Why become a member? ×

East J-retro - opinions?

LewisK1975

Hi all,

I picked up a US 75ri jazz which has an East J-retro in it. I really prefer passive basses and was hoping that the original wiring harness was going to be found in the case, but alas not.

I know the J-retro can be switched to passive, but I really can't get past the fact that it's there anyway. Plus there's no passive tone control.

What are your thoughts?

1) Are you mad, the J-retro is great, use it ya numpty!

2) I'm with you, passive all the way, get a good re-wiring job done and sell the pre-amp!

Not a retro but I didn't like my east uni 02. Neither did another be member, And that had a passive switch and control but it still was not as passive sounding as a purely passive circuit. I found the pre injected a tiny bit of noise too. Taken it out much better, sold it easily on here and got Kiogon to make me the new passive circuit exactly to my specs. Ten mins putting it in and much better.
This is with nordstrand big singles.

I think if your a passive guy your a passive guy no matter what pre is in there they just don't sound like your preferred option. And that goes for no passive will sound like a active bass.

Generally J-Retros are pretty highly spoken of but if you can't live without a proper passive tone control I'd sell it on and get a passive loom to put in it. :i-m_so_happy:

After struggling for over a year with a bass without a tone control I eventually had to replace the 3-band pre with a 2-band so I could fit a proper tone control on the front!

Depends on the bass, East pre's can be amazing but you need the flat response version in any case. I just stuck a U Retro Deluxe in my 5 string Jazz and it sounds amazing (but does have passive tone control in both active and passive mode). My 4 string Jazz is passive.

3 CTS pots, some wire and a uF0.047 Orange drop and some soldering, presto!

Edited by HazBeen

Passive instruments always sounds best in the living room, I find time and time again that it's when I'm on stage and need to make tiny adjustments of tone that an active circuit become indispensable, and there are few better for Jazz (or in my case Precision because I've done some fiddling about) than the J-Retro. I liked the Audere which had some nice on-off switches, but again, whilst these were great in the living room, they're too much/all or nothing for live work.

But if you're happy with you sound live with a passive bass, there's no need for an active circuit

Too many knobs for me!

I like active basses (although get on just fine with passive ones too) but there's just too much going on with an East for my ears.

Reminder to self - find that one you have buried away and stick it up for sale :)

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1464994131' post='3064603']
I love the J retro in my Lakland DJ4 but would never consider fitting one in my AVRI 74 Jazz. I think it would ruin what that bass is all about.
[/quote]

Yep I think this is pretty much where I'm at too. For me the 2 just don't go together.......OK lets get ordering a passive loom!

I'm going to try the Glock 4 pot but a passive option is a must which is why the existing pre must come out.

The thing with onboard pre amps is that your amp has an EQ stage so you must use the two to compliment not fight...

I choose option 1. The J-Retro and a J-bass is a match made in heaven if you crave "that J-bass tone", think Miller-esque. I finally was able to get that elusive tone once I installed a DJ-Retro in my DJ4 and strung it with DR FatBeams.

If you want to run it VVT checkout ebay, I've seen some prewired VVT setups complete with metal control plate. Making one yourself isn't very difficult though, a few bits and bobs and some soldering skills is all that's required.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1464961318' post='3064193']
Passive instruments always sounds best in the living room, I find time and time again that it's when I'm on stage and need to make tiny adjustments of tone that an active circuit become indispensable...
[/quote]

Yep, this for me, although I don't have any kinda 'traditional' (or RI) basses, and I can see why passive would be preferred in that case.

I love the East preamps, very musical - I have them in all my basses for consistency as well as tone.

John East deluxe has a passive tone control which affects the active circuit too. in other words, in active you can still wipe down some of the highs taking the modern edge off it. I like the modern edge too by the way, but getting a modern scooped tone then just smoothing it a touch with the passive control....beautiful
My JB with the deluxe in passive mode behaves exactly as a passive jazz should....I love having all the options available on one bass and can't recommend it highly enough.!!!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1465300830' post='3066888']
Thanks for all the input Gents - It's going to be Passive, the new wiring is on its way from Kiogon, and looks like I have a buyer for the J-Retro too. XLNT!
[/quote]
You simply can't go wrong with a Kiogon loom. I'd been playing active basses for years until I picked up a Tangelwater Classic J to tide me over when my ACG was having some work done on it. I swapped out the stock controls with one of Kiogon's wiring looms and it made such a difference it really sold me on passive basses. So much so I moved the Tangelwater on to make way for a Maruszczyk Jake, which itself is going to be moved on soon ahead of my passive Zoot custom being delivered. :) I play the ACG less and less these days.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1465325105' post='3067220']
Tanglewater..???
[/quote]

Overwater by tanglewood. I think tanglewood mass produce some instruments with the overwater badge on them..

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/82230-overwater-basses-by-tanglewood/

A bit late in the day I know, but I have an ACG SEQ in a J Type bass. It has a volume/blend stack and a single filter knob for each pickup, kind of like two really good tone controls with what sounds like a broader sweep than the passive setup. There are some trimpots you can tweak inside but I've never felt the need other than to turn the peak overshoot gain right down.

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1465314092' post='3067041']

You simply can't go wrong with a Kiogon loom. I'd been playing active basses for years until I picked up a Tangelwater Classic J to tide me over when my ACG was having some work done on it. I swapped out the stock controls with one of Kiogon's wiring looms and it made such a difference it really sold me on passive basses. So much so I moved the Tangelwater on to make way for a Maruszczyk Jake, which itself is going to be moved on soon ahead of my passive Zoot custom being delivered. :) I play the ACG less and less these days.
[/quote]

That Tanglewater was sold to me and I really liked the quality of Kiogon's work. So that's why I had him make up my Jim fleeting custom loom after I taken the East uni 02 pre out, despite being able to make the loom myself.
Funny I had an ACG a nice higher end custom one as well, great basses but hated the filter pre with a passion as well as the neck.
Passive just is in general easier to use and much more natural sounding.