Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

That sounds even worse haha!

I've always wanted a fairly battered looking P or J. The Fiesta Red J I tried (Road Worn) looked and felt awesome. Wish I'd got one when they first came out. The Sandbergs look great, but for some reason the Fender wear looks more authentic to me....thin nitro vs poly wear?

Only problem is, I won't even get to open the box tomorrow as I'm at work all day, the missus is in on her day off, then we are off straight to a gig, then I basically need to go to bed! BOOOOOO.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1467016486' post='3080377']
I don't really get signatures like this. As stated, the MM pickup would make more sense for a Flea signature.... but hey, what do I know?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-61-Jazz-Bass-STACK-KNOB-Control-Plate-Concentric-CTS-Pots-Repro-Caps-/191826768729"]http://www.ebay.co.u...s-/191826768729[/url]
[/quote]

You have a point, but look at the reason most people on here are wanting this bass...it's not because of Flea or because it offers something unusual, it's because it's a combination of classic Fender and Jazz bass features. It might seem a mundane marketing plan, but Fender don't stray too far from the norm very often because the norm is what most people want and have wanted since they came up with these designs in the 50's and 60's. And long may it continue IMHO :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467797086' post='3086263']
I've always wanted a fairly battered looking P or J. The Fiesta Red J I tried (Road Worn) looked and felt awesome. Wish I'd got one when they first came out. The Sandbergs look great, but for some reason the Fender wear looks more authentic to me....thin nitro vs poly wear?
[/quote]

The Road Worns are fantastic players and sound very good indeed. If this Jazz is anything like my Road Worn P (only in Jazz form, of course) then it will be a fantastic bass. I wish I'd discovered the Road Worn series when they first appeared, too. Apart from the mandatory arm contour wear and faux fag burn on the headstock, the wear is very plausible indeed and the nitro finish and rolled board edges make the basses really pleasing and comfortable to play. The ageing of the hardware is particularly good.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467789323' post='3086175']
Sorry, I didn't intend to make you look like a wobbly arseclown. :)

I did it with Snipping Tool.
[/quote]

I'm OK with the wobbly arseclown look... it suits me. :D

Thanks for the snipping tool info - I'd forgotten that one.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467797086' post='3086263']
The Sandbergs look great, but for some reason the Fender wear looks more authentic to me....
[/quote]

To me the Sandbergs have always looked wrong because the design and aesthetic is contemporary whilst the wear suggests 34-50 years of play-wear - even the least careless roadie in the world with help from his kids couldn't cause the wear in question to a new bass.

For some reason I can't quote on a work PC, but agree with you there Beedster! I like that Sandberg are basically making classic basses with modern features, but the new style bodyshapes don't suit the wear. It must be so ingrained in our brains that it is mainly Fender guitars and basses that look great worn in. I've recently seen some high end Les Paul guitars by a boutique manufacturer. Must be like £3K +. The relic look really looks awful on them. I don't know why. I think Les Pauls and SGs look better with very very light wear instead of the proper relic look.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467798853' post='3086293']
It must be so ingrained in our brains that it is mainly Fender guitars and basses that look great worn in.
[/quote]

I think that's it in a nutshell, even heavily worn Rics, a brand that has been around as long as Fender, just look rough compared to equally worn Fenders. Not sure a heavily worn 64 Hofner Violin Bass would be all that attractive either?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467798853' post='3086293']
For some reason I can't quote on a work PC, but agree with you there Beedster! I like that Sandberg are basically making classic basses with modern features, but the new style bodyshapes don't suit the wear. It must be so ingrained in our brains that it is mainly Fender guitars and basses that look great worn in. I've recently seen some high end Les Paul guitars by a boutique manufacturer. Must be like £3K +. The relic look really looks awful on them. I don't know why. I think Les Pauls and SGs look better with very very light wear instead of the proper relic look.
[/quote]

and a Les Paul with minimal wear but a lot of fade makes me horny!

I've got a 74 SG that was my only guitar from 79 to 04 that the nitro hasn't worn through in any spot at all. It's got its fair share of dinks, and every jot of the deep cherry colour has faded to brown. Maybe Gibson slapped on more nitro than fender in those days.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467796928' post='3086260']
Make sure you don't send it back until you know which one's the better instrument, it's Fender, one of them could easily weight about 2lbs more than the other :)
[/quote]

You know, I was quite interested in NJR911s surplus-to-requirements bass but maybe not now, knowing I'd be looking at a cast off!!

So the Flea bass is around 880 pounds in the UK?

I made some initial enquiries over here in NZ and was told stock was arriving in a couple of weeks and told around $2000 NZD (1000 pounds giver or take).
That seems about right, given that gear is far more expensive down here.
Got a call today from my local emporium and told they can get me one in two-three weeks (first one in NZ apparently) but the cost is $2700 dollars!!! Not a chance!!!
Gutted :(

Mine is arriving today! Oh, guess what, as I'm off to see a band tonight, not going home from work first, then working all day tomorrow and off straight for a work evening, then I probably won't be back until very late. So basically, in the house to sleep only.

