Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1471089571' post='3110452']
I quite fancied one myself and considered selling my (little used) 2008 USA Precision to fund it. I've dithered over this but finally decided to keep the Precision.

Looking at the used value of my P bass and the selling price of the Flea Jazz it doesn't stack up for me. The US bass has a quality case and all the other nice USA features, rolled fingerboard edges, graphite neck rods, excellent hardware and superb fit and finish.

The Flea Jazz seems to vary so much in weight, fit and finish, no case, Mexican built, (I wouldn't care about the MIM thing if they were decently made.) that honestly, I'm put off spending the cash to buy blind online.

Which is a pity because the Flea has a specification that really appeals to me. The reputation they seem to be getting on basschat makes them far less appealing though. :(

Frank.
[/quote]

Frank, I think you summed this up for me too. I too have dithered terribly over the last few weeks about getting another one of these basses for all the reasons you say. I think if I could get another one at a cheaper price from new (with security of returning it, if it didn't work out) I would. I think the original price was very appealing for so many reason. I think this latest price hike has just tipped the balance for me not to purchase.

I did 3 gigs over Saturday and Sunday with mine. Absolutely fabulous. I even used the bridge pickup (almost on its own, just dialled in a little neck) on 'Two Tribes'.
£ totally different genres of music, from 60's, the Who, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, through 80s/90s stadium rock to Classic rock last night.
This really is a lovely sounding bass. I've not played many basses where the bridge pickup can match the neck so well.

All I can say is, it must be luck of the draw. I've been in shops and noodled around for ages on different basses but I can only really tell after a proper gig, if it will work for me.

I even introduce 'Flea' before the one RHCP song that we do

Hmmm..
I was just about to press go on finance for one of these as I love the look of them and I'd heard nothing but glowing reports on this thread. I felt I should check back in before accepting said finance and I'm quite shocked that there's been problems reported. I just cancelled my application. Can't do it.
Gutted really, but thinking sensibly now I really should play one first before committing to something like that.

Me - 1
Gas - 0

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1471559945' post='3114091']
Hmmm..
I was just about to press go on finance for one of these as I love the look of them and I'd heard nothing but glowing reports on this thread. I felt I should check back in before accepting said finance and I'm quite shocked that there's been problems reported. I just cancelled my application. Can't do it.
Gutted really, but thinking sensibly now I really should play one first before committing to something like that.

Me - 1
Gas - 0
[/quote]

Its a good call, i did the exact same thing. I think this is clearly a bass you need to try before you buy to make sure it is one of the good ones!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1471562263' post='3114105']
Didn't Flea's own brand Flea bass, have QC issues?

Could be the way he likes them :unsure:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

It's certainly how Fender likes it. Low QA time means more profit margin per instrument. These issues simply wouldn't be accepted by distributors or buyers but the association to Flea and them selling out so quickly is covering it.

Edited by Machines

Secret footage received of a Flea Sig being set-up by the master luthier prior to shipping....

http://scontent-cdg2-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/14058957_1717584895158913_1294081932_n.mp4

[size=1]I love this video, for so much more than light hearted humour![/size]

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1471637097' post='3114745']
Secret footage received of a Flea Sig being set-up by the master luthier prior to shipping....

http://scontent-cdg2-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/14058957_1717584895158913_1294081932_n.mp4

[size=1]I love this video, for so much more than light hearted humour![/size]
[/quote]

:) :) :)

I've used mine for 3 gigs now. Sounds great, nice and light, totally replaceable if it walks which my other basses aren't, roadworn so not botherd leaving it stood against amps or getting knocked on the drum kit. The only thing I have noticed is my amp is higher, not sure if that's just because of the different venues we have been playing or the output of the pickups is less than my other roadworn, not had chance to A/B them yet.

Very happy so far, I hope it keeps wearing and breaking in like my other roadworn has.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1471863711' post='3116410']
I've used mine for 3 gigs now. Sounds great, nice and light, totally replaceable if it walks which my other basses aren't, roadworn so not botherd leaving it stood against amps or getting knocked on the drum kit. The only thing I have noticed is my amp is higher, not sure if that's just because of the different venues we have been playing or the output of the pickups is less than my other roadworn, not had chance to A/B them yet.

