Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1474641984' post='3139537']
I rather like these, work well on both Rick and Fender, not too taught, not too loose, well, for me anyway :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361711320377?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=631022568351&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]
[/quote]

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Only flats I've ever bonded with. 9050L for me, super feel.

So good, I've bought a set of 7250ML nickels for the Ricky - which I've the same flats on for a year. Have a change, may change back!

If they sound great on an old 4001, I'm sure they'll be killer on a Flea. :)

I also love the fender flats, I'm going to keep rounds on my P, are the Fender rounds any good ? What are the stock strings on it at the moment ?

I've only ever used Roto rounds (on my Jazz Bass Special because it's the law that you have to use those strings on that bass) an they would be horrible on the Flea

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1480508131' post='3184906']
I also love the fender flats, I'm going to keep rounds on my P, are the Fender rounds any good ? What are the stock strings on it at the moment ?

I've only ever used Roto rounds (on my Jazz Bass Special because it's the law that you have to use those strings on that bass) an they would be horrible on the Flea
[/quote]

the stock rounds sound great, especially as they are almost dead now.
Roto rounds would sound fine. I've used them for over 30 years but I'm going to put some fender flats on it

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1480508131' post='3184906']

[/quote]

Fitted some Fender nickel rounds to my 4001 as planned yesterday. They sound great, very impressed as I am with their flats.

Very well priced, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well just dropped mine off at The Bass Doc having only played it once or twice on fully open which sounded canny, however it was deffo a Friday late afternoon build! The pick ups were wired up wrong, only 3 wires and a bit arse over tit I believe the expression goes! However I know once it's back tomorrow after H messes with it enough it will be Bob on! Still love it though and can't wait to get it back.

Bought my Flea Jazz a short while back, from FuNkShUi of this parish.
It was used, so I can't comment on whether there were any niggling problems or set-up issues / quality control issues when straight out of the box. But the set-up and condition I got the bass in is great. It arrived with rather lighter gauge strings than I'm used to, but it's set up perfectly for those strings - so I'll leave it as-is for the moment.

I'm really liking the bass. As someone posted above, the pickups are possibly slightly less aggressive - still sounds good though, and has a nice vintage vibe to the sound (though in truth, I think I still prefer V V T controls over stack knobs - perhaps because that's what I'm used to). The neck is lovely, it feels very much "worn-in" and is very playable and fast. It's quite slender - more slender than my Roadworn Jazz.

Something that struck both myself and FuNkShUi, was the incredible amount of sustain. After hitting a note, especially an open string, even unplugged, the note just seems to ring for ages. Absolutely no sign of dead spots anywhere. I'd read of a few people who reportedly had QC issues, like the control plate coming off while unplugging the jack lead - so I checked all the screws on the bass, and they were tight and a snug fit into their various sockets.

Overall, I really didn't "need" a Flea sig Jazz, as I already had too many basses. But I'm really glad I bought it - I love the colour, and look of the bass. Construction, quality, sound and playability of the bass is superb. I'm taking mine to rehearsal tonight, and I'm looking forward to it :)

Edited by Marc S

It would appear that I'm starting to wear the finish, where my wrist rests against the body. I normally gig in a long sleeved shirt and the cuff button is wearing the paint away. It looks great actually.
The paint is quite soft.
Still sounds fab though

and I'm finding that I'm dialing the bridge pickup in (a lot)

Edited by police squad

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1477145915' post='3160142']
My mate just popped over with 2 of these, though one is going back to the shop right now as the neck has major QC issues so will need to go back to Fender. Hopefully he'll be coming back here later with a replacement.

Other than the sadly too common QC issue it's a lovely bass, feels great, sounds solid and loves it when you dig in. I'm not tempted to get one over my 2015 USA Std, but if I didn't have that bass I'd be tempted to have one of these for fun.

Posting pics of 2 side by side for the relic spotting geeks out there (we know who we are ;) )

[url="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Flea%20Jazz/IMG_1628_zpszduo98sh.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Flea%20Jazz/IMG_1630_zpskweggcp7.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Interesting how similar the relicing is between the two. How do fender manufacter the relic, does anyone know? Is it machine reliced for consistancy?

I've lived with GAS for many basses over the last 10 years, this is no exception. I love the spec. The QC doesn't concern me too much as I wouldn't buy blind. The price is a little dear for me, almost like your paying for the uniqueness rather than the instrument. That said, the RWs are a couple of hundred quid more expensive.

.... stop it Dave, the wife will go mental. I hate GAS! it will pass ....

Edited by Davebassics

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481646290' post='3194003']
I'd be interested if they made a signature version of the one he's actually using now, with a B string too.
[/quote]

I did think that it was odd that they released the bass Flea uses only in the studio as the signature rather than the one he actually uses live since most of the people buying them will be using them live I would have thought?

Then again, the bass Flea uses live was probably only made due to the signature model so that the paying public could see him using something that resembled the signature than something by another manufacturer

It looks a simple bass to put into production, they'll probably release it in ten years after he's stopped using it like the current one!

