Why become a member? ×

Squier vintage modified jazz bass weights?

Mooseman

I'm trying to find out if the weights are quite similar across the board. I picked up a right handed Vm 4 string in black and it was around 7.35lbs which is great for me (shoulder injury) but I need it in left handed.

Having only seen this one in the flesh I was wondering if people could give some of their weights of there vm jazz basses before I buy?

I know the wood is soft maple but when I msg'd fender they couldn't give any weights but just said the left would be the same as the right.

Thanks

Find a retailer who has one in stock, and ask the weight?!
I don't think you're going to get an accurate general answer simply based on how many they make, best to base it on the actual instrument you might buy.

Si

I have a right handed one and it is just over 7lbs and is the lightest bass I've had. I saw one in a shop and that was very light but I found it cheaper on line at dv247. When it arrived I was pleased to see it was the same weight.
Very nice basses to play too.

Edited by bonzodog

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1465542552' post='3069065']
I've got a VM 70s which is spot on 9lbs [b]on my dodgy bathroom scales.[/b]
[/quote]

I think my bathroom scales are dodgy too... they keep telling me I'm far heavier than I was in my 20s... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1465545720' post='3069087']
I think my bathroom scales are dodgy too... they keep telling me I'm far heavier than I was in my 20s... :mellow:
[/quote]

You can borrow mine. They once told me I'd lost 6lbs in a day ( hooray) but put 8lbs on 2 days later (boo).

• 6 months later...

I've just bought a lefty second hand and it's 10 Ibs, that's me weighing myself first then again while holding it, heavier than my P, just, fortunately it doesn't bother me, they do very a lot though I've had one before, and this one is a different beast, far better neck and seems heavier as far as I can remember, I think this one is an older model than my previous one

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1481716910' post='3194467']
I've just bought a lefty second hand and it's 10 Ibs, that's me weighing myself first then again while holding it, heavier than my P, just, fortunately it doesn't bother me, they do very a lot though I've had one before, and this one is a different beast, far better neck and seems heavier as far as I can remember, I think this one is an older model than my previous one
[/quote]
[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1481717182' post='3194469']
As the natural ones have the grain on show they tend to be a heavier wood than the painted ones which I think are/were basswood?
I had a natural one which was over 10 pounds I seem to remember.
[/quote]both mine were natural finish so this could be correct

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1465582364' post='3069491']
I have had 2 v m j 's and they were both heavy, the natural finish was over 10lb the sunburst one was lighter but was at least 9lb
they both sounded great though ...
The natural had a maple body but the sunburst was something else although i'm not sure what
[/quote]having looked at some specs it does indeed look like the Sunburst ones are basswood and natural are maple, the only two they do in cack handed, (I think) don't like sunburst myself but if you want a light one that seems to be the road to go down