Why become a member? ×

Cover band bingo

Les

I've played 16 over the last couple of years with a few different bands.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy playing them at the time, and they are obviously all good songs because so many people love hearing them being played by lots of bands week in, week out, but I'm now getting a real buzz out of playing old school R&B/pub rock stuff by bands such as Dr Feelgood, Nine Below Zero, The Inmates etc.. which the punters really seem to enjoy judging by how many are up on the floor dancing.

I certainly won't knock the songs on the bingo card, but for me, it's nice to play something different now, although we are still doing [u]covers[/u] of the [u]covers[/u] that these bands did of great songs from a previous era. B)

0 in my main band
3 in my acoustic duo (All from the top line. Is that worse?! :blink: )
I have played 3 others in different bands over the 15 or so years i've been gigging

Edit to say Dakota should definitely be on there. Strong argument for "Zombie" to be included too

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1462875792' post='3046431']
Thought I would get the old bingo marker pen out and show you the 16 songs that I've played in various bands.
[/quote]

You got a line - well done!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1462886161' post='3046627']
And four corners!!!

Of course a professional bingo player would use a dabber!!
[/quote]
I must confess, I've never played bingo in my life. so what's a dabber? :blush:

[quote name='Blink' timestamp='1462883713' post='3046584']
11 in the current band. But the punters love them all and i'd rather play to a packed dance floor…...
[/quote]

My old band would include up to 10 of those across a changing set depending on venue, function etc. And you know what, I loved playing pretty much every one of them, every single time. And a whole load of other cheesily clichéd cover band songs too. Doubly so when the room was dancing or singing along and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Personally, I've always enjoyed the process of tangibly entertaining people with music. And playing music I basically like with people I like and like playing with. For me there is a lot of pleasure and joy to be had in those three things alone.

Great post and only 1 full house so far. I score 2.

If you're in a [u]covers band[/u] you are there to entertain and if you get the audience dancing and singing or sitting and tapping and clapping then that's good.

My band often finished a night with 'Everywhere and Nowhere Baby' into '500 miles'. Not very tricky basslines but it never failed to fill the floor with happy folk singing along.

If it's an important gig such as a wedding or birthday celebration you are part making someone a memorable ocassion and it's for them you play.

And if you evoke a nostalgic smile or a tear then thats good too.

Hank Marvin was asked if he ever got tired of playing 'Apache'. His answer was that there will always be someone in the audience hearing it live for the first time and he plays it for them.

Surely whatever kind of band you're in, you're there to entertain? I've played every one of those over the years. No shame at all. Pride in fact, that I'm good enough at my job in a band that people are willing to pay me money to do it. I'd rather play the so-called cheese really well than indulge some misguided sense of "art".

Popularity is what turns the cutting edge into the mainstream cheese.

Edited by neilp

[quote name='Blink' timestamp='1462883713' post='3046584']
the punters love them all and i'd rather play to a packed dance floor…...
[/quote]

This ^ Playing "challenging" and "enriching" music to empty rooms is soul-destroying.

The truth is that these songs come up a lot because a lot of people who go to gigs like them. A few of them are always worth having in the locker for a general covers band to pull out in need of getting a crowd onside when the original set isn't quite gelling with your audience. They could rescue your gig.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1462966745' post='3047333']
The truth is that these songs come up a lot because a lot of people who go to gigs like them. A few of them are always worth having in the locker for a general covers band to pull out in need of getting a crowd onside when the original set isn't quite gelling with your audience. They could rescue your gig.
[/quote]

thanks Kev...I feel better now for knowing as many of em as I do :)

I must admit I didn't audition for a busy functions band when they were looking for a new bassist after I went to see them live and they did '500 miles' all wearing comedy ginger wig/tamashanter combos. Even I draw the line somewhere.

[quote name='NickRiffed' timestamp='1462921702' post='3047059']
All of them... at one time or another. A full house.
Am I bothered?
Not a jot.
Christ, I've even played 'Amarillo' for gods sake.

I'm not proud.
If it keeps 'em dancing on the tables, crack on.
[/quote]
This! Current band scores 17!

I'm fine with playing any of these numbers and the audience reaction is the only criteria we judge a song on. . . . however. . . . one of the main comments we hear is that they like us because we play different songs.

Apparently many cover bands play the same numbers.