If anything a Flea signature based on his current one would be more of an actual Flea signature as the current one is just a copy of a regular jazz that presumably belonged to someone else before him?

I feel like I've seen him use the jazz that the signature is based on quite a lot live, especially with Atoms for Peace. Admittedly not as often as the ray/modulus humbucker equipped basses though. I suspect that this was a gateway introduction of a signature, as the jazz was the only Fender he was known for playing at the time. I would say it's only a matter of time before we get another Flea signature based on the humbucker equipped jazz basses he seems to be using now.

I still own mine (not a surprise - I tend to hold onto things for a long time if they work well) and I'm 100% satisfied with it.

I have zero intention of buying any more basses now, mainly because I don't need any but also because I'd be paying about 1/3+ more nowadays for a new one compared to 1-2 years back.

When I compare this to the new 'Professional' Series, I see absolutely no reason why there is such an insane price jump for such dull specs.

I've played a couple of these unplugged and thought they were lovely, the neck feels perfect to me. However I'm facing a dilemma, I'm aware that they're very different basses but So I was thinking quality wise, is there a lot of difference between the Flea and a MIM standard? I've played a MIM a few times recently but I haven't had long enough on either to think which I'd be happier with, the thing that puts me off with the Flea bass is the price. It seems a lot to pay when I could probably get a MIM standard for £300-£400 second hand and upgrade it... Any advice from Flea jazz owners?

Edited by AutomaticWriting

I've just bought a flea bass as I couldn't stop looking at it on the for sale forum, I would have been gutted if it had gone to someone else. Not a colour I would have gone for normally.

This was my last attempt into the jazz world - I have owned a few but not got on with them and kept going back to my Japanese Squier P. I don't know what it makes it different from the others I've owned and perhaps some of it is psychological but I am hooked!!!! It's comfy, sounds amazing, lovely to play (after a tweak and setup how I like it) and killer looks even if ithe pink is a very strange pink at that.

I don't know how these compare to a standard MIM and it was slightly more than my original budget allowed but I am glad I pulled the trigger even though my wife and kids think I'm crackers for buy such a rough looking bass ;-)

Have to agree with Paddy. I've tried and tried to get on with a jazz to the point where my Highway has spent the last few years sat in it's gig bag being neglected. My wife bought me the flea and it's now my go to for every gig, No1 (Precision hot rod) sits on the stand looking a bit miffed.

Great neck, superb sound, sits well on the strap and plays like a dream. It's even fooled a few friends (guitarists bless them) into thinking it's an original or a custom shop.

Never had a MIM, but I can tell you compared to my Highway it's an absolute dream (the Highway may be a dream as well, just not for me)

It's far far FAR away from a normal MIM.

Reasons:

- Paintwork/colour/worn look/nitro,
- American-made Pure Vintage ’64 Jazz Bass single-coil pickups,
- V/V/T/T,
- I presume some sort of vintage spec neck profile,
- Tort guard,
- Feel and weight.

Mine, as I've noted above, is such great bass. I like my MIA American Standard Jazz, but I think the more growly/vintage spec pickups and different feel of the bass makes a huge difference.

It is a very rare colour....

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1483975793' post='3211588']
It's far far FAR away from a normal MIM.

Reasons:

- Paintwork/colour/worn look/nitro,
- American-made Pure Vintage ’64 Jazz Bass single-coil pickups,
- V/V/T/T,
- I presume some sort of vintage spec neck profile,
- Tort guard,
- Feel and weight.

Mine, as I've noted above, is such great bass. I like my MIA American Standard Jazz, but I think the more growly/vintage spec pickups and different feel of the bass makes a huge difference.

It is a very rare colour....
[/quote]

Hmm I meant just in terms of overall quality / price point, point of view. Thinking about it I'd probably rather go Squier Classic Vibe than a MIM Standard...
Either way I'll probably end up with one of these Flea basses somewhere down the line haha.

Just watched the Andertons review. It's a strange one...I like the concentric pots and the way the machines (appear?) to have elongated posts so they sit higher, but whether or not I was in the market for a Jazz believe that I'd still give it a wide berth. It sounds decent enough through that Darkglass head too.

Positives out of the way, the voice of reason kicks in. For me, it just seems off-putting having a bass that is pretty much chip for chip identical to hundreds of others out there (and yes, I know there are thousands of pristine Ps & Js out there in identical finishes, but the clone of an already distressed bass is a little different). While I like the relic look in general [i]and [/i]if it's done sympathetically I'm certain you can get a unique looking instrument but here though, it's not the case. There's also the issue (again for me) that as the instrument is associated with Flea, there is an expectation to play it like Flea.

I actually like that my primary instrument is one of only a small number on the planet and it would just seem plain strange turning up for a gig and having another bass player on the bill with the same instrument, with the same chippage..

Does anyone know how long these will be available for? I realise they only came out last year, but I'm having to save up for one and it's gonna take a bit of time, I've still got a way to go. I wasn't really that interested until I played one in Dawson's, and just fell for it completely! I'm not sure how long Fender do runs of limited edition types. Sorry for the newb question, I've only recently joined this forum!

Edited by Blackeyed_blonde