Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

Just been talking to GuitarGuitar following up on my bass, they had a group stock of 8 basses on Friday now they've all gone, theyre now charging £949 for the next run of orders... Could be a continual price hike on these basses if they keep on selling out...

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=160623299252008

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1469477712' post='3098691']
Price rise is a bit unfair. But, let's face it, without going to far into politics, Brexit is already causing enough problems as it is. Could also be greed!
[/quote]

Its not unfair, politics or greed. If anything, going from 880 to 950 is actually getting off quite likely when considering the exchange rate to the states, luckily we are getting the Euro price, as and the euro has been depressed too, it seems that fender are soaking up some of the loss.

The day before brexit, $1199 (the US price) was £800, today it is £913, so it is exactly the opposite of greed.

[quote name='spacecowboy' timestamp='1469468902' post='3098583']
Just been talking to GuitarGuitar following up on my bass, they had a group stock of 8 basses on Friday now they've all gone, theyre now charging £949 for the next run of orders... Could be a continual price hike on these basses if they keep on selling out...
[/quote]

First post on Basschat... Hello!

One of those 8 basses from GG is heading my way. Really looking forward to it.
Had just bought a Ric two months ago and swore I would not buy another bass for quite some time.

Then a few weeks ago a severe case of GAS. Flea being one of my big sources of inspiration when I started playing bass while I was a kid in the 90s, the look and feel of the RW-series, the colour and the stacked knobs,... The bass just ticked too many boxes!!

@Spacecowboy: did GG tell you what they're doing with the bass you've sent back? I wonder what happens in a case like that.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1469482213' post='3098761']

Its not unfair, politics or greed. If anything, going from 880 to 950 is actually getting off quite likely when considering the exchange rate to the states, luckily we are getting the Euro price, as and the euro has been depressed too, it seems that fender are soaking up some of the loss.

The day before brexit, $1199 (the US price) was £800, today it is £913, so it is exactly the opposite of greed.
[/quote]

Unless you know the buying price then we will never know.

I do think the situation is unfair but it's not for this topic.

[quote name='Sound&Fury' timestamp='1469483449' post='3098770']

First post on Basschat... Hello!

One of those 8 basses from GG is heading my way. Really looking forward to it.
Had just bought a Ric two months ago and swore I would not buy another bass for quite some time.

Then a few weeks ago a severe case of GAS. Flea being one of my big sources of inspiration when I started playing bass while I was a kid in the 90s, the look and feel of the RW-series, the colour and the stacked knobs,... The bass just ticked too many boxes!!

@Spacecowboy: did GG tell you what they're doing with the bass you've sent back? I wonder what happens in a case like that.
[/quote]

Hi mate, GG told me it would go back to Fender, but I doubt they'd scrap the bass altogether the body was fine just a few bits and bobs to sort out, most of the bass will probably be recirculated. Good luck with your new bass mate hopefully we'll both get good ones!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1469488253' post='3098789']
Wasn't £949 the original RRP. I'm sure I saw that somewhere.
[/quote]

Yeah I think so. When I meant in terms of monetary greed, it was more in the sense that it could just be retailers thinking 'we can easy shift this at a higher price and thus make more profit'. Yep, business sense, I understand that, I am just very cynical when it comes to the way musical instruments are sold in this country. For another topic, but Reverend have the right idea with a 'no dealer/middleman' model.

[quote name='rhcp128' timestamp='1469530524' post='3098997']
Fender's website still has it listed at £919...

on a separate note, the finish on the back of the neck on mine started coming of, like exposing the raw wood :blink: Honestly still not happy about this sticky nitro business
[/quote]

The finish on my old RW is starting to wear, I hope the flea will do the same

Well it seems second time lucky!

This bass is a lot lighter than the first one I received from Guitar Guitar, the problems the first bass had aren't on this one. The bass suffered from a terrible factory setup with the strings at the 20th fret a whopping 8mm off the board, the intonation of every string was out with the octave being sharp, took about an hour to sort the whole thing out and get it sitting and playing how I wanted it, as previously mentioned the whole neck needs removing to access and tweak the truss rod which adds a lot of time to the setup work, I had a bit of a battle with the A string and it wouldn't sit as low as perhaps I'd like it but I think it's only about 0.5mm away.

