Why become a member? ×

Our gigs cancelled at request of 'name' tribute act

DaytonaRik

As some of you may know, I play in a Thin Lizzy cover band (definitely not a tribute act unless Phil Lynott had a goatee!) and one of our guitarists contacted me yesterday to inform me that The Fishpond, Matlock Bath has cancelled two gigs this year - 16th April and 10th December - at the request of Limehouse Lizzy who are playing the same venue on 25th June. We play the pub on a free entry basis whilst Limehouse play the much larger ballroom as a ticketed event.

I could perhaps understand if the dates within a month although I'd still be a bit ticked off, but I more than a little angry about this as their date isn't until 25th June. The same thing happened last year, and we were also prevented from playing at The Flowerpot, Derby with a similar exclusivity reason.

Has anyone else come across anything similar? My mates have said to take it as a compliment/flattery!!!! I may have a few jokes at their expense at future gigs about this one. As Simon put it - "Performing another artist's work whilst protecting it for their own financial and ego gain"? Seems that way to me too.

Edited by DaytonaRik

It is a form of flattery, however I`d be annoyed about it. I think the period of a month is reasonable, anything after that isn`t, in my opinion.

Similar things happen with some venues in London, if you`ve a gig booked In some venues one of their clauses is that you don't play any other London venues within one month.

Barring clauses in England always used to be 4 weeks plus distance radius (ten miles, if I remember right), but it's probably all changed by now - it never was a lot of use - it only works if the venues want it to.
I think this possibly is now a 'restrictive trade practice' - argue & never work again?

:yarr:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457691202' post='3000950']
Similar things happen with some venues in London, if you`ve a gig booked In some venues one of their clauses is that you don't play any other London venues within one month.
[/quote]

Yeah, no one pays any attention to that though.

They do.

Venues have told my bands that if we play the gig half a mile down the road we won't get booked at their venue. It's business. You don't split your customer base or audiences.

It's tough and "unfair" but totally predictable. The tribute band is trying to sell tickets and they see a band doing the same act playing for free at the same venue. Sorry, if this was me I know that I'd be doing the same thing.

If you are a member of the Musicians Union and have a contract for the gig, I'd speak to them as you may be entitled to part payment or compensation. Even if you don't have a written contract then any promo material that may exist to confirm that the gig was indeed booked might go in your favour.

I guess if it's your business, you'd want to protect it however, the timeline seems a little harsh. It's not as if you're playing the night before. I've met Wayne a couple of times and stood in for three numbers as second guitar at a charity gig as only three of them turned up. I must say, he comes across as a really nice guy despite being the star of the show.

Maybe they've heard you and it is in fact a compliment of some sorts. Goatee or not, they may still view you as real competition.

I've never heard of them, but that may have something to do with my particular taste in music.

Personally I'd tell the venue that you're not happy, and that you're going to speak to the MU about getting compensation. See if that does any good.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457695265' post='3000998']
It's a standard approach. Especially in the theatre. They won't allow a touring version of any play planned or actually running in the West End. Even school Am Drams get refused.
[/quote]

This.

We've had plays turned down because the show has been touring. Essentially, if someone else is putting the show on then you can't.

Line house Lizzy may even have the same contract with the remaining original musicians/copyright holders of Thin Lizzy. The big tribute acts are often closely linked to the original artists. I wouldn't have thought an 'official' tribute act will be operating under the radar for long.

Playing covers in a pub band is one thing, but these tribute acts are big business.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1457697051' post='3001023']
Seems a bit cheeky to me seeing as they're a cover band as well.
[/quote]

Exactly this. There is no affiliation with Thin Lizzy as far as I'm aware - Black Star Riders continue to tour with the occasional official Thin Lizzy gigs for good measure.

We are taking it as a HUGE compliment as we already know of punters who have elected to come and watch us for free in/around derby in lieu of forking out nearly £20 to watch Limehouse play locally the next night.

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1457708380' post='3001189']
We are taking it as a HUGE compliment as we already know of punters who have elected to come and watch us for free in/around derby in lieu of forking out nearly £20 to watch Limehouse play locally the next night.
[/quote]

And that's exactly why your other gigs have been cancelled. Why pay to see one Not!Thin Lizzy when you can see another for free?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457708688' post='3001192']

And that's exactly why your other gigs have been cancelled. Why pay to see one Not!Thin Lizzy when you can see another for free?
[/quote]

I get this if it was a few days apart but two months?

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1457709098' post='3001200']
I get this if it was a few days apart but two months?
[/quote]

I suppose it depends how often the average punter wants to go and see a Thin Lizzy tribute band. It would appear the venues think no more than 4 or 5 times a year ;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457709448' post='3001203']

I suppose it depends how often the average punter wants to go and see a Thin Lizzy tribute band. It would appear the venues think no more than 4 or 5 times a year ;-)
[/quote]
Obviously our growing band of followers don't fall into this category...thankfully

I guess you should try to turn this to your advantage.

Try to get a local gig (promote yourselves if you have to) and advertise the hell out of it, including this "issue" and make people come to see you to find out what all the fuss was about.