1468224954' post='3089277']
He`s dead isnt he?

OOPS! For some reason I thought this was a "living drummers" list.....

And yep the list is about as useful as most of them are! ;)
[/quote]

Buddy is gone, but he should still be high up on the list.

Buddy can out play many of those guys dead or a live. I'm pretty sure Buddy would agree.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1468280424' post='3089872']
Buddy is gone, but he should still be high up on the list.

Buddy can out play many of those guys dead or a live. I'm pretty sure Buddy would agree.

Blue
[/quote]

... and I'm pretty sure that, with his legendary humility so often found amongst the 'greats', he'd bow to the superior relevance of Meg White's contribution to drumming history. More folks have heard of, listened to and danced the night away to 'Seven Nation Army' than to the whole of Mr. Rich's career. Such is Show Business. :mellow:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1468280424' post='3089872']
[/quote]
Oh yes, I'm sure he would. He was his own biggest fan, after all.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1468281567' post='3089879']
... and I'm pretty sure that, with his legendary humility so often found amongst the 'greats', he'd bow to the superior relevance of Meg White's contribution to drumming history. More folks have heard of, listened to and danced the night away to 'Seven Nation Army' than to the whole of Mr. Rich's career. Such is Show Business. :mellow:
[/quote]

If that's the criterion (and I'm not disputing its validity) then I'd venture that more people on the planet will have heard of Ringo. Just sayin' :)

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1468263911' post='3089726']
I really like Jordan's work with the John Mayer trio - and having Pino in the mix is not too bad either! :D

Here's a short film about them: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yjBwxa5fEE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=2yjBwxa5fEE[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for posting, hadn't seen that! I'm excited that John Mayer Trio 2 is in the works, would love to see that line up live!

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1468329486' post='3090162']
If that's the criterion (and I'm not disputing its validity) then I'd venture that more people on the planet will have heard of Ringo. Just sayin' :)
[/quote]

Are you sure..? :huh:

Being primarily a drummer I can safely say the bottom 60 is pretty laughable. Many I rate highly are among the top 40 but the order is largely arse about tit while there are still too many baffling choices. To put Bonham, Moon, Watts and Starr above jazz greats like Rich and Krupa is taking the piss. I tend to prefer jazz, fusion and funk drummers but there are many non-listed metal/hard rock drummers who could kick the collective arse of most rock players on this list e.g. Simon Phillips, Scott Travis, Brann Dailor, Brian Downey, Mike Portnoy, Vinnie Paul, Charlie Benante and Stephen Perkins,

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1468332569' post='3090192']
Being primarily a drummer I can safely say the bottom 60 is pretty laughable. Many I rate highly are among the top 40 but the order is largely arse about tit while there are still too many baffling choices. To put Bonham, Moon, Watts and Starr above jazz greats like Rich and Krupa is taking the piss. I tend to prefer jazz, fusion and funk drummers but there are many non-listed metal/hard rock drummers who could kick the collective arse of most rock players on this list e.g. Simon Phillips, Scott Travis, Brann Dailor, Brian Downey, Mike Portnoy, Vinnie Paul, Charlie Benante and Stephen Perkins,
[/quote]

+1 for Simon Phillips - I was a massive Toyah fan in the 80's and even today The Changeling is one of my favourite albums.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1468331419' post='3090180']
Cheers for posting, hadn't seen that! I'm excited that John Mayer Trio 2 is in the works, would love to see that line up live!
[/quote]

I hadn't heard about Trio 2 - would also love to see them live. Thanks for the heads-up.