But it's not all doom and gloom, now it's been setup and has a set of D'Addario flats on its singing and effortlessly easy to play, neck is great, only slightly thicker than my mates American Deluxe Jazz, but I like thIs profile, sound wise there's a lot of control between the pickups, but as others say it's a Jazz bass and if you're after j bass tones then this will satisfy most needs. The finish is ok, I've got the same greasy finish on the pick guard as most, my nitro doesn't feel sticky yet, the edges of the paint where it reveals the wood should have been finished a little better, it's not really indicative of how paint would wear over time, it's almost like it's been chipped off leaving a hard edge not worn down and blended with the body... But perhaps that's my job now, but instead of looking like it's been played for 50 years it looks like it's got pissed and fallen down some stairs... Minor gripe cause let's be honest this thing looks terrific!

Overall I'll have to play it for a while see how we get on, it doesn't feel like almost a grands worth of bass, but in time I can see myself really enjoying it as the aesthetics of the bass where exactly what I was looking for, it's in my opinion the coolest looking Jazz bass fender do and maybe that's why overtime I'll forgive the basses price tag.

I'll get better pics when the sun decides to bother itself to come out but here's one I took after the setup on my phone, stupidly forgot to oil the neck before re stringing it prior to setting up but that can be done next time!

[URL=http://s749.photobucket.com/user/benedictcalland/media/image_zpswsoicswx.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx139/benedictcalland/image_zpswsoicswx.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Looks great, glad you sorted it out. I honestly think for £900 ish, for 2016, this is a lot of bass for the money!

Rare nitro finish
Pure Vintage Pickups
Rare control setup

This bass is similar to what the guitarist get with the Baja Telecaster....a bargain (although more expensive due to being nitro).

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1469610714' post='3099657']
Looks great, glad you sorted it out. I honestly think for £900 ish, for 2016, this is a lot of bass for the money!

Rare nitro finish
Pure Vintage Pickups
Rare control setup

This bass is similar to what the guitarist get with the Baja Telecaster....a bargain (although more expensive due to being nitro).
[/quote]

Valid points! The pickups are fantastic aren't they!

[quote name='spacecowboy' timestamp='1469611140' post='3099663']

Valid points! The pickups are fantastic aren't they!
[/quote]

They really are. I have a 2009/10 American Standard Jazz which is lovely and well built bass, but I'd rather play this Flea bass...the pickups just seem to be the perfect Jazz tone I've always wanted.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1469611927' post='3099670']
They really are. I have a 2009/10 American Standard Jazz which is lovely and well built bass, but I'd rather play this Flea bass...the pickups just seem to be the perfect Jazz tone I've always wanted.
[/quote]

what are the pickups on this bass?
I have a 75RI Jazz to reassemble and needs pickups (it came with Nordstrands which I am using elsewhere now)... I might try these and see.

Mine arrived yesterday.
Was a bit frightened at first as Guitar Guitar had packaged it in a box that was a bit too small. One of the sides of the box had a clear hump where the headstock was located, albeit in the gig bag and with some extra bubble wrap outside the gig bag...

After tuning and having a first inspection and test there seems to be no harm done. The pick guard is less aged than what I've seen from other owners, though.

Did anybody else already see this? Somebody in Germany took the relicing a step further... :blink:
[url="https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fender-flea-signature-roadworn-jazzbass-fsp-heavy-aged-/499438020-74-4761"]https://www.ebay-kle...9438020-74-4761[/url]

Edited by Sound&Fury

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1469623908' post='3099804']
Fender Pure Vintage 64 Jazz Pickups

[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/pickups-and-preamps/pure-vintage-64-jazz-bass-pickup-set-black-2/"]http://intl.fender.c...up-set-black-2/[/url]
[/quote]

ah, thanks!

any idea how they compared to the Custom Shop 60s? I was thinking of those for my bass...

[quote name='Sound&Fury' timestamp='1469629640' post='3099882']
Mine arrived yesterday.
Was a bit frightened at first as Guitar Guitar had packaged it in a box that was a bit too small. One of the sides of the box had a clear hump where the headstock was located, albeit in the gig bag and with some extra bubble wrap outside the gig bag...

After tuning and having a first inspection and test there seems to be no harm done. The pick guard is less aged than what I've seen from other owners, though.

Did anybody else already see this? Somebody in Germany took the relicing a step further... :blink:
[url="https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fender-flea-signature-roadworn-jazzbass-fsp-heavy-aged-/499438020-74-4761"]https://www.ebay-kle...9438020-74-4761[/url]
[/quote]

urgh!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1469633679' post='3099931']

ah, thanks!

any idea how they compared to the Custom Shop 60s? I was thinking of those for my bass...
[/quote]

Not sure unfortunately. My American Standard has the normal USA Standard pickups from before 2012. The 64's just seem very 'organic' and 'full' to me.

Edited by Musicman20