Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1467996792' post='3087973']
I'm getting more and more attracted to this.
Itching for a look / play on one.
[/quote]

Martyn, you can come and have a try of mine the week after next (I'm away next week). If I still have it :rolleyes: :P

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1468001880' post='3088027']
Martyn, you can come and have a try of mine the week after next (I'm away next week). If I still have it :rolleyes: :P
[/quote]

Will do! - I'm away mid week after that.
Dont do anything hasty without dropping me a line to get in the queue!!

I wish I could try one locally... I have decided to let my Jazz basses go and instead have a Maruszczyk made (Precision body and neck, but Jazz in sound), but this is a Jazz that I could perhaps live with with its slightly chunkier neck and... looking amazing... argh! I hate Basschat sometimes... ;)

[quote name='Minty' timestamp='1468059372' post='3088333']
Just saw this on ebay if anyone's looking for a bargain...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Flea-Jazz-Bass-Rosewood-Fingerboard-Roadworn-Shell-Pink-/172267974093?hash=item281bf8adcd:g:42YAAOSwvg9XgCkd
[/quote]

How's that a bargain? All the UK stockists have been selling at that price surely? At least all the ones I've seen online have.

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1468068413' post='3088404']
How's that a bargain? All the UK stockists have been selling at that price surely? At least all the ones I've seen online have.
[/quote]

Yup, confused me to. Minty? :)

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1468068413' post='3088404']
[/quote] Oh my bad, the only store I've seen it in had it for £1000+.

Had the opportunity to play the Flea 60's stacked pot jazz tribute, it was in stock and priced at £919 from PMT Manchester.[list]
[*]its light weight, great relic'ing! really fantastic down to dent and bends in the tone nob. Small details that you dont see from 'tribute' mim models.
[/list][list]
[*]its a quiet bass when plugged in, well when compared to some of the mim p basses i played through the same amp.
[/list][list]
[*]Its very sensitive to attack, you can really dig in and the tone of the bass will really change to the level of attack without distorting or losing any tone.
[/list][list]
[*]Fit and finish on the bass is perfect, frets edges are perfect, neck is straight and the rosewood quality is really nice!, low action and no fret buzz. very light!
[/list][list]
[*]The staff and some passers by really loved that bass! :D only had great things to say about it.
[*]The staff all commented that its a smart investment that you can actually use as its already relic'd.
[/list]
Well why didnt I buy it? I tried out a Nate Mendel mim P bass, nitro finish, modified bridge and quater pounder pick ups. £805
wow! FAT sounding! destroyed the flea jazz in terms of growl and punch but then again its a p bass : )

The flea bass neck played 'better' than the Nate Mendel P bass and a Elite £1560 P bass I tried.

If i wasnt after a P bass tone I would have bought the flea jazz right there and then!

Got my 3eq stingray with bright roundwounds and a P bass with flatwounds, not sure if ill ever need a jazz :happy:

my 2 cents :)

Edited by Umskii

yep, I gigged mine last night with a Who Tribute. Used mainly the neck pickup but on 'won't get fooled again' I dialled 3/4 on the bridge in. Both tone pots wide open, ampeg pf500 thru a markbass club 1x15. What a great sound. It growled like a growly thing. Lightweight, very even string response all round. I'm very very pleased with it. I can't wait for my next gig. It's not often I get excited about a bass but this a corker

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1467133556' post='3081407']
Yay another Fender cash cow :)
[/quote]

I guess you have to say are they good basses for the money.... OR, just as pertinently, will you cover your money as the headstock will
retain that.. even despite the actual bass..??

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1468144044' post='3088789']
yep, I gigged mine last night with a Who Tribute. Used mainly the neck pickup but on 'won't get fooled again' I dialled 3/4 on the bridge in. Both tone pots wide open, ampeg pf500 thru a markbass club 1x15. What a great sound. It growled like a growly thing. Lightweight, very even string response all round. I'm very very pleased with it. I can't wait for my next gig. It's not often I get excited about a bass but this a corker
[/quote]

Cool... I had to swap out the Fender pre on my active..as the bass wasn't passive optioned.

Be good to hear this Signature.

My feeling is standard Fender kit itself can need upgrades ..so bridge and pegs next..:lol:

JTUK its got great pickups but as you know, I am a passive fan, although I have another Musicman stingray and the Spector Euro 4. Tuners work well enough and I don't mind the bent bit of tin bridge. I like the option of the tone controls, one per pickup. Signature basses divide opinion but this doesn't have anything quirky. It's just a jazz bass, light, resonant if a rare colour and reliced.

Yep, that is the one thing I don't mind much, the pickups.
I've got a few things coming up where I can shake the whole lot down and
find out what works where but the bridge and pegs aren't be be
a factor on the sound.

Need the bridge asap.

I've put a few basic tones up on Instagram (I barely have time to play never mind setting up proper recording :( ) but my account is private so if you are on it, let me know.

Ropey playing as I've been playing guitar a lot more recently.

The more I play the more I'm impressed. I wish I had more time on my hands to play music but the next two weekends are packed solid. Chances of me fitting in much time with it are slim.

Super impressed. If you get the chance to buy one, do it. I cannot see how this is the price it is. It is like a 'economy' custom shop Fender...in terms of the finish and feel. it is immediately comfortable. I just don't know how they do it, and yes, I was sceptical of the 'worn in' feel but it's not a myth!

Stacked pots? I see and hear zero disadvantage. I prefer it to the normal Jazz Vol/Vol/Tone! The way you can blend is far superior IMO.

I caught some of the T in The Park gig last night. Whilst I will always like the band, it just ISN'T the same live without John. It loses some of its funk, feel and melody. The backing vocals just aren't strong enough. The guitar seems much quieter in the mix and the solos don't 'soar' with sustain and melody like they used to.

Flea and Chad absolutely kill as usual. Every time I see Flea play I want to pick up a bass; he is one hell of a player. He used a Modulus and his new Fender MM pickup Jazz and both growled and punched like crazy. EBMM really should have made him a Flea signature....