The first time I'm going to get to open it will be Saturday :blink:

My (first one) arrived yesterday, I only had a 20 second play but initial impressions - it's a heavy relic but looks great, nice colour, stacked pots are a nice touch. The neck and fingerboard aren't as worn in as my sunburst RW but that's not surprising seeing as that's a 7 year old bass and has been well played.

It sounds good and vibrant acoustically though I'm not a fan of rounds, set up felt OK but not enough time to check it.

I'll see how the other one compares when it arrives in the next day or so.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1467889156' post='3087012']
I really should stop reading this thread...
[/quote]

Sorry Jose, didn't quite catch that? :mellow:

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/007_zpsyqmrsugz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/007_zpsyqmrsugz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467889052' post='3087009']
Since you will have two next to each other at some point, something that few people will have the opportunity to see, it would be interesting to know how close the relicing is if indeed the marks and scars do mirror the original instrument. Just for fun :D
[/quote]

I will do when they are both here, along with my sb RW

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467889365' post='3087017']
Sorry Jose, didn't quite catch that? :mellow:

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/007_zpsyqmrsugz.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]
mantra:

I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. I should sell Jazz basses, not buying more. [...]

Jees. I got 10 minutes on this unplugged. Pretty decent weight wise (lighter than my American Standard) but that's not the main thing. This bass is beautiful straight out of the box. Perfectly setup and in tune. Nice low-medium action.

QC is perfect. This is the second high end MIM I've bought and I'm impressed again. Vol/tone no issues in terms of clicks/smooth movement.

Paintwork and wear is so good. What a colour. Neck pocket fitment is perfect.

What a brilliant bass. Probably the easiest Jazz I've played.

There is something about the Road Worn series...

The only niggles with my first one is that the board looks a little dry, nothing that a dab of lemon oil wont fix, and the pick guard looks...dusty?

The board on my 2009 RW is lovely and dark and the pickguard is nicly worn/shiney/dull in all the right places. I think that's just because of 7 years of use and the Flea bass will age just as nicely.

I have a MIM, CIJ and US Fender and quality is equally good on them all

I've got a P and J American Standard, both post-2009, but both before they changed the cases back (I love those cases so it is a shame they don't do them now) and before the latest pickups.

Both took me a while to find. I have tried around 10 or so American Standards, and it took some time to get these two with the feel and quality I wanted.

With the Flea Jazz, I wasn't expecting it to be this good! So it has way surpassed my expectations and it hasn't even been plugged in yet.

The other MIM I have is a Baja Telecaster. Everyone knows they are superb. It is better than my old American Standard Tele. It is on par with the 50's reissues in terms of high quality, good bridge, the right snarly pickups, fat neck, and very well made, except it isn't nitro....it is however very pretty. This guitar also arrived with perfect quality control and setup. Bizarre! Obviously the MIJ/CIJ are virtually always good (IME) and the Jag I got last year is yet more proof.

It almost seems like when the Mexican factory is allowed more budget to work on their high end MIM models, they slam it out of the park.

Now I want a Roadworn P!

Just to confirm, if you DO get chance to snap one of these up, I would personally do it now. This has been the least stress free Fender purchase I've had in ages...! DV247 have one in stock (or did) and I think even GuitarGuitar do as well....

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a test of the market by Fender, and full production might be based on how well these sell and how they take off in terms of the general public making comments about playing one. Then they hit full production at £1100+....although the Nate Mendal....!?!?!?!? Now that seems a good option for a Road Worn P.

I can see why the relic-look is an appeal now. There is something oddly brilliant about how it looks and feels. The body doesn't feel 'plastic' or stiff. it feels worn and comfortable.

It just looks 'right' on a Fender that is attempting to replicate an older guitar or bass. Looking at the Sandberg relics, this seems miles ahead and it's a good deal cheaper....!

I spent an hour last night, banging out 3 Who songs that I need to have learned by saturday. I enjoyed every minute of it, on my Flea bass. In fact, I'm probably going to use it, [s]next week[/s], I mean tomorrow, on my Who tribute (on account of not having anything remotely John Entwhistle like).
No thunderbird, no fenderbirds, no buzzards (of any make), certainly no alembics or slab 66 P basses.
Flea does Entwhistle!!

Edited by police squad

Aye, I usually play Musicman basses (my Fenders are great but don't get used so much at the moment) but I'm looking forward to using this...I've got a Tonehammer if I want to 'active' it up. But, I'm more than happy to just go classic Jazz with it and maybe get some 'bright' flats on it like the EB Cobalts at some point.