Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1470320939' post='3105110']
I had to put quite a bit of tension into my trussrod over a couple of days to get it right bit no other set up issues. 1.25 mm seems an extremely low action. At what fret was that measured?
[/quote]

Yeah, I have 2.5mm on the E at the 12th.

1.25mm sounds like it would be buzzy with my cack handed technique

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1470314589' post='3105026']
I've only tuned mine once and it's been perfect. No setup at all. Bit of fret but I can live with it.
[/quote]

We know you have a good one, you lucky boy! A couple had to get out in a sellable condition ;)

1.25 was at 12th fret with a capo on the first fret.
It was around 1.5 at last fret.
No buzz at all, neck was very good and same for the fret work. It just had a poor setup...
The pickup alignment issue could be solved by simply taking the pickup off and reinstalling it properly. I didn't do it because I had already decided to give it back for the aforementioned reason, buying an AVRI 64 jazz.
It went back to Coda-Music.

Spent some time following the 'John Carruthers' set up videos with this bass and then took it to rehearsals.
I've played a few Jazz basses over the years and this one ( set up to my liking) does put a smile on my face.
I actually find the tone shaping a little limited compared to my other JB's but it does a great job of producing a traditional passive tone and the looks, weight (lack of it) and the neck are really growing on me.

Last night, instead of using the Flea both sets, I used it 1st set and returned to my beloved FSR P/J for the second set.
Was quite shocked how much more powerful the Flea pups are :o .
I had to significantly turn up the gain and volume to get back to the sound level I'd had with the Flea in the 1st set.
I really was rather surprised.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1470563835' post='3106693']
Last night, instead of using the Flea both sets, I used it 1st set and returned to my beloved FSR P/J for the second set.
I had to significantly turn up the gain and volume to get back to the sound level I'd had with the Flea in the 1st set.
[/quote]

So when you sell it on Wednesday, which bass will be used in the first set next Saturday?! ;-)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1470563835' post='3106693']
[/quote]

I know what you mean; I had to double check it didn't have a battery in mine!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1470567447' post='3106732']
So when you sell it on Wednesday, which bass will be used in the first set next Saturday?! ;-)
[/quote]

:lol:
[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1470575860' post='3106813']
I know what you mean; I had to double check it didn't have a battery in mine!
[/quote]

:lol:

I've had some really positive comments on my flea bass. Once I cranked the truss rod a little and touched up the intonation it sounds amazing. Feels good in the hands, holds tuning really well, nice and light. Personally I'm not sure the neck is a 'C' but there we go. I've thrown it around on a couple of festivals and I am impressed.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1470652088' post='3107294']
After my gig yesterday afternoon, mine fell over onto the floor, fingerboard side down and because of the reliced finish I don't know if it's mint anymore!!
[/quote]
If you dent a relic bass, does it improve the finish? :lol:

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1471076366' post='3110341']
Well it seems the price of these has 'universally' gone up to £949 - which to me is quite a big jump. I definitely was contemplating getting another, but I don't if I can knowing that the price used to be £70 lower.
[/quote]

That, together with the QC issues littered throughout this thread, should put off most BC'ers I would think!

I don't follow Fender much, but the way they have gone about this bass is frankly odd, from every perspective.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1471079777' post='3110368']
That, together with the QC issues littered throughout this thread, should put off most BC'ers I would think!

I don't follow Fender much, but the way they have gone about this bass is frankly odd, from every perspective.
[/quote]

I think by the looks of it some people here have got an absolute cracking bass at a very good price. Then there are some of us who didn't!

It is a shame because this clearly a very popular bass and Fender could have handled it so much better. They still seem to be selling, so maybe they don't care!!

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1471082616' post='3110393']
I think by the looks of it some people here have got an absolute cracking bass at a very good price. Then there are some of us who didn't!

It is a shame because this clearly a very popular bass and Fender could have handled it so much better. They still seem to be selling, so maybe they don't care!!
[/quote]

I quite fancied one myself and considered selling my (little used) 2008 USA Precision to fund it. I've dithered over this but finally decided to keep the Precision.

