Why become a member? ×

Do You Really Care?

blue

[QUOTE]Jus Lukin said ...playing which isn't of the absolute highest standard?[/QUOTE]

Not safe to presume that any playing actually was off.....just that was part of what he picked on to be in the firing line, not nec what upset him. For example, part of the rant concerned shaving off a beard..... (!)

Who knows......? And there weren't any duffers in that band, let's face it!

LD

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1465372235' post='3067557']
Blue, I'm sure its not, but if that type of behaviour is acceptable and expected within bands in the USA, I can see why you always insist on only playing for money! :unsure:
[/quote]

I'm not sure it would be acceptable or needed at the bar band level. But for headlining with a star like buddy might be different.

My point is, me, personally I wish I could play at that level with a BL that cared that much.

Blue

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1465397162' post='3067864']
The bass seat in his band was notoriously short-lived, sometimes even lasting less than an entire set. It'd be interesting to hear someone like Tony Levin's candid take.
[/quote]

The only interview I've found with Levin on the subject was fairly diplomatic. This could be a professionalism thing on Levin's part, as it's probably not a great idea for a working bassist to be too critical of former employers.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1465385509' post='3067694']

FWIW, I would've quit :D
[/quote]

I would rehearse and learn the charts better. The language Buddy use is the only kind some people understand. Didn't bother me at all.

Blue

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1465389178' post='3067743']
Do I Really Care? As far as this clip goes - NO.
If he spoke like that to some of the musicians I know, it would be along time before he was able to play again.
[/quote]

The question was more directed at whether or not you care about the music your band presents to that degree. It's a tough question because most of us are not playing in bands at that level where 110% is really required. I play in a bar band, it would be silly to get upset at that level. However If I was paying guys 2k a week, yeah, they screw up they're going to hear about it.

Blue

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1465389349' post='3067745']
It's sad, Buddy sure had some personal problems.

That approach is just plain wrong, but maybe the band knew he had problems and put up with it ? Otherwise, fair chance half the band wouldn't have bothered with the second set, or Buddy would have regularly needed surgery to remove a drumstick from his a*se between sets :unsure:

Displaced anger, maybe he wasn't happy with himself for some reason (not necessarily real or to do with drumming ?), dunno amateur psychology 1/2 hour?

Sad stuff really......

But very useful as an example of how NOT to get the best out of creative talented musicians !

LD
[/quote]

Buddy was the greatest. I say if you can't deal with him , then quit.Or better yet don't join,

These guy know what they're signing up for when they played with Buddy.

Blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465404026' post='3067963']
Just because he's swearing doesn't mean he's caring...
[/quote]

Caring, in this case is in the ear of the beholder. You heard swearing, I heard love and passion.

Blue

Cussing at people cannot be love. That is (to me) a sick and twisted view, Blue. Suppose someone acted like that to their children? You'd call child support. If someone went off on their girl like that in a bar?
Build people, don't destroy them.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1465443441' post='3068253']

Caring, in this case is in the ear of the beholder. You heard swearing, I heard love and passion.

Blue
[/quote]
Remember that all this love and passion used to occur when he had run out of dope, fallen out with his missus or had an outsider around who he wanted to impress with how tough he was!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1465403040' post='3067950']
I'm not sure it would be acceptable or needed at the bar band level. But for headlining with a star like buddy might be different.

My point is, me, personally I wish I could play at that level with a BL that cared that much.

Blue
[/quote]
I think you are right when you say that "I'm not sure it would be acceptable or needed at the bar band level", and I see where you are coming from when you say you wish you could play at that level with a BL that cared that much, me too! but Buddy is just a little bit OTT don't you think? there are other ways of getting the best out of people. :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1465442988' post='3068250']
The question was more directed at whether or not you care about the music your band presents to that degree.
[/quote]

I get what you are saying here, but IMO, the clip was the wrong way of getting the point across.

In the clip he comes across as an arrogant prick, genius or not there are better ways of dealing with situations.

If i've been at a gig where a band member has cocked up (believe me, it's happened), I will highlight what went wrong and work out how we can avoid it in future, because it isn't always the fault of the individual.

We all care about the music we perform, and how it's performed, but Buddy's way ins't the way of dealing with it when it doesn't go right. you'd probably find yourself in front of a court for harassment if you acted that way these days.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1465457502' post='3068306']
Remember that all this love and passion used to occur when he had run out of dope, fallen out with his missus or had an outsider around who he wanted to impress with how tough he was!
[/quote]

Where is the [i]Like[/i] button when you need it.

Edited by BassTractor

Buddy's anger had little to do with care for performance standards - he was off on one and that was in the firing line that day. Usual, by accounts.

BTW, does anyone else notice slight time slip (long) during some of Buddy's more complex live solo tom fills ? Concert for America, for example. I would have just had to point that out, or perhaps better to get the trombonist with a beard to tell him !?!

No matter what level one plays at, bar band or whatever, it's good to be passionate about playing standards. But not angry about anything: that just goes nowhere.

LD

Edited by luckydog

Personally I find the whole tape saga rather funny.
I think the guys on that coach dealt with it in the best way possible.
Tape the rants and all sit around and have a ball laughing at it afterwards.
(Lets face it, you are never going to win arguments with Buddy Rich and his mouth).

Historically, there seems to have been more people who were not in his bands, who were upset with his attitude, than personal in his bands. :D

I can say, that just after the episode, 'The Tapes' were responsible for a lot of Musicians getting on board tour buses with Sony Walkmans in their jacket pocket,
hoping for a magical drunken 'rant' moment from someone of importance.

He had an interesting Musical career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Rich