Why become a member? ×

Seven female bassists who helped shape modern music.

ambient

Or Jeff Beck, for that matter. Most of the others have been in highly influential bands in their genres and are worth celebrating. Its amazing but it's still very difficult for female musicians to get ahead in the industry. Just go to any night in any rock/indie venue in the country and count the female musicians - it's never even close to 50/50. Of course the reasons are many and complex, but anything that celebrates them and potentially inspires more is a good thing.

All amazing bassists in their own right. However, depending how you define it I'd say only 1 or 2 or 4 could be said to have a shaping role... Kaye, no brainer. Weymouth, certainly. Gordon and Deal, probably in the music shaping class.

Not a sexist thing, just an influence assessment. Of my top ten favourite bassists only about two or three could be claimed to have a modern music shaping influence.

Top list of top players, though. And as Kirky says, great to see credit going to world class female players. On a personal basis I'd add Clare Kenny and Gail Ann Dorsey to my personal list

Shaped modern music? I think that statement is questionable.
But Carol Kaye surely must of had a widespread influence.
The rest I'm not sure about. I think Kim deal and Tina Weymouth have influenced me and therefore probably others.
Others while being very good bass have have in my mind not been big influences. While the three I've mentioned often get included in conversations for having a certain style and being involved in music that was very influential at the time or years later.

Personally I've only heard of 2 of them. Namely Tina Weymouth and Carol Kaye. That's probably more to do with my musical tastes, than their lack of talent or lack of influence.

I just saw it on Facebook and thought it may be of interest to others.

But have any bass players of either gender shaped modern music, after Jamerson and Pastorius that is. I suppose it's natural that a bass forum would want to talk up the instrument. But while the bass's importance in jazz and rock is undisputed, is it really a shaper?

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1459004088' post='3012769']
But have any bass players of either gender shaped modern music, after Jamerson and Pastorius that is. I suppose it's natural that a bass forum would want to talk up the instrument. But while the bass's importance in jazz and rock is undisputed, is it really a shaper?
[/quote]Lemmy? Motorhead would not have been the same band with a 'normal' bass player

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1458977060' post='3012495']
Of course the reasons are many and complex, but anything that celebrates them and potentially inspires more is a good thing.
[/quote]

This.

Music journalism aimed at musicians is awful for excluding women. And that needs to change. One magazine that is doing amazing things is She Shreds. Check them out over here: http://sheshredsmag.com/

[quote name='probablypike' timestamp='1459073588' post='3013252']
This.

Music journalism aimed at musicians is awful for excluding women. And that needs to change. One magazine that is doing amazing things is She Shreds. Check them out over here: [url="http://sheshredsmag.com/"]http://sheshredsmag.com/[/url]
[/quote]
It's a fair point but it's hugely inhibiting (and widely open to debate) when it's referenced as 'shaping' music.

If they're trying to promote positive reaction to female players then surely reference players who have 'inspired' - with a little artistic licence you could legitimately name any/every female who has ever been near a bass guitar and say that someone has been influenced by them.

So, Annie Holland from Elastica would get a mention, ditto Tessa Pollitt from The Slits and Este Haim from Haim and Tracy Wormworth, along with Gail Anne Dorsey and Gaye Advert (both mentioned above) and countless others.

And if they are going to reference someone shaping modern music (which is an incredibly difficult thing to quantify) then why leave out Sara Lee and her work with Gang of Four; a band that hugely influenced Flea and RHCP as just one example?

Edited by Old Man Riva

Music journalism aimed at musicians is awful for excluding women. And that needs to change. One magazine that is doing amazing things is She Shreds. Check them out over here: [url="http://sheshredsmag.com/"]http://sheshredsmag.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Female drummers also have their own magazine

[url="https://issuu.com/tomtommagazine"]https://issuu.com/tomtommagazine[/url]

(isssue 24 has an interesting article on time)

This.

Music journalism aimed at musicians is awful for excluding women. And that needs to change. One magazine that is doing amazing things is She Shreds. Check them out over here: http://sheshredsmag.com/
[/quote]

I subscribed to She Shreds. Received a copy in January - great! Nothing since then. I'm beginning to wonder if they've gone out of business.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1459106188' post='3013599']

I subscribed to She Shreds. Received a copy in January - great! Nothing since then. I'm beginning to wonder if they've gone out of business.
[/quote]

I think they've been putting shows on recently? Still got a decent online presence. They might be late because they're a relatively small American based group?

[quote name='probablypike' timestamp='1459109547' post='3013633']

I think they've been putting shows on recently? Still got a decent online presence. They might be late because they're a relatively small American based group?
[/quote]

I looked on line..they are still featuring the copy I already have. Hopefully they will produce another one at some point!

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1459091586' post='3013469']
It's a fair point but it's hugely inhibiting (and widely open to debate) when it's referenced as 'shaping' music.

If they're trying to promote positive reaction to female players then surely reference players who have 'inspired' - with a little artistic licence you could legitimately name any/every female who has ever been near a bass guitar and say that someone has been influenced by them.

So, Annie Holland from Elastica would get a mention, ditto Tessa Pollitt from The Slits and Este Haim from Haim and Tracy Wormworth, along with Gail Anne Dorsey and Gaye Advert (both mentioned above) and countless others.

And if they are going to reference someone shaping modern music (which is an incredibly difficult thing to quantify) then why leave out Sara Lee and her work with Gang of Four; a band that hugely influenced Flea and RHCP as just one example?
[/quote]

It's just one person's opinion, I don't think the article is trying to be a definitive summation of the state of the art !

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1459112621' post='3013667']
It's just one person's opinion, I don't think the article is trying to be a definitive summation of the state of the art !
[/quote]
That's alright then, I'll calm myself down!

(*Mumbles to himself*... "still don't know why Sara Lee wasn't mentioned... bloody lists for this and that and the other etc etc and no Sara Lee...")

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1459113363' post='3013676']
That's alright then, I'll calm myself down!

(*Mumbles to himself*... "still don't know why Sara Lee wasn't mentioned... bloody lists for this and that and the other etc etc and no Sara Lee...")
[/quote]

:)

I do agree with you, I think that she's a greater influence bass-wise than Kim Gordon for example...who has made a much greater contribution in general as a singer and lyricist for SY than as a bassist...IMHO.

Edited by ahpook

IMO to have "shaped modern music" you have to have achieved more than being a good player or having been in a famous band.

Willie Dixon, Paul McCartney, Larry Graham and James Jamerson are the only bass players I know, of either sex, who could claim to have actually shaped modern music.

Edited by chris_b

All great bassists in their own right, but to say they 'Shaped modern music' is a bit of a stretch, you could most likely say that about Kaye which is fair. But there has to be only a handful of bass players in general that you could say really 'shaped modern music'