Why become a member? ×

Advice for Bass Rig - opinions needed!

doc40hz

Howdy,

I'm lucky enough to be getting loads of work these days in a variety of bands, but my main gig is a LOUD classic rock band (Zep, AC/DC, Ozzy, Deep Purple kinda stuff). I thought I had the rig I needed, and I had up until joining this band.

I've got an Eden WT550 (bought from Dood) and I use a Barefaced Super 12 T and I love this rig. However, I'm just at the threshold for limiting most of the time. I use the EQ sparingly and more often than not cut the Bass EQ by a couple of clicks A few tunes I dial in a couple of clicks of upper mids 1-2khz for attack. The enhance knob is off. I play with my fingers and use an MTD 535-24 or a BB 2025x.

The simple solution is for the band not to play as loud, but its not going to happen realistically. The drummer is LOUD and has a large Sonor kit.

The amp actually sounds fine though.

So I'm wondering what best to do. I'm a bit easy about having my amp limiting a lot towards the end of the gig when we are always louder. I only need a wee bit more head room, I'm not limiting the amp for most of the gig.

1. Add another 4-8Ohm cab. I think the WT550 will run down to 2Ohms and give me a little more headroom at 750watts.
2. Buy a more powerful amp. I really like the Eden sound and the semiparametric EQ is such a useful tool. An option is a WT800 bridged to run at 4Ohms.

Other amps have caught my eye ,and I'm wondering what people think about the amps, headroom, tone in comparison to my Eden.
- EBS Reidmar 750
- GK MB800
- TC RH750
- Peavey MiniMega 1000 (this looks very interesting)
- TC Blacksmith.

Cheers guys!

I notice, from the specs on the Barefaced website, that your cab can take an amp that puts out up to 1200 watts. So I think you should buy this [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_veyron_m_bv1001m.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...n_m_bv1001m.htm[/url]

2000 watts should keep your drummer in his place.

And you can report back to Basschat, if it's any good......and then we can all go out and buy one.

Edit: Or maybe not? http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251292-bugera-veyron-bv1001m/page__st__90__p__2931488__hl__bugera__fromsearch__1#entry2931488

Edited by gjones

I don't know where you are based, or what your budget is, but if you like the sound of your amp but just need more volume there's a guy selling a 1200W Eden World Tour head & cab on Cardiff Gumtree at the moment. He might be willing to sell just the head.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-bass-amplifiers/david-eden-pro-bass-rig...awesome-set-up-/1161025878

Loud on one gig is not loud on another... so if the venues are known to you then you might want to consider
a big rig and a smaller rig... ditto the drummer etc ...

Most gtrs I know have a few amps and pick them for gigs...as do Drummers.

i have a rh750 and a super 12t and play in a very loud metal band, with a very prominent bass tone. ive never had it even halfway on the master volume and im often too loud haha.
i also tried the eden a while ago and it definitely seemed to have less perceived volume than thew tc for me. (although i didn't a-b them directly)
if i was in your position though the peavey would be top of my list to try, it does indeed look very interesting.

A more powerful amp will help, but not by much. I had a 600w epifani ul502 and whilst it was pretty loud, the voicing was quite wide, and consequently my tonehammer 500 seems to have more volume, but in reality, its just more mid forward and not as deep. Something to consider regarding EQ. It still won't sound truly massive even with 1000w, just louder. Ever played through an SVT/8x10? Not many watts, but sounds and feels huge because of the surface area of the speakers.

If you need loads more volume, get more speakers, not more watts.

Do you stand right next to your rig? Getting the speakers up higher closer to your ears may help too. Worth trying that before spending lots of cash.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I think I'm probably going to try and get hold of an Eden WT800 and bridge it for 4 ohms. My cab is rated at 1200 watts, so should be able to take it. Volume isn't the problem, I can hear myself fine at gigs. I'm more concerned about the fact I'm at the edge of my amps capability and I feel a bit uneasy about asking my amp to give *everything* it has every gig.

I agree with jazzjames ; the perceived volume is related to the voicing of the amp. A while back I had SWR SRM 900 amp, 900 watts at 4ohms. It was big and heavy, and I thought I did not need that much power so I got rid of it (regretting it now). It was very clean and deep sounding. I briefly owned an orange terror 500 and it kicked the sh*t out of the SWR volume wise. However, I think it is because the Orange doesn't really throw out much actual bass frequencies - it's more about the low mids (which, arguably, are what makes things sound more "bassy" in a live setting).

From experience, doubling up on Super 12Ts is a wonderful thing. I use my two with a Tonehammer 500 (with the special splitter cable thingy) and it really makes a difference in size of sound. I`ve only ever used them both once at a rehearsal as the room was just swamped with bass using the amp on my regular settings. Def worth looking into.

If you like the rig then buy another cab, it'll make a real difference to the sound which doubling the amp output won't equal. If that isn't enough then a Thumpinator or another HPF will limit the subsonic bass and clean up your sound much better than just backing the bass off a couple of clicks and will achieve that without affecting your sound.

Is the Eden a loud 500 watts?

My TH500 is very loud. . . . IMO it's a louder 500 watts than the Eden and it seems to be easily as loud as the 800 watt Mesa D800.

Anyway, I'd change the amp first. More cab will sound better but that doesn't seem like it's the issue at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1459084987' post='3013390']
I notice, from the specs on the Barefaced website, that your cab can take an amp that puts out up to 1200 watts. So I think you should buy this [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_veyron_m_bv1001m.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...n_m_bv1001m.htm[/url]

2000 watts should keep your drummer in his place.

And you can report back to Basschat, if it's any good......and then we can all go out and buy one.

Edit: Or maybe not? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251292-bugera-veyron-bv1001m/page__st__90__p__2931488__hl__bugera__fromsearch__1#entry2931488"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2931488[/url]
[/quote]

...No you were right first time. ;) You can all save money and go out and buy one. They remain utterly brilliant amps and they are still relatively inexpensive, though sadly the price goes up as the recently enlightened catch on, so I suggest you be quick. Hope you didn't drop too much cash on your current rig. ;) :happy:

A point to consider.... although an amp might be rated to 2 ohms, running a full length gig at high volume is asking a lot from an amp at 2 ohms, and will generate a LOT of heat. I would not consider it. Seems to me a phone call to Alex Claber is the first thing to do.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1460515407' post='3026418']
A point to consider.... although an amp might be rated to 2 ohms, running a full length gig at high volume is asking a lot from an amp at 2 ohms, and will generate a LOT of heat. I would not consider it. Seems to me a phone call to Alex Claber is the first thing to do.
[/quote]

Depends entirely on the amp design. Lots of PA amps for example are designed to run flat out at 2ohm indefinitely.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1460536245' post='3026486']It's like driving my diesel Volvo Estate at 70 mph on a motorway. Everything above 70 is irrelevant and the 160 mph on the speedo is just pure fantasy.[/quote]

It isn't.

1000W is only 3dB more power than 500W and nowadays no-one makes a fuss about using that much power.

Brilliant amp! Not sure what possessed me to sell it but pleased to see its still delivering the goods!!

I'd be inclined to add more speakers - maybe a BF 1x12 to sit on top which will also give you a flexible modular rig.

Edited by dood