Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467486234' post='3084088']

I knew it was a mistake putting that photo up.

Calling Daniel....
[/quote]

Er....not....a.....clue....

Looked like a C to me at first, but then that's the first time I've seen one cut out like that so now I'm unsure!

The stack knobs are often U, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was C as it's more common and they already make them. The fact that there are different C and U profiles out there doesn't help at all.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467486797' post='3084092']
Andertons are already showing that this line may be discontinued.

Mind you, the Geddy and Marcus were limited runs. In 1998 :lol:
[/quote]

It's weird isn't it! I tweeted them and they said they are sure it is limited at the moment. Oh well, I've always wanted a shell pink Fender, always wanted a road worn, but didn't want to pay £1100!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467487213' post='3084098']
It's weird isn't it! I tweeted them and they said they are sure it is limited at the moment. Oh well, I've always wanted a shell pink Fender, always wanted a road worn, but didn't want to pay £1100!
[/quote]

Yes, very weird.
The Flea was £882
The "normal" 60's Road Worn jazz is now showing around the £1200 mark.
I've heard the normal Road Worn (50's P , 60'S J ) are soon to be discontinued.

Fender, who can even guess, never mind know :P

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Markth30' timestamp='1467487428' post='3084103']

Looks like C to me as well

See this chart
http://proguitarshop.com/media/cms/blog/neckshape.jpg
[/quote]

The cut out is too full for a C. Looks like a U, maybe a little slimmer than normal but cerainly the U shape.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467490555' post='3084132']
Special order only now at GuitarGuitar, so the two have sold very quickly this evening. Implies more are available??
[/quote]

Ask them and let us know :)

At one stage Andertons were showing "next delivery Aug 30th". Then they were showing "may be discontinued" :unsure:

Having spent half an hour with it plugged in, I must say, it does sound good. Neck pickup sounds wonderful. Wind in 3/4 of the bridge pickup and I couldn 't stop slapping (oo er). But I haven't got a gig for 2 weeks, so I can't tell how it will sit in the mix. But I suspect it will be great. It's not often I plug something in at home and just keep playing, so full marks so far.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467491196' post='3084140']
Is it odd that compared to BC Talkbass is relatively quiet on these? Are they not available in the US yet?
[/quote]

I wonder Chris, with TB being a lot more American, if it's perhaps not such a big deal over there?
Fenders are obviously cheaper there and there are a lot more available there than here. Custom colours, stack knobs rarely available here and when they are they are often pricey?
Or perhaps they aren't available there as you say :blink:

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1467531332' post='3084247']
Having spent half an hour with it plugged in, I must say, it does sound good. Neck pickup sounds wonderful. Wind in 3/4 of the bridge pickup and I couldn 't stop slapping (oo er). But I haven't got a gig for 2 weeks, so I can't tell how it will sit in the mix. But I suspect it will be great. It's not often I plug something in at home and just keep playing, so full marks so far.
[/quote]

Glad somebody is putting it into words Martin :P

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1467542059' post='3084351']
feels like a c
[/quote]

Looks like a C, feels like a C, must be a .......?

I get the feeling this bass is going to be one of those that we all wished we'd bought when we had the chance :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467488276' post='3084114']
I've heard the normal Road Worn (50's P , 60'S J ) are soon to be discontinued.
[/quote]

I would urge everyone to buy a 'normal' Road Worn before this happens! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1467532324' post='3084251']

I wonder Chris, with TB being a lot more American, if it's perhaps not such a big deal over there?
Fenders are obviously cheaper there and there are a lot more available there than here. Custom colours, stack knobs rarely available here and when they are they are often pricey?
Or perhaps they aren't available there as you say
[/quote]

Post in this TB thread https://www.talkbass.com/threads/leaked-fender-flea-jazz-bass-replica.1230133/page-2 suggests Europe only at present?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467568644' post='3084608']

I get the feeling this bass is going to be one of those that we all wished we'd bought when we had the chance :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467576167' post='3084670']

Post in this TB thread https://www.talkbass.com/threads/leaked-fender-flea-jazz-bass-replica.1230133/page-2 suggests Europe only at present?
[/quote]

You're on it mate, are you getting warmed up for a purchase? :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467488662' post='3084117']

The cut out is too full for a C. Looks like a U, maybe a little slimmer than normal but cerainly the U shape.
[/quote]

My 74 AVRI Jazz has a U. It's 24.5mm deep and 45mm at the 4th fret. My 2005 Jazz has a C and is 20.5mm deep and 46mm at the 4th. The 'slim C' on my Nate Mendel shares the same measurements as the 2005 Jazz. Doesn't tell you the shoulder profile though. Might see if I can do a template as a comparison......

Really odd that it is at NAMM and then available in Europe almost straight away! It would be quite cool if it is a limited run, like the various Johnny Marr Jaguar colours that are limited (Black, Sherwood Green) but then it would also be nice for others to be able to get one and try them out.

Some stores are so slow off the mark it is a wonder how they compete with places like Andertons. I've been awaiting a website listing and final price to deposit a new Boss CE-2W for over a week now so I'm just not bothering with them. Same with the Flea bass, although to be fair they probably won't get stock.

Now £70 more expensive in Thomann and they only have one left.

Seem to have read released in US on either 4th or 8th of July. I might have dreamt that :P

GAK are still showing available to order, but they've done that before haven't they.
I'm probably not the only person to have ordered something from GAK and given up several months later (mind usually they are very good)>

Edited by karlfer

I honestly thought I'd made an error regarding the normal Road Worn prices. I'd love a Precision.

£1100?!?!?

Seriously? They were what, £750 about 2-3 years back.

I honestly don't know of anyone whose salary/wage has risen in line with price hikes in this country. Hence another reason to jump on this bass. When I saw the advert for it, I immediately thought 'going to be £1200'....

I've also just seen the price of a new Stingray and Bongo. WHAT?!?!??! Glad I got those a few years back.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467638138' post='3085014']
I've also just seen the price of a new Stingray and Bongo. WHAT?!?!??! Glad I got those a few years back.
[/quote]

????£1200 more than what i paid in 94!! makes me selling it hurt even more knowing i'll never get another

A couple of years back, I finished obtaining a great collection of Musicman basses, and a guitar. Now, it would cost over a 1/3 more...at least.

I'm not in any way saying they don't command a high price, this is more down to how expensive it has come to buy high end American goods in the UK. Mesa is another example, but they have always been insanely priced here.