Looking at the used value of my P bass and the selling price of the Flea Jazz it doesn't stack up for me. The US bass has a quality case and all the other nice USA features, rolled fingerboard edges, graphite neck rods, excellent hardware and superb fit and finish.

The Flea Jazz seems to vary so much in weight, fit and finish, no case, Mexican built, (I wouldn't care about the MIM thing if they were decently made.) that honestly, I'm put off spending the cash to buy blind online.

Which is a pity because the Flea has a specification that really appeals to me. The reputation they seem to be getting on basschat makes them far less appealing though. :(

Frank.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1471091967' post='3110472']
The price rise is across the board on virtually all products, especially imported products. Boss pedals had a normal price and then a further rise....after Brexit.

Not to bring politics into it, but the price rises are due to our 'decision' to leave the EU.
[/quote]

Partially true. Having worked in Music Retail for a number of years, almost all of the manufacturers have an annual price-hike regardless and Fender are no exception. I very much doubt that the Brexit decision will have had much of an influence on their decision to continue with their incremental price increases but it will obviously affect us additionally because of the Brexit decision.

Just for context, one of the reps from one of the big brands we stock told us that the American Guitar Centre stores sell more of their instruments in a year than ALL of the European retailers - Thomann, GuitarGuitar, Gak etc all combined (and as a result, they get first dibs on almost everything). This is also the reason why some companies like Ibanez have models that are available in the US only (like the Buckeye Burl SC Ibanez model. We only get the Poplar Burl option) . It's not because we can't have it but because the brand and it's distributors often think the volume of sales wont be large enough to justify it.

Europe isn't that big a deal to these companies. Gibson instruments in Europe only make up about 10% of their global market. I imagine bigger brands like Fender are the same.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1471094537' post='3110489']
Partially true. Having worked in Music Retail for a number of years, almost all of the manufacturers have an annual price-hike regardless and Fender are no exception. I very much doubt that the Brexit decision will have had much of an influence on their decision to continue with their incremental price increases but it will obviously affect us additionally because of the Brexit decision.

Just for context, one of the reps from one of the big brands we stock told us that the American Guitar Centre stores sell more of their instruments in a year than ALL of the European retailers - Thomann, GuitarGuitar, Gak etc all combined (and as a result, they get first dibs on almost everything). This is also the reason why some companies like Ibanez have models that are available in the US only (like the Buckeye Burl SC Ibanez model. We only get the Poplar Burl option) . It's not because we can't have it but because the brand and it's distributors often think the volume of sales wont be large enough to justify it.

Europe isn't that big a deal to these companies. Gibson instruments in Europe only make up about 10% of their global market. I imagine bigger brands like Fender are the same.
[/quote]

No i agree, prices have risen as usual this year in line with annual rises, but even stores have announced that the prices will rise/have risen post-Brexit due to the issue with the £. Andertons had a post on their website stating it.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1471104527' post='3110575']
No i agree, prices have risen as usual this year in line with annual rises, but even stores have announced that the prices will rise/have risen post-Brexit due to the issue with the £. Andertons had a post on their website stating it.
[/quote]

I think, for me at least, the price rise is even more noticeable because (the flea bass) was selling for less money for only a short time. Maybe this is due to when this bass became available in the price hike cycle. I haven't been following the $ versus £ exchange rate since brexit, but a few shops I've spoken to have all said that the basses have gone up due to strength of the pound (or lack of it) since brexit. Two shops have said it is costing them more to purchase these basses. I don't know if this is true, but it seems a common reason banded about, rightly, or wrongly.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1471094537' post='3110489']

[/quote]

I fascinated by this as I have no idea about how the market works with regards to musical instruments, so thanks for sharing. Europe is a huge market, so I'm surprised that big companies like Fender don't do better. Maybe it is the whole import costs, that make European made instruments far more competitive?