Why become a member? ×

Locked Out of Heaven

interpol52

Hello all,

I've had to learn this for a dep. I'm surprised by how much love playing it. So simple, very Police but just great. Pick with a bit of bridge dampening, I love it. Had a go at Treasure too earlier which was also fun to play.

He must be a closet bass player that Mr Mars.

Anyone else play his stuff?

Yeah, we do Runaway Baby and Treasure which are a lot of fun, also Locked Out Of Heaven on one of my dep gigs.

Like you say the basslines to his songs are a lot of fun to play, nice to find a modern song-writer/producer who really wants the bass to be playing something more than root notes.

Learned it as a possible tune to go in a set list a couple of years ago. The singer couldnt be arsed to get to grips with so it was never gigged. Is it still popular on the pop/functions circuit then? I wondered if it was the sort of song that might wane with that sort of audience.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1465676169' post='3070183']
Hello all,

I've had to learn this for a dep. I'm surprised by how much love playing it. So simple, very Police but just great. Pick with a bit of bridge dampening, I love it. Had a go at Treasure too earlier which was also fun to play.

He must be a closet bass player that Mr Mars.

Anyone else play his stuff?
[/quote]

Yep do both of those. The reason we do them is that they work well live and peeps love em. Good songwriting in terms of verse, chorus, mid 8 so that a small band can do the tunes. Bass lines are not challenging but very distinctive. I use my nail instead of a plectrum and also do a little palm muting.

One little annoyance is that in the verse of Treasure, the drums drop out a bit (i think he stops playing the hi-hat on the original). So i pointed this out to the drummer and remind him each time, after all it adds to the dynamics. Drummist just doesn't get it...

Huge fan of Jamareo Artis' Bruno's bassist. Great player, great tone. There's a collab with Bruno and B.O.B. - I think it's called Nothing On You - extremely tasty bassline.

Bruno seems to be running through his influences, one song at a time. I think he's a talented dude, and his band are excellent.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1465688691' post='3070277']
In my party band we do [i]Treasure[/i], [i]Locked Out Of Heaven[/i], [i]Marry You[/i], and [i]Uptown Funk[/i].
[/quote]

Yep, we do all of those now and again. Great songs, dance floor fillers, and a joy to play. What's not to enjoy? B)

I'm also a big fan of [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Jamareo Artis bruno's bass player , talented guy i think he's part of the writing process on a lot of these things and Bruno is one of those annoying talented multi instrumentalist guys ,
his dad's a professional percussionist and he's a pretty tidy drummer and guitar player himself. [/color][/font]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ivAsscK98"]https://www.youtube....h?v=K8ivAsscK98[/url] , about 50 seconds in once they have stopped pratting about

Or pratting about at the superbowl ... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPMrJDbwYYM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=sPMrJDbwYYM[/url]

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1465804951' post='3071017']
Been playing it since it came out.. getting BV's right whilst playing at the same time was fun..
[/quote]

Ahhh, but do you do the dance, too? :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1465688551' post='3070276']
Is it still popular on the pop/functions circuit then? I wondered if it was the sort of song that might wane with that sort of audience.
[/quote]
Simple answer is Yes. I thought it would be one to chuck away after 3 months but still very popular and still getting plenty of airplay as well.
Looks like a function standard now.