Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467749362' post='3085956']
If you're careful you can usually get away with removing just the pick guard and leaving the neck in situ. I have this system on my Road Worn P and various others that have been through my hands. I don't find it too much of a chore. The bass is pretty much as per a 57 so it would be weird to have a headstock bullet-type affair. I prefer my one-piece maple neck with skunk stripe to have a walnut cavity plug at the headstock, so there.
[/quote]

Well thats just it. They could easily cut an inset into the bass body large enough for easy truss rod adjusting (rather than just getting away with it), and being covered by the scratchplate it would not effect its vintage authenticity to look at. Simple innovation.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467750455' post='3085966']
Well thats just it. They could easily cut an inset into the bass body large enough for easy truss rod adjusting (rather than just getting away with it), and being covered by the scratchplate it would not effect its vintage authenticity to look at. Simple innovation.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's no fun at all though, is it? WAY too easy. :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467748531' post='3085947']

Wasn't the truss rod back then a screw, as oppose to the modern ball/hex key system? Why copy the bad design at all if it isn't 100% authentic?

I don't think they made relic'd basses back in '61 either ;)
[/quote]

The Nate Mendel P and my AV74RI J are both cross head screw heel adjustment. I don't know how authentic either of these basses are in reality though.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467739657' post='3085809']
Slightly OT, but does anyone know why any bass manufacture today would design a neck/truss rod system that would require the neck being loosened or removed to alter relief? It just seems bizarre!
[/quote]

I wonder this too. I'm heavily considering a Classic 50s Precision but the heel truss rod adjustment seems like it would be a pain; would be very annoying if the only reason is purely because that's how it was done back in the day.

I could even see the point if it was to avoid having the hole behind the nut if that would make it [i]look[/i] more like a 50s one but it still has that hole so it would look identical if it had the adjustment screw there.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1467755358' post='3086027']
I wonder this too. I'm heavily considering a Classic 50s Precision but the heel truss rod adjustment seems like it would be a pain; would be very annoying if the only reason is purely because that's how it was done back in the day.
[/quote]

Er... if the truss rod adjustment wasn't at the heel, it wouldn't be a Classic 50s Precision, would it?
Anyway, it's easy once you've done it a couple of times. Like sex. :)

Edit: If you're considering a Classic 50s P, you should really also consider a Road Worn. A better bass, imho.

Edited by discreet

Guest MoJo

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1467703160' post='3085412']
I am guessing those niggles will get to you Karl, so will be keeping an eye on Bass Players Market UK etc ;)
[/quote]

Is Karl's for sale yet?

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1467756669' post='3086046']
Is Karl's for sale yet?
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467756794' post='3086050']
No one can figure out if he actually likes it or not. :lol:
[/quote]

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/index_zpsyfvfapeh.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/index_zpsyfvfapeh.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

He can't figure it out either!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467755843' post='3086034']
Er... if the truss rod adjustment wasn't at the heel, it wouldn't be a Classic 50s Precision, would it?[/quote]

Well it's not actually from the 50s. If it's just that at that time they hadn't came up with the easier method of adjustment then it seems totally crazy to copy it just to make it more like it was in the 50s. People surely want one that looks, sounds and plays like one from the 50s, why would anyone want something to be worse just because it was in the 50s?

TBH I was hoping there would be at least a theoretical reason like the truss rod being more stable when adjusted like that or something.

[quote]Edit: If you're considering a Classic 50s P, you should really also consider a Road Worn. A better bass, imho.
[/quote]

Interesting. What's better about it? It's about 1 and a half times the price.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1467760927' post='3086083']
Interesting. What's better about it? It's about 1 and a half times the price.
[/quote]

It's lighter, the neck feels a lot better, it's more playable and it sounds better. The differences have little or nothing to do with the 'road wear', that can safely be ignored. It's not like any other Mexican bass. It really sounds and feels like a vintage USA P and is well worth the extra cost In my opinion. If you can find a used one, it's a no-brainer. I'm loving mine, it's going nowhere. In fact I may move on my other basses - I have come to the end of bass guitar GAS. Well, maybe just the end of Precision bass GAS... don't want to go nuts... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467767640' post='3086118']
I have come to the end of bass guitar GAS.
[/quote]

No one comes to the end of bass guitar GAS, at least not unless they stop looking at this forum they don't :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1467756464' post='3086042']
All basses should have the ebmm wheel of fortune by law, thankfully my USA Jazz has one.
[/quote]

I'm retracting this, it hasn't its an Allen key! I'm confusing it with my OLP guitar hanging next to it,maybe it's an age thing.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1467786957' post='3086153']
No one comes to the end of bass guitar GAS...
[/quote]

You quoted me out of context! I qualified that by saying I'd come to the end of [i]Precision Bass[/i] GAS. Thhp! :P

Of course, it's just as likely to be bullplop. :mellow:

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1467787510' post='3086160']
[url="http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Truss_Rods/Truss_Rod_Crank_for_Tele.html"]This[/url] is what you need for those pesky heel-end truss rod adjustments. I can't post a piccie from that site.
[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467795560' post='3086247']
All paid for, arriving tomorrow! I've forgotten what new bass day feels like! I'm quite looking forward to not worrying about wear and tear, which sounds ridiculous!
[/quote][quote name='njr911' timestamp='1467796193' post='3086252']
The first of my brace arrives today, I think it will have to go back to GuitarGuitar :( Still the second one arrives on Thursday :)
[/quote]

We'll need pics! Lots of pics!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467789706' post='3086180']
I'm not sure that tool would help with these Flea basses. The gap from the scratch plate into the neck heel is very small.[/quote]

It is, but in the spirit of the re-issue/road worn thing it will be necessary to repeatedly shove a screwdriver in there without removing the pickguard OR the neck - just to get that authentic 'pickguard truss rod adjuster wear' look.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1467796193' post='3086252']
Haha what a dick!
[/quote]

You know the rules - pics or your dick didn't happen. :crazy:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1467796193' post='3086252']
The first of my brace arrives today, I think it will have to go back to GuitarGuitar :( Still the second one arrives on Thursday :)

Haha what a dick!
[/quote]

Make sure you don't send it back until you know which one's the better instrument, it's Fender, one of them could easily weight about 2lbs more than the other :)