Very happy so far, I hope it keeps wearing and breaking in like my other roadworn has.
[/quote]

If it's anything like mine, it sounds better as the strings deaden.
I'm now thinking of some flats.
I used it again 3 times over the weekend.
I do love it. I've not had a bass for many years, that I look forward to playing live.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1471863863' post='3116413']
If it's anything like mine, it sounds better as the strings deaden.
I'm now thinking of some flats.
I used it again 3 times over the weekend.
I do love it. I've not had a bass for many years, that I look forward to playing live.
[/quote]

I have flats on my other roadworn and love it, I was thinking of keeping rounds on this one, I don't hate them as much as I remember hating them on my P Bass. I think you should put some flats on yours and let me know how it is before I do it ;)

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1471942874' post='3117078']
I have flats on my other roadworn and love it, I was thinking of keeping rounds on this one, I don't hate them as much as I remember hating them on my P Bass. I think you should put some flats on yours and let me know how it is before I do it ;)
[/quote]

what flats would you like me to try on it for you? :gas:

Recently, I haven't been suffering with GAS at all. Now have both a Fender Roadworn Jazz, and a Roadworn P (which I've had P/J'ed) I think I have the best of each example of a J and a P I've ever played. Sometime back, looking at the Limelight thread, when someone posted a pic of their Limelight J in Shell Pink, I couldn't help but feel that was the best looking bass I'd ever seen.

Now Fender have gone and released this, I'm thinking I can feel the GAS building up again. I've not played one of these, and I don't think any of the shops anywhere near me stock one - probably just as well. I already have waaaaay too many ;)

Thanks to the owners of these for posting reports though - it's good to hear such glowing reports about them. To anyone who has never played one of the Fender Roadworn basses, I really can't tell you how superb they are. If this Flea signature is anything like as good as the other Roadworn basses, I'm sure it'll be great. And as someone else mentioned, it really is quite liberating to gig a roadworn instrument, as you aren't quite so precious with it - I don't mean you're chucking it around - just that it doesn't matter terribly if it gets another scratch or ding.

EDIT: I'm off to Bristol for a daytrip soon, and the pal I'll be with always want to look around the music shops - so if they have one in stock in any of the shops there.... look out wallet Lol

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1471947481' post='3117128']
Also, anyone out there got / played one of these and a Roadworn Jazz?
How do they compare? Are they similar build quality / sound / playability etc?
[/quote]

I played a Roadworn Jazz a few years back now...in fact I think I tried a few. I wanted one, and I should have gone for it.

The wear and tear is very similar in terms of how it 'looks', but obviously the pattern is different and I think the Flea is a heavier relic.

The feel is very similar. The worn in neck feels great, except all of the hardware is new, as you know.

The differences? The rather fun v/t/v/t and the absolutely superb pickups....it really is one of the nicest passive jazz tones I've personally experienced. Oh, and I love Fiesta Red, but faded Shell Pink is amazing.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1471948512' post='3117145']
I played a Roadworn Jazz a few years back now...in fact I think I tried a few. I wanted one, and I should have gone for it.

The wear and tear is very similar in terms of how it 'looks', but obviously the pattern is different and I think the Flea is a heavier relic.

The feel is very similar. The worn in neck feels great, except all of the hardware is new, as you know.

The differences? The rather fun v/t/v/t and the absolutely superb pickups....it really is one of the nicest passive jazz tones I've personally experienced. Oh, and I love Fiesta Red, but faded Shell Pink is amazing.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Musicman20,

I was completely "off" Fenders, until I tried my Roadworn Jazz (Bought 2nd hand, from another BC member) I was so instantly smitten by it, that I bought it there & then, following a trip to the nearest cashpoint. I took a gamble with my Roadworn P, as I hadn't tried one, but everyone who owned or had tried one rated them - so I bit the bullet, and again, I was amazed at just how good the RW's are.

Yes, I sometimes wish my Jazz was Fiesta Red, instead of sunburst - but I completely agree - Faded Shell Pink is stunning.
Hmmm..... should I consider re-painting my RW Jazz into Shell Pink? Now there's a thought....

Anyone else compared the RW Jazz to this new Flea Sig?

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1472033144' post='3117796']
I have both

[url="https://www.instagram.com/p/BIA-yNXAnuJ/?taken-by=wearethenames"]https://www.instagra...y=wearethenames[/url]
[/quote]

what are the pickups on the roadworn, any idea? how do they compare to the Flea?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1472063741' post='3118162']
what are the pickups on the roadworn, any idea? how do they compare to the Flea?
[/quote]

I have nothing but love for the RW and it's pickups, i'm not sure if it was ever agreed what they were but the rumor was US. The Flea is meant to be AVRI but again who know with Fender.

I've not had chance to A/B the basses but will be doing this weekend.

The Flea pickups are the American Pure Vintage 64 set.

The standard Road Worn pickups are Mexican Standard Vintage Alnico pickups.

Both sound great. I assume the Mexican pickups are different to the average Mexican Jazz bass.

The 64 set are really really powerful IMO....exactly what I wanted a Jazz to sound like. Clear, aggressive when required, fat and warm when required.

Which makes me wonder, despite the new price of £949, they are still a lot cheaper than a normal Road Worn Jazz. Makes no sense!