Why become a member? ×

Acting pro'

Dan Dare

Anyone else struggle to get bandmates to act/look pro'? You know, ensuring equipment - not just the main instrument and backline, but cables etc - is of good quality and works (and looks decent and not held together with gaffa tape), having proper cases, not cardboard boxes, carrying spares - cables, pedals/fx, fuses, a few tools for running repairs, arriving early and so on? Drives me up the wall, especially when people complain you're a fascist/control freak when you ask why they're late and point that they really ought to carry a mic cable rather than constantly scrounging one of yours. You can't refuse, of course, because it affects the quality of the result. Oh well...

Sounds like you should be looking for a new band.

And a more pro look should be 1 of your requirements.

But if you have good paying gigs lined up, leaving would be a questionable move.

Blue

Edited by blue

Oh Yes, don't we love this!
Me and the Drummer put up with this from the Guitarist all the time!
Uses my leads when his break-does not replace his own, ever
Uses my guitar stands (2) has never bought his own
Asks to borrow my Fast Fret - never to be seen again
Asks to borrow my Servisol - now apparently I "gave it to him!"
And the last and biggest bugbear-after every rehersal has never once got a round in, ever, even when i handed him 500 notes after selling his guitar for him on gumtree last week!
In 6 years has probably got 5 gigs to my 100's
So, yeah, Im his bitch...but... we gig regular, get good money and we all get on
Its a compromise that at the end result is all about gigging (and me and said drummer do have a laugh about it)

Ah, but do any of you lot take....

Drum stool
Spare mic for anyone that needs it.
Set of 9-42 guitar strings
A new pair of 5A drum sticks
2 guitar straps, with, and without straplocks
Spare mic stand and XLR cable
2 extra cable extension reels
Box of 50 assorted plectra
A Line 6 Pocket Pod.

It usually all stays in the car but has on occasions, all been needed. I even used to keep a pair of 14" hi- hats in the spare wheel well but gave that up when I bought a car with the spare on the back door.

I'm like a sodding baby-sitter.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1464853597' post='3063092']
Ah, but do any of you lot take....

Drum stool
Spare mic for anyone that needs it.
Set of 9-42 guitar strings
A new pair of 5A drum sticks
2 guitar straps, with, and without straplocks
Spare mic stand and XLR cable
2 extra cable extension reels
Box of 50 assorted plectra
A Line 6 Pocket Pod.

It usually all stays in the car but has on occasions, all been needed. I even used to keep a pair of 14" hi- hats in the spare wheel well but gave that up when I bought a car with the spare on the back door.

I'm like a sodding baby-sitter.
[/quote]

Did you actually PAY for all that lot too?

You arent a babysitter, you are a.....VIRGO! :D

Oh, don't get me started. Gearwise, everyone's pretty cool, but punctuality and our drummer are, at best, vaguely acquainted. Always about 10 minutes after "at the last minute" and then super relaxed while I'm champing at the bit. Not 10 minutes late mind, buty 10 minutes after all other deadlines have run out.
I've realised, for sanity and friendship's sake to either accept it or have a stomach-ulcer. Yes there are other very good drummers who sub for him and who don't stress me out, but he's got THAT groove. Plus I work with him in other contexts where I'm not the boss and we still have to fet along. It's a choice, right?

Dress issues, I sorted out by making everyone buy their costumes. It's a 70s Disco act. What state their costumes are in is another matter, but I simply can't micromanage everything.

Edited by SICbass

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464853993' post='3063101']
I've been on the other end of this as a drummer - the band demanded that I buy cases to transport my drums in, because "it looks unprofessional when you walk into a venue without them in cases".

Are any of you that anal?
[/quote]
that has never bothered me, as long as the kit is looked after and tuned how you transport it is down to you.
i have found it easier to help drummers who have their stuff in cases, but wouldn't insist a drummer buy cases it if the kit itself was fine and transportable.

all i ask off people is that their gear is gigworthy and working, and that they transport their own gear.

most of acting like a pro more comes down to attitude than actual gear.

I've been on the other end of this as a drummer - the band demanded that I buy cases to transport my drums in, because "it looks unprofessional when you walk into a venue without them in cases".
[/quote]
I occasionally play with a very good drummer who doesn't bother to bring the cases. His kit is about 30 years old and has been known to suffer from "structural issues" during the set.

He's so good, none of that matters.

Are any of you that anal?
[/quote]

Yes, I am. That would drive me nuts, but ultimately it's none of my business.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1464856467' post='3063125']
Did you actually PAY for all that lot too?

You aren't a babysitter, you are a.....VIRGO! :D
[/quote]

It's all my stuff anyway so I guess at some point, yes. I just take it because I can't trust the others to cover all bases. you've no gig if there isn't a pair of sticks etc etc.

I forgot the pair of 12AX7s on the list :huh:

And I'm a Capricorn :lol:

So long as they sound good I don't care how someone's equipement looks or is transported to the gig - I've seen so many guitars that look like they could give you a nasty disease yet sound absolutely incredible I don't really notice it anymore. I appreciate it could make a difference if you're doing corporate or wedding covers gigs but for the rock/pop & metal/hardcore originals gigs I do I don't think anyone cares.

The thing that gets me is lack of leads, no amp (!) & not muting your guitar/amp/something whilst they're tuning - anyone that turns up to a gig without the basic equipement needed to make some form of sound shouldn't be there IMO & I can't stand the tuning song!

It's far more about behaviour than gear for me.

Get there early. Set up quickly. Stop noodling. Dress appropriately. Be polite and helpful to the event staff. Be absolutely ready to go once the drummer starts counting in.

All basic stuff but it makes a difference.

Some of the most talented, natural musicians & performers I know couldn't give a monkeys about the stuff they use, or how they organise themselves. That's just who they are.

As someone posted above, bass players seem destined to herd these people around. It